PDA

View Full Version : Wood Veneer Advice

robin
13-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Hi guys,

I know you are a knowledgeable mob, so I'm after a bit of advice for my next project. I would like to try and put some wood veneer on a TL body.

What do I need to know? What to buy, what not to buy, where to get it, how to glue it, what glue etc? Basically everything.

I've googled, and found a few good sites, but I was just wondering if anybody here has any first hand knowledge.

Any help greatly appreciated.

rob

ultpanzi
13-12-2014, 06:59 AM
I've never veneered a guitar before but I've veneered other stuff and I just used regular wood glue and a sheet of metal with cloth over it to clamp onto the veneer to prevent bubbles. Ben Crow from Crimson Guitars uses some foam thing to prevent bubbling so you might want to check out his videos. Sorry, I dont know where to buy it, I had some given to me previously but nowadays when I look around online theyre either tiny or bloody expensive.

wokkaboy
13-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Hey Robin,
we got a few mixed bags of veneers from Huon Pine Furniture http://www.huonpinefurniture.com.au
They are based in Tasmania.
They were at the Perth wood show in August. There was about 8 different varieties but they should be able to supply veneer for the size of a tele top.
I just use tightbond glue but you will need a heap of clamps when gluing it on so it stays flat. I'd suggest putting a sheet of wood over the veneer when you glue it.
Sure some of the Bris Vegas boys have suggested some local or Qld veneer suppliers but can't remember them.
Can't go past the grain in the blackheart sassafras, the sheet front left of the attached photo and same slab my scratch tele is made of. Looks sensational on headstocks too ! Front right is camphor. Spotted one 6th on right is red myrtle
Good luck mate

WeirdBits
13-12-2014, 09:59 AM
I've been considering something like that myself for a future project, so I'll definitely be watching yours... no pressure. I've only worked on maple headstocks with veneers .6-1mm thick using Titebond, so my experience is limited. But, I'd suggest working out exactly what you want and then you can sort through how to achieve it, and the forum can (hopefully) help with any issues, pros/cons, techniques and obstacles. For example:

What thickness of veneer are you wanting to use, and will you be binding it or just keeping the standard TL rounded edge? Are you wanting a one piece veneer or bookmatched pair? Cost issues? Are you veneering just the top or the back as well? Will you need to plug/fill/modify any routs or cavities, as that may require matching the wood density to minimise the risk of the veneer splitting from uneven expansion. The softness of basswood could be an issue with thinner veneers etc. At least, that's the sort of stuff I'd start with.

AJ
13-12-2014, 10:51 AM
is ok to use the pva glue or tite bond ( the latter is better ), Most professionals use a vacuum bag to set the veneer, especially over a curved or un-even surface, that is how I used to do foam wings for the jets I used to make using fiberglass to make composite light weight wings . However, you can glue the veneer down then place some "glad wrap or grease proof paper over the veneer then weight it down with a piece of wood that covers the area completely then clamp or put a load of bricks on it till the glue sets.

Scott J.
13-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I've always found a good source of veneers (and far cheaper than some of the "boutique" timber merchants) to be plywood manufacturers ... tho' admittedly they don't usually stock some of your more exotic timber veneers but generally seem to have at least a range of half-a-dozen or so nice ones in a variety of thickness from sub-1mm up to around 5mm or more ... and at the least it makes for a cheaper option for materials to get some practice and experimentation in while you hone your technique

... plus, Scott (WeirdBits - the other Scott) raises a good point about binding ... I'd think that if you're using a thicker veneer (say 3mm-4mm or more) you might be able to get away without a binding (depending upon the timber being used), but anything thinner is going to be pretty fragile around the edges when it comes to the inevitable knocks and bumps (and the risk of lifting/chipping off the veneer) and a binding would almost be mandatory (for durability) - but either way its going to be a risk! ... e.g. on most old quality-build veneered cabinetry, the veneer wasn't carried all the way to edge - the veneer sections were usually "framed" on their outer edges with solid timber (for protection - same effect as provided by binding on a guitar)

Brendan
13-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Robin - have been looking into veneers for another hobby - (bentwood rings) topveneer.com.au is a good place to start. Based in QLD, shipping is about $16. What sort of wood are you looking for? I might have a bit of jarrah / some other dark wood ?redgum?, some ash and some hoop pine here that is surplus to requirements, so if any of those is up your alley, let me know.

Nickosaurus
13-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Robin as mentioned above Ben from Crimson Guitars does great demos.

Search him on Youtube and you'll find a wealth of top tier knowledge

robin
14-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, once again the Forums come to the rescue.

@ Ultpanzi
Yeah I've seen some of Ben Crow's videos, I will check out his one on veneers.

@ Woks
Thanks Warren, I will check out the link and the glue suggestion. Your Blackheart Sassafras looks awesome mate. I have penciled that in if I can get it.

@ Weirdy
Thanks Scott, you have given me heaps to think about. I'll let that stuff rattle around the old brain box for a few days. I would prefer something over 1mm thick, but unfortunately it appears that most veneers are less than that.

@ AJ
Thanks AJ, unfortunately I don't have a vacuum bag so will be using wood and clamps. Thanks for the tip of using glad wrap/grease proof paper.

@ Scott,
Thanks Scott, I will try some plywood manufacturers and see what they have. I was hoping not to use binding as I don't have a router. Once the "photo shoot" is over and I start paying a guitar, I'm not that precious about dings and chips.

@ Bendan
Thanks for the offer of some veneer mate, but you keep it for future projects. I will buy just enough for this project and see how I go. I may never want to look at veneer again after this lol.

@ Nick
I watched one of Ben's videos of him relicing a stunning brand new PRS guitar. After about ten minutes of scratching, banging, and chipping away at this beautiful guitar his classic quote was "my soul is now dead".

Thanks again guys, you have all given me heaps to think about.
rob