PDA

View Full Version : January 2015 Guitar of the Month Competition

adam
06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars January 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Remember:

One guitar per member per month (if we have more than 8 entries)
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Post your photos in this thread.

Competition for January closes 31 December 2014.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the December GOTM, VH2580.

Tim
07-12-2014, 04:59 PM
well I will be the first cab of the rank.
JB-4 HELLBOY
Defretted
Stone inlay
Black oil dye on fretboard
New black hardware
Tuning machines
Control panel
Control knobs
Bridge
Schaller strap buttons
Made a new pick guard
Bone nut
Rotosound Steve Harris Flatwound strings
Karijini Red stain to the body and head stock
Vitamin Q Cap
All other electrics are standard

adam
07-12-2014, 05:16 PM
That is so good Tim. So understated, but so sophisticated. I think this would really appeal to the "old school" JB players.

wokkaboy
07-12-2014, 05:24 PM
well done Tim you didn't waste any time entering and why would you, going to be bloody hard to beat this stunner ! I'd advise hiding it from DB !

andrewdosborne
07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Nice, smooth fretless bass. Out of the starting blocks with a stunner.

WeirdBits
07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
... and we have our winner.

Brendan
07-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Tim - you've outdone yourself! That is a cool bass.

Nickosaurus
07-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Love it. That inlay is worldclass mate.

Scott J.
08-12-2014, 05:06 AM
Tim, I think you might have just scared off anyone else from entering this month! :D ... superb piece of workmanship!

pablopepper
08-12-2014, 06:59 AM
OK, wrap it up folks, we're done here. See you all next month. :)

Awesome stuff, Tim.

ponch
08-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Yep, there goes the neighbourhood. What an amazing bass mate.

ultpanzi
08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
That's looking great. Im guessing DB had a great time removing the speed humps.

Tim
09-12-2014, 07:50 PM
No I removed my own speed humps. I can now understand the joy it brings to DB

stan
10-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Hellboy rocks, Tim. That is a nice bass, sir

andrewdosborne
14-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Here is a brave second entry. My daughters ST-1. I managed to prize it out of her fingers (was practicing Voodoo Child ;) )

Plays and sounds awesome, all stock. I was surprised how nice the basswood came up. This was finished in azure sky Wudtone mixed with 50 % white base. We had to rewire the jack today (dodgy soldering..) and peeled off the pick guard protector to officially finish this axe.

Only thing I had to do was move the strap button around a bit to stop strap coming off as the guitar is bottom heavy on a small person.

vh2580
16-12-2014, 04:07 PM
ST1A in Colourtone green.
Standard Pitbull kit
no upgrades except black hardware kit.

vh2580
16-12-2014, 04:09 PM
And more headstock and body.

gavinturner
16-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Three amazing entries this month so far! Well done guys. That's the podium filled already, but in what order I wonder? Great work!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-12-2014, 07:55 AM
nice ST and STA entries Andrew and Tony, looks like the bar is set high again, and with Hellboy, another tough month ahead

stan
17-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Andrew that is a very clean strat, your daughter must be very happy with it.

Tony that green and black combo is something else, outstanding combo, nice job

ARusso
22-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Hi guys,

First time builder here, had a lot of fun with this.

Model is the JM-1 'JagMaster'.
Steve Vai/DNA inspired inlay was bought from some online store and I think it goes well with the white paint.

The Poly I applied did give the white finish a few faint yellow streaks that can only be seen in the right light, but apart from that, it's perfect in my eyes.

Special mention to Adam for sending me a replacement bridge saddle due to one of mine being mangled to the point where no allen key would fit into it.

Anyway here is my entry for GOTM, hope you like it!

Scott J.
22-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Really great first build AR ... there's not much like a good Jag and you've certainly got a nice one there! ... good luck in the GOTM

adam
22-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey ARusso, glad you got the bridge worked out. I was just saying to Dingobass the other day that his JM-1 build, which I have at my place, is one of the nicest guitars to play. Yours looks very cool. Love what you've done with the inlay.

wokkaboy
23-12-2014, 08:19 AM
nice one Arusso, the inlay does suit the build nicely, you got to be happy for a first build, another tough month ahead !

andrewdosborne
23-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Nice Jag, and love the inlay along the neck

ARusso
23-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words!

It really sounds great Adam, clear and clean tone to it and fun to play

Can't wait to build another one, thinking a TL-1TH once it's back in stock :)

4D Guitars
27-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Hi, Wayne from 4D, here's my entry for January GOTM. This was a xmas present built for a family friend's daughter who has been bullied at school, just got it finished in time.
Its an ST-1 kit finished in pearl purple and black back/sides. Headstock veneer is camphor. Neck is a very thinned down yellow stain.
Here are front, front close and headstock pics

4D Guitars
27-12-2014, 10:04 AM
here is the back photo, top photo and a close up of the engraved neck plate. We saw a video of Karlee playing it on xmas day and the smile and joy it brought to her was priceless.

robin
27-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Nice one Wayne.

