PDA

View Full Version : Ib5 wiring

ponch
09-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Hey guys. I'm wiring an ib5 for a mate, but I can only get one pup to work at a time. Basically I wire the bridge to a lug and it works, but neck won't work when soldered to the other output lug, then I switch the lugs and the neck will work and bridge won't. As it's a stereo jack, do I need a stereo lead?

pablopepper
10-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Don't know how you've got your pots wired up, but a stereo barrel jack should be wired the same as a regular mono jack. One ground and one hot. So, there will be three lugs, but you only want to use two.

ponch
10-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Yep but by doing that if I kill the volume on the neck or bridge, it kills the other. The pbg diagram has one earth and each hot from the pots to each one of the Jack lugs. With a standard mono cable, only the pup wired to shortest lug works, whether it's Bridge or neck.

pablopepper
10-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Sounds like some funkiness in the wiring before the jack and that diagram is wrong then. A mono cable can only get signal from one of those lugs. I think Wierdbits is gonna be the go to guy once again. :)

ponch
10-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Yeah man. I have a stereo headphone adaptor that I plugged into the bass, then a stereo lead to the aux in of my amp and both pups worked as they should. From all the ibanez control layouts I looked at, there was more often a blend pot instead of dedicated volume for each pup which would allow a mono out. So it'd be master volume, blend, dedicated tones.

pablopepper
10-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Yeah, that's odd. Just looked at the diagram, I'm positive that both the hot leads should go to one lug, but that doesn't explain the volume pot killing the other pickup.

wokkaboy
10-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Hey Andrew, I've recently helped Dennis wire his IB5 and the PBG needs correcting. The stereo jack should have one connection to hot and earth and one shouldn't be used, unless as you say you used a stereo jack.
I found another diagram ages ago I used for my IB5 but not happy with it.
If I get time I'll look for a better diagram, but Weirdy may be able to knock you up a diagram for 2 vol, 2 tone, no switch and stereo output jack

ponch
10-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Ok sweet thanks Wokka. Yeah both pups to the shortest lug worked, but if you turn down a volume pot fully, it kills both pups.

wokkaboy
10-12-2014, 09:10 AM
yeah I've been meaning to tell Brendan the PBG diagram is wrong. Good chance our best mate Weirdy will see this thread and come up with a suitable diagram. I did a quick google search for 2 vol, 2 tone, no switch, stereo jack and not much came up, but you could use the diagram attached and treat neck and bridge pups separately as the diagram then link the hot tip wires

ponch
10-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks mate. Only drama is because both pups are on the same output with no switch, when u kill a volume pot, it sends the signal to ground. As both pups are on the same output, it'll still kill both.

ponch
10-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Weirdy! Help!

WeirdBits
10-12-2014, 09:24 AM
You've got the output wired to the middle lug on the volume pots with the pickups on the outside lugs, right? When you're wiring a bass without a switch you need the pickup to go the volume's middle lug and the output to the outside lug. That way, when you turn down the volume of one pickup it doesn't affect the other pickup. This is the difference between 'linked volumes' and 'independent volume' wiring.

Regarding the stereo jack, if you plug in a mono lead the sleeve of the plug will short the jack's 'extra' stereo lug to ground so you have to wire it like a mono jack if you'll be using a mono lead.

ponch
10-12-2014, 09:28 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/ce83eb0ac962a16e283479c05d8c1cc7.jpg

Thanks mate. This is the diagram I used. The pup that gets soldered to the medium lug won't work, but the pup on the shortest will. What would I need to change on this to have it work with a mono lead?

WeirdBits
10-12-2014, 09:37 AM
To get the stereo jack to work with a mono lead just wire it like it's a mono jack, that is, output (hot) to just the short lug with nothing on the 'ring' lug and ground to the sleeve lug.

This diagram (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=424&d=1416477431) shows how to wire a two pickup bass with independent volume controls:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=424&d=1416477431

wokkaboy
10-12-2014, 09:57 AM
cheers Weirdy, thats the same as the diagram I used. I wondered why hot lugs and connection to tone pot was reversed.
I learnt something today - nice one

ponch
10-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Weirdy, again, you are a legend. Thanks mate.

WeirdBits
10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Not a problem.

wokkaboy
10-12-2014, 02:16 PM
we might have to start a new thread and a website

www.Weirdbits_fan_club.com.au

hahahahaa

ponch
10-12-2014, 02:16 PM
I'll be secretary.

ponch
10-12-2014, 02:17 PM
And official pom pom waver.

wokkaboy
10-12-2014, 02:17 PM
haha I'll be his first trainee cause I got a heap to learn about electronics and wiring

Brendan
10-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Wokks - I'll be second - thanks for that guys - always open to hear about issues with the diagrams - will fix it tonight and get a new one out to Ads by the morning.

WeirdBits
10-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Brendan, your diagram is correct for stereo output, with one pickup per channel, but it will only work with a stereo lead (I wonder what lead comes with the kit? I've never actually checked). I suspect most builders will just be wanting a standard mono output though, so that means a 2V 2T with independent volumes diagram.

Actually, all it would take is the addition of one push/pull pot and you could make the output switchable between mono and stereo... nah too complex for bass players ;)

Brendan
10-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Ouch!

Thanks for that - the original diagram had been through DB and Gav, so I thought it was OK. I've made the changes suggested
and updated the diagram - it's off to Adam to put it in the right place... in the meantime, I've attached it here.

WeirdBits
10-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Looks good to me.

One thing I was thinking about recently with the PBG diagrams is the volume pot ground lug, should they also be drawn with a solder point on them (or at least, half on them)? Not an issue for experienced builders but it could easily be missed by those new to wiring. Not sure if it needed or worth it though.

ponch
10-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Second what weirdy said. The ib5 came to me wired, well kind of, but vol earth's were missing caus he didn't know what the folded back lug meant.

Brendan
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Can do - will make the change over the next week or so... Given that there's a bit of work involved for Adam, it may take him a little longer to put them up. If there's ever any feedback on wiring diagrams like this, happy to hear it - I'm keen to make them better for everyone.

BTW - do people want to see both the stereo and mono diagrams for the IB-5 on the wiring diagrams page or just the mono?

WeirdBits
11-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I'd expect the mono to be the 1st choice for the majority, but as long as they're clearly marked I don't see why you can't have both available. Perhaps add a caveat to the stereo diagram statng that it requires a stereo lead etc, as that's a potential pitfall for builders. And, maybe add a 'recommended' tag to the mono diagram to point them in the right direction?

(Just out of interest I'll have a rummage later and see which lead was supplied with my IB-5 kit)

WeirdBits
12-12-2014, 10:34 AM
I just checked and the IB-5 is supplied with a standard mono lead (at least mine was), so I'm guessing the stereo jack is simply because that's their default style of flush-mount jack. Given that anyone who specifically wants a stereo bass is likely to already know what they're doing, or know someone who does, it may be best just to offer the mono diagram so as not to confuse people. Thoughts?

wokkaboy
12-12-2014, 10:39 AM
yeah Weirdy my and Dennis's IB5 kits were supplied with a mono lead. I think leave the diagram as it is (mono) and if anyone requests a stereo diagram we can point them into the right direction