PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

JoeSmith
05-12-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm Joe, and have decided to build up another guitar. The first guitar I built up was a telescaster. While this guitar was not a kit guitar I did buy all the parts for it and put her together. The Body was made out of Mahogany with double binding by guitar builder down in Melbourne. the neck is a Allparts Vintage radius neck and the pick ups are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound for Tele, and gives it a warm sound and the wiring is out of a USA made tele.

My next Guitar will be a bass. Being a lot older and poorer I was looking at Kits., and come accross this jem of a site, I was thinking of the JBA-4M As I have a picture of a red F Jazz style bass with a maple neck in my mind that wont go away. If it turns out ok, I will be puting a set of Quarter Pound for Jazz Bass in her.

If I get this kit, can I order the head shaping service at the same time? As I want the original "F" shape. I look forward to getting up and running and being part of the gang. You have so many kits its hard to choose from. Anyway time to go back to looking at all the GOTM's some real nice stuff there. As big Kev used to say "I'm excited".

Here is a pic of my tele, Cheers Joe

Fretworn
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Welcome Joe.

stan
05-12-2014, 02:38 PM
welcome Joe, we are all excited mate, that's why we are here. Enjoy!

gavinturner
05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Welcome Joe. Love your Tele dude - great job! Looking forward to reading about your new build!

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey Joe and welcome to your brand new addiction.

Brendan
05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Joe - drop DingoBass a line at dingobass (at) pitbullguitars dot com (you'll need to cleanup the address - done that way to reduce the number of spam bots that will get the address). He should be able to sort out the headstock for you. That said - it's one of the easier jobs in building a guitar, so one I'd encourage people to do themselves and get something unique and personal.

BTW - Jazz basses come out sweet - I've build a JB4-M (before the ash bodies started to come through) and I love it. Might also be worthwhile looking at the Entwistle and Tonerider pickups that Pitbull sell - for a cheaper price they are really nice sounding - definately big bang for buck.

wokkaboy
06-12-2014, 08:16 AM
welcome Joe, nice looking tele. Look forward to seeing the Jazz bass progress. I'd have a crack at shaping the headstock yourself, buy a coping saw and some sandpaper, it's not that hard.
Best of luck and start a build diary

JoeSmith
06-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the compliments on the tele it was a long time in the making.
I will email Dingobass and arrange to have it shaped when I place my order on monday. Those Entwistle pickups look interesting, I will look into them, and they area good price to, I nearly put the Tonerider's in the tele but fell in love with the look and sound of the Quarter Pounders. has anyone any sound bites for the Entwistle's? Cant wait to start and will start a log as soon as I get it.
Cheers Joe

Brendan
06-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I haven't heard the Entwistles for bass - what I've heard for guitars is that they are heavier - not the most suited to a Nashville sound (from the 'buckers that I've heard), but good for rock / metal. I've got some Entwistles to go into a LP that I'm building (albeit slowly in between other builds).

I've put a tonerider in my P Bass and if I was to build another P Bass, I wouldn't put anything else in. I'm planning a scratch build now and tossing up between Toneriders and Entwistles. Only reason I haven't used them to date is that they weren't available from Pitbull the time I built my Jazz bass.

JoeSmith
09-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Well I just purchased the new addition to the smiths guitar range, the JBA-4m. It took a bit of time as I could not make up my mind between the maple or rosewood neck. All my guitars have rosewood boards, The Tele, The Strat (Robert Cray signature, my baby) and a LP parts guitar still in parts that I my son was building but lost interest in.

So the fun begins, and have a long wait now watching for the postman. I will start a build log, start learning some bass runs so I will be able to play somthing for the demo video. I took the plunge and will do the head shaping my self. I got some nice "F" shapes of the net. Now the next decision will be the colour????? I had settled on red but seen a nice Orange Jazz Bass that looks good, but candy apple red is still high on the list.

Cheers Joe

wokkaboy
09-12-2014, 08:21 AM
well done Joe, good kit the ash Jazz bass with maple fingerboard.
Have a look at the Dingotone colours available, I've tried about 8 of them and they are excellent.
Well done doing the headstock shaping yourself, the only way to learn is to do it yourself.
Where are you based, in Melbourne ? You should have the kit by early next week

JoeSmith
09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
No I'm in sydney. Shaping it sould be ok, I have a scroll saw and jig saw, but might get some cheap wood for a pratice run first.

Cheers Joe

wokkaboy
09-12-2014, 09:58 AM
sounds good Joe, scroll saws are great for cutting curves. Have a practice on similar width scrap wood and start cutting at least 2mm from the line you end up drawing for the shape.

Fretworn
10-12-2014, 08:44 AM
No I'm in sydney.

North, South East or West, Joe?

JoeSmith
10-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Out in Ingleburn

Brendan
10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Joe - love my JB-4M (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2174). They turn out pretty cool and are a great build. I'm with you though on colour choice - I've got two guitars here that I am still trying to work out which colour. Seems as soon as I settle on one, I decide to change my mind.

JoeSmith
10-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Your bass turned out unreal Brendan I wasn't sure about the maple neck but seeing yours glad i went that way. I have been looking at Jazz bass style guitars on google images and I go wow I like that color then see another and think hmmm I like that to lol. If this bass turns out ok, next on my list will be a PBH-4 and maybe do it lake placid blue with a white pearl scratch plate.

Brendan
11-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Sounds sweet Joe. The pickguard from mine was aftermarket and you do need to be careful with eBay supplied ones as they don't always fit like the stock ones, but I liked the effect and made it work :). That said - tempted to do another one in ash.

JoeSmith
15-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Well it arrived today and man, its pretty good quality for the price, overall I very impressed, and the neck looks very good, and the body is a bit on the heavy side which I like, as being a kit I thought it would be lighter side. Im still torn between the rosewood, but the grain and finger board on the maple is very good. Thank you team pit bull 10 out of 10 for this kit. Well now its over to the build section to get started and ask the 101 questions I will have.

wokkaboy
16-12-2014, 07:32 AM
good work Joe glad you are happy with the kit. Start a build diary and post some pics of the mock build, then you can get started sanding !

Brendan
17-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Great to see you're happy with the kit so far! Best of luck.