I don't care if it wins GOTM or not, you made a Karlee very happy, so that makes it a winner in my books.

Karlee is very lucky to have someone like you on her side.

God Bless you mate.
rob

vh2580
27-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Love the colour on this Wayne and the thought behind it.

stan
27-12-2014, 04:17 PM
nice work ARusso

Great Strat and sentiment Wayne, cool axe!

bargeloobs
28-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Wow great job ARusso, first time build? Man you look like a seasoned pro, I'd love to build one of these one day. Nicely done.

bargeloobs
28-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Damn Tony, how good does that green look with the black hardware, I love it!

bargeloobs
28-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Amazing job Tim, it's gonna take something pretty special to top this one, simply beautiful!

bargeloobs
28-12-2014, 11:08 AM
here is the back photo, top photo and a close up of the engraved neck plate. We saw a video of Karlee playing it on xmas day and the smile and joy it brought to her was priceless.

So much more than just a build, commendable effort man!

ARusso
28-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Wow great job ARusso, first time build? Man you look like a seasoned pro, I'd love to build one of these one day. Nicely done.

Wow, thanks Barge! I am quite meticulous when it comes to doing anything in my life, so that may be why this came out so well haha

Definitely looking forward to making the next one and hopefully doing an even better job with what I've manage to learn so far :)

wokkaboy
29-12-2014, 04:27 PM
G'day, here is my entry for January GOTM, its an ash TL kit, done in FW jarrah and Dingotone outback sunset burst. Neck is DT orange as well. Headstock veneer is something new red myrtle, didn't need much staining that is almost the natural colour !
Upgraded to the gold hardware and put Bourns pots in and the 4 way switch. Sounds good on the in series setting.
I also found a new spot to photograph the axe, and what better than mini orb in front of the 4D bar !
These kits come with a white pickguard so had a spare black guard from an alder TL kit so the black suited the dark ash grain better than the white

wokkaboy
29-12-2014, 04:37 PM
here's photos of the back, and neck

wokkaboy
29-12-2014, 04:39 PM
here's some pics that Ads took while he was taking pics of sample Dingtone colours.
This is the amazing part I managed to leave PBG HQ with this axe, I know not many of the forum will believe me.
DB saw it first hand at the 4D xmas party a week ago

andrewdosborne
29-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Wokka, a mighty fine tele if I do say so myself. Simply stunning.

andrewdosborne
29-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Wayne, great axe and personalised neck plate, will give Karlee great strength and comfort to help her deal with the bullying and knowing that others care.

stan
29-12-2014, 05:35 PM
superb tele Wokka!!

Nickosaurus
29-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice finish on that tele.

ihasmario
01-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Really great to see so many charitable builds going to other people this month!

Rob L
04-01-2015, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't want to be the one who has to pick.

Tim that bass is just sweet!
Being a Tele man I just love Wokka's Tele.
That is great color Andrew!
Tony that green and black is in your face in a great way!
Love that inlay AR! And Jags rock.
Wayne I just dig that purple. When I get my Rick kit I wanna do it in purple.

You guys are slowly making me a fan of the colored natural wood look.

adam
05-01-2015, 06:57 PM
The scores are in!

Thanks to the Judges for their scores and comments.

Here are all the comments from the judges, in submission order:

Tim's Hellboy JB-4

"The attention to detail is astounding, that has to be some of the best inlay work i have ever seen. Well done that man!"
"Lovely stone inlays really bring this to life. I think the body could have been better and that would have made this a real work of art."
"Wow great detail (not really a fan of the colour but that’s not relevant) looks fantastic. Obviously a huge amount of time and effort has gone into this build."
"Hell Yes! - fantastic job… Extra points for trying something new. Love the work on the inlay and the overall simplicity of the colours! Would be drawn to this to at least look at it. Hopefully it’ll be a beast to play."
"Such an impressive build on so many levels; original, striking, dynamic."

Andrew Osborne's ST-1

"Beautifully done, such a nice job on the finish. Extra mark for your Daughter playing Hendrix :)"
"Very good nicely finished."
"Beautifully done – azure not my favourite colour – but has really worked for this ST!"
"A well executed, classic finish, would be a welcome addition to any collection."

VH2580's STA-1

"The only thing i could find is a slight blemish, (possibly a glue mark)? Near the output. Otherwise very nice indeed."
"Very vibrant and well put together. Could it be two in a row! while I have promised myself no more greens or blues in my own collection this green has made me think again."
"Nicely finished it must have taken many hours to get that glossy finish."
"Fantastic colour choice – clean and nicely done. Minus ˝ point as no logo – this is a more than nice guitar – be proud and put your name on it!"
"Very well executed gloss finish, cannot fault this build."

