PDA

View Full Version : Request from Hungary

adam
07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok folks, anyone want to offer up a finished guitar for our friend in Hungary?

Here's his email:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Norbert Michael I live in Hungary. Car accident at the age of 19 I lost my left leg. I really like to play the guitar. I really like the guitar (6-string), but I have no money.
I'll have the gift of a electric guitar kit .
I've never not develop as much money. guitar to buy

grateful thanks

Mihalyi Norbert
Phone: +36 70 6450333
trombitas1@gmail.com
title
Mihalyi Norbert
Budapest 1188
Damjanich utca 85 / B
Hungary

Edit: Pit Bull Guitars will cover the postage.

Scott J.
08-12-2014, 04:57 AM
If it is a genuine request ...

Then "damn straight" ... glad to help ... 'tho would have trouble deciding on which one to part with as all my builds to date are special (to me) ... so I'd much prefer to build one specially for him

... which asks the question, "which model would be most appropriate for someone like our wheelchair-bound friend? ... I'm thinking that maybe the V's, EX's, MB's or larger hollow-bodies might not be as suitable as something smaller like a Jnr, LP, ST, etc (ok, fellow-builders, opinions and feedback required on suitable model for someone wheelchair-bound)

Alternatively, (and just an idea here for anyone else who's in a charitable frame of mind)

... seeing as I think its always nice for someone to get as good a quality build as possible (and that there's a lot more competent builders out there than me), maybe those amongst us in the "PBG Fan Club" can chip in to cover the cost of the kit, materials and time/skill for DB to build him one?

Thoughts? ...

Gavin1393
08-12-2014, 06:10 AM
http://guitarofchina.com/goods-77-PRS+Experience+Run+Electric+Guitar.html

Same message.....

Their admin responded on 24th November.

Admin Replay:I’ll send you an email later,please kindly check it.

Does he have an amp?

pablopepper
08-12-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm sorry, I might just be jaded, but can we dig a little further before anyone sends off a guitar here. I'm all for a charitable donation, but I don't want to see anyone get scammed. I have a few Hungarian friends I can ask to translate a request for further information if needed.

AJ
08-12-2014, 07:04 AM
I thought about this last night whilst trying to get some sleep.. A lot of scams do come from that area of the world, along the lines of what pablo has said..
If he is genuine, then maybe we have a little collection and get the master to build a kit to send to him (good idea Scott).

adam
08-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys, I was a few whiskeys in when that came through last night and it hit a nerve. However, seeing as he's been fishing on other sites, I think we just ignore this one. If we give this guy a guitar, we might set a precedent that could become a negative when we're not giving away free guitars left and right.

I am working on another charitable exercise, so I'll fill you all in on that when I have confirmed the details. But it's good to see that a sense of charity is strong in this community, I will be sure to tap that for genuine, worthwhile ventures in the future.

Scott J.
08-12-2014, 06:38 PM
... at least you had the excuse of a "couple of scotch's", Adam! ... embarrassingly, I fell for it with the proverbial "hook, line and sinker" and I was both sober AND straight! (dang it!) :D ... good catch there, Gav

Gavin1393
08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Seems a wise decision to me Ad's.

As an aside I received a letter the other day addressed to "Mr. Gavin" informing me of a Nigerian relative I had with the same surname of "Gavin"....I've been left $20,000,000!
That these B@$t@rd$ will invest $1 on a stamp, envelope and stationary just shows that there are still those amongst us (who believe we have Nigerian relatives) and that these relatives somehow were filthy rich and we never knew about them. Of course in my case, the letter comes from my deceased relative's barrister so there's your vote of confidence right there! Anyone need a loan? :P

Brendan
08-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Good call Ads - there are plenty of charities that would benefit from a PBG that are legit and have decent structures in place to make sure that the people that are receiving services are really needy.

jarrod
08-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi My name is Jarrod and I really want some one to buy me a Ferrari as I really like driving and I have no money to buy one.
can anyone help me out and give me one.

Gavin1393
08-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Hi My name is Jarrod and I really want some one to buy me a Ferrari as I really like driving and I have no money to buy one.
can anyone help me out and give me one.
What happened to your CNC? Is it broken? I thought it could make ANYTHING!!!

When my $20,000,000 inheritance lands here, I'll get us each one Jarod AND a CNC for me! Can't wait!

jarrod
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
What happened to your CNC? Is it broken? I thought it could make ANYTHING!!!

