PDA

View Full Version : Floyd rose trem for TOM bridge retrofit

vh2580
05-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Saw this for those interested in upgrading
http://www.guitarworld.com/floyd-rose-releases-frx-surface-mounting-tremolo-system

jarrod
05-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Interesting and as usual from Floyd it's a beautiful piece of engineering but man he his still boring in video's lol...

Scott J.
06-12-2014, 04:12 AM
No doubt it's an example of some lovely machining (as all F Roses are) but me can't helps but thinking it's also seriously over-engineered for it's purpose (again, as nearly all F Roses are)

... it's a substantial chunk of metal he's created there (from the pics it looks like its gotta have way more mass than even something like a Bigsby B5) ... which I'd guess would work well to even-out the balance of a head-heavy SG, but on an "already weighty" LP?

... and you still have add (2) screw holes to the guitar body (sorry, to the head - for the locking nut) to mount it :eek:

ultpanzi
06-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Thats very interesting and its becoming quite kahler-esque in the sense that the springs are supporting it from the front. It'd be interesting to see how players feel about the difference in string pull and maybe resetting neck angle (and if not, that things gotta stick out quite a bit.)

dingobass
07-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Nice bit of engineering but it is still a FR....

Fretworn
08-12-2014, 09:04 AM
If I was that determined to put a whammy on a TOM guitar, I think I'd just get a Stetsbar.

metalhead
10-12-2014, 06:54 PM
... Well I think it's cool! (though admittedly I can't imagine I'm likely to buy one) Thanks for posting. I actually really like playing Floyds, though I normally prefer them blocked (dive only), saves a lot of hassle, and helps tuning stability when palm muting. It is true that they can be a hassle though, but again, less of a hassle if blocked. Admittedly though, only one of my current guitars has a Floyd, though I am building another.

DrNomis_44
10-04-2018, 02:29 PM
I just ordered a chrome Floyd Rose FRX trem from Stewmac this morning for my LP Studio guitar, I've always been having a real hard time getting it to stay in tune, tried all the usual fixes, and none worked, so I decided to try a different tactic and try a new Floyd Rose FRX trem, personally, I really don't mind drilling two holes in the headstock, just behind the nut, the LP studio got a bit dinged-up in the shop I bought it from in an accident when it fell off the wall, so de-valuing the guitar is a moot-point anyway, I've had a good look at the video that shows Mr Floyd Rose himself, installing the FRX trem on an SG, and the only mod you need to do is to drill two holes in the headstock, behind the nut, in order to install the locking mechanism for the strings, and that's it, no routing of the body of the guitar is necessary, and it is easily reversible too.

When my Floyd Rose FRX trem kit arrives in the post, I'll start a thread about it and I'll do a write-up of the installation process, I've got a few other bits and pieces coming with it in the post too.

DrNomis_44
12-04-2018, 07:09 AM
For those of you interested in ordering a Floyd Rose FRX trem for a guitar kit that uses a Tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece, you can order them online from Stewmac.com:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Floyd_Rose_FRX_Surface-mount_Tremolo_System.html