ARusso's JM-1

"First build? Wow...."
"Great first effort."
"Nice, I like plain white guitars for some reason."
"Great choice of colours and outcome – missing a logo, but apart from that a very credible first guitar!"
"Classic look for a Jazzmaster/Mustang, Kurt would have loved this one."

Waynes ST-1

"This is one of the best finishes I have seen you pull off Popeye. But what makes this guitar really stand out is the intent behind it and the passion with which it was built."
"Awesome story behind this guitar. The guitar will be a prised possession for sure. Quality of Wayne's builds is improved in leaps and bounds."
"Fantastic colour great sentiment."
"Overall nice attention to detail – not sure that I’d be making a beeline to with the headstock veneer / black back. that said, it looks like it would be special for Karlee and that’s all that matters!"
"One of the best ST-1 builds I've seen. Well done Uncle Wayne!"

Wokka's TLA-1
"They just keep getting better Woks."
"Awesome Tele. Minused a point for the unbelievable story that he was able to escape the telenapper with the guitar. Clearly never went near the telenappers because NO-ONE escapes the Telenapper."
"Great work I think this is the best yet from Wokka."
"Another nice Wokka Tele! What more can I say!"
"Definitely Wokka's best build to date."

And so, the Runner Up for Pit Bull Guitars January 2015 Guitar of the Month goes to:

VH2580 (Tony) and his STA-1 in Colourtone Green.
So close to taking out two GOTM comps in a row.

And the winner is...

Yes, we have another tie. The judges couldn't split Tim's awesome Hellboy JB-4 and Wokka's stunning TLA-1.

Congratulations Tim and Wokka!

WeirdBits
05-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Congrats Tim and Wokka, two awesome builds that I'd be very happy to have on my wall. Well done to all the entrants, a top month once again, and thanks to the judges.

wokkaboy
05-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Gee what a surprise, I thought Tim's hellboy had it in the bag, I'm stoked with a tied win.
Congrats Tim on the tied win and Tony for runner up.
Big well done to the judges turning around the results quicky. I'll be happy to judge February GOTM with Gav T's awesome ash LP!

Scott J.
05-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Congrats to all the entries in this month's GOTM ... you've all raised the bar yet it yet again with every entry a real "pearler"

... but especially well done to Tim, Wokks and Tony ... talk about a close run thing ... bloody beauties each of them! (sure glad I didn't have to call it this month)

andrewdosborne
05-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Wokkaboy, Tim and Tony - congratulations all exceptional builds! It's getting very hard for the judges with all the entrants builds compounding in quality each month. Looking forward to another sensational month.

jarrod
06-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Wokks , Tim and Tony . What can I say but stunning axes and all the other entrants it must have been close.

vh2580
06-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Congrats Wokka and Tim , both Stunners, and the quality of the other builds was impressive.

wokkaboy
06-01-2015, 08:17 AM
thanks for all the nice comments.
What I'd like to know Ads is who made the comment on my build that they took off a point for the unbelievable story of escaping your place with the tele and whether they actually did subtract a point !

Fretworn
06-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Congratulations guys.

adam
06-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I think that was Gav, Wokka. No, he didn't really subtract a point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adam
06-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Again there was only a couple of point between first and fifth. One of the closest comps yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kanelangmaid
06-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Sweet guitars all round. Congrats to all participants and those that scored a place on the winners podium. I raise my hat to those that donate their time and effort to help us all and even more to those that help out in gifting their guitars.

Agree with the comments that the quality of builds is increasing to very high standards. Makes it harder for us amateurs to score a place. Look out February GOTM, I have a feeling there might be a few LP's in the running ;)

gavinturner
06-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Big congrats to the podium winners - Tim, Wokka and Tony - and to all the other entries this month congrats to you too. It was a very tough call all-round IMO and everyone did a sterling job on their particular model. Well done all!

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Congrats guys, another beauty month of entrants and a well deserved shared 1st place!

wokkaboy
06-01-2015, 12:08 PM
I think that was Gav, Wokka. No, he didn't really subtract a point.

Cheers Ads, I didn't think they would have really subtracted a point. I guessed it would have been Gavmeister or DB that made that comment

maxaxe
06-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Very well done boys . . . the standard is so high now it's getting almost intimidating.

stan
06-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Wokka, Tim, Tony, so so good!
Great work guys

Brendan
06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I guess with two guest judges, I get a month off hey Ads! Standard is getting high enough that little things are meaning the difference between 1 & 5.

robin
06-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Well done all entrants but a special WD to Warren, Tim and Tony. I can certainly believe that only a few points separated 1st to last.

Well done all
rob

ARusso
06-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Congratulations Wokka, Tim & Tony! Can't wait for next month's entries, ridiculously good quality from everyone

jediGaz
06-08-2015, 11:12 AM
That is awesome Wayne!!
love the message on the neck plate and that is an amazing colour.

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 11:22 AM
no worries Gaz, Wayne did do a good job and Karlee is still playing the axe and loves it to bits !