When my $20,000,000 inheritance lands here, I'll get us each one Jarod AND a CNC for me! Can't wait!

It's not that I can't make one Gav it's just Matching that colour red is difficult.

wokkaboy
11-12-2014, 12:15 PM
yeah matching Ferrari red would be difficult Jrod. How about Gavmiester has a nice pink stretched limmo for sale done in conch girl ?

jarrod
11-12-2014, 06:56 PM
wow wudtone stocks just went up .

wokkaboy
12-12-2014, 08:02 AM
haha yeah Jrod, think DB only sold about 2 conch girl kits so the rest of it went on Gavmiesters limmo and his HB4 bass haha

stan
12-12-2014, 11:42 AM
happy to help for any legit cause, but we need to make sure our due diligence is rigorous

adam
12-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Agreed Stan. I'm embarrassed I sent that one through, but it struck a personal nerve. I'll tell you guys my Ukrainian secret Santa story one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jarrod
12-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Mmmmm Ad's Im intrigued

DrNomis_44
16-01-2015, 01:48 AM
Seems a wise decision to me Ad's.

As an aside I received a letter the other day addressed to "Mr. Gavin" informing me of a Nigerian relative I had with the same surname of "Gavin"....I've been left $20,000,000!
That these B@$t@rd$ will invest $1 on a stamp, envelope and stationary just shows that there are still those amongst us (who believe we have Nigerian relatives) and that these relatives somehow were filthy rich and we never knew about them. Of course in my case, the letter comes from my deceased relative's barrister so there's your vote of confidence right there! Anyone need a loan? :P

That sounds like a classic Nigerian scam if ever I saw one, I tend to operate on the principle of "If it's too good to be true, it usually is", soon as I get an email with a very big sum of money mentioned, and it talks of a Nigerian relative, or person I've never met, know about, or never even knew existed, I tend to "smell a rat", that's when I delete the email.

dave.king1
16-01-2015, 03:50 AM
I'm an admin over on Ozclubbies.com and we check all validating member IP addresses for location when they have generic email addresses such as gmail and hotmail.

Potential new members from certain rather obvious countries are deleted immediately, it's a bit easier with ozclubbies members because some countries don't have home built car cultures whereas every country & culture has music.

Helps prevent the forum from being spammed and scammed.

Edited to ad. Tell us more about the charitable thing you have in mind

DrNomis_44
20-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I received an email from some lady purporting to be undergoing surgery to remove cancer from her body, in my email junk folder, the person who sent the email wanted me to help them donate over 12 million dollars to some charity, as soon as I read the email I smelled a rat, and knew that it was "too good to be true", the grammar used in the email didn't sound right either, so I though to myself "yep, Nigerian scam", I then deleted the email from my junk folder.

Here's what the person wrote in the email:

My Dear Friend,

My name is Mrs. Christiane F. McKenzie from Nassau, Bahamas I am going on a cancer surgery 6 days from this day. You should contact the Security Company listed below this message with this information: Personal Reference Number MET/CFM/ITB/SN015 of my trunk box that I saved with the Security Company The boxes contains $12,380,000.00 USD. I here by donate this money to you help the poor and for the good work of our lord earth. Because I am sure of
marking it alive from this surgical procedure.

Note: The Security Company doesn't know contents in the trunk box as CASH it was declared Family Treasure & Valuables; so do not disclose this to the Security Company when you are contact with them it is important for you be conscious and make it a top secret.

Please if you know deep in your mind that you can help me archived my aim for these funds, you should forward your full contact details on receipt on this mail. This will enable communicate with the Security Company to release the trunk boxes to you on my behind.

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.

Yours Truly,

Mrs. Christiane F. McKenzie

maxaxe
20-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Reprehensible, unscrupulous, heartless, fraudulent bastards.

DrNomis_44
20-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Reprehensible, unscrupulous, heartless, fraudulent bastards.

My thoughts exactly, not only that, the person who sent the email to me had the gall to call me a friend even though I had never met the person in my whole life, and didn't know them from a bar of soap, I think the person who wrote the email is a morally bankrupt person.

All I have to say to the person who wrote the email is this, if Justice doesn't catch up to you, Karma will.

dave.king1
23-01-2015, 02:35 PM
A really obnoxious person I used to work with called everyone mate, she peed everyone off with her attitude.

One day I snapped after the greeting and fired back " dogs mate, I am not mate" :-)