PDA

View Full Version : Internet Tone Gurus

Patto
22-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Hey Guys,

Like most of you, I imagine, I spend heaps of times looking on guitar forums all over the net, researching all sorts of guitar nonsense. Everywhere you go there are tone-gurus telling you that the only good humbuckers are zen-tone Himalayas, hand wound by the Dalai Lama on the highest peak in Tibet and costing approximately three times as much as the average mortgage. It seems there is a fair bit of hype and my-dad's-tougher-than-your-dad type stuff going on there, so I'm just curious about what your experiences have been. Anyone put any of this tone-wisdom to the test? whether it relates to pickups, wiring styles (e.g. vintage vs modern), tonewood, hardware etc. etc.

In my own (limited) experience I would say internet tone advice is worth taking with a pinch of salt. What do you guys think?

(also if Zen-tone Himalaya is actually exist I'm sorry for picking on you, but it serves you right for naming your product so obnoxiously)

Gavin1393
23-11-2014, 06:59 AM
A search of our forums will reveal many such discussions.

Nut of bone, graphite, brass or plastic.
Sandpaper or Plane
Bodies of Basswood, Mahogany, Ash, Alder and others...
Maple or mahogany necks?
Rosewood, maple, ebony fretboards....
Types of bridges from tremolos, hard tails and trapezes.
Finishes of various kinds from synthetic to natural.

Looking for definitive answers? It seems that it all down to your ears, personal skill and personal preference?