PDA

View Full Version : Frets level or bowed neck

DODGE
23-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Hi Guys
Got my Tele Ash kit on Friday, very please with the bod and neck fit like a glove.
I have a real dumb question,
When I put a straight edge on the fret board and hold it tight down on the first fret at the nut end, I have a very small gap right down at the heel end about 1mm. My dumb question is, how do I know if the frets are level or my neck has a slight bow. I haven't fit the neck to body yet or stringed her up so cant say what the action will be like.
I guess i'm asking how does one know to start levelling frets or adjusting the truss rod, I 've heard nasty stories about broken truss rod so don't want to start touching that.
Anyway, is it best to get the neck on and strings then take a look at it and see what the action is like?
I was just wondering how you know if frets are level or not.
Cheers
Dodge in Oz:cool:

ponch
23-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Hey man, hold the neck up to your eye, and site the length of the board down the sides, helps to close one eye. Think of aiming down the barrel of a gun. You should be able to see if there is a curve in the neck this way. Check both sides and let us know what you come up with.

ultpanzi
23-11-2014, 03:15 PM
If you want a more precise method (if you dont trust your judgement), Crimson guitars sells a notched straightedge that sits over the frets and you can see if the neck is perfectly flat. If you want to save money, you can buy a cheap $2 long metal ruler and use a dremel to cut away a bit over each fret.

Gavin1393
23-11-2014, 06:36 PM
...and wood breathes when unfinished! Hence a bit of bow may need a subtle adjustment at the truss rod. the straight edge should confirm this (best if it is notched for the frets. Then if not level, make your adjustment gently and carefully. "Righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" as Dan Erlewine says.....

Then check out the frets for being level.