PDA

View Full Version : New "Fender Coronado" style kit

adam
19-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi folks,

After a customer inquiry, I ordered a small number of these "Fender Coronado" style kits.

Here's what we received:

And here's a Fender Coronado:

So, the square back is missing and the horns need to be shallower...

They got the pickups right.

What do you guys think? What should we call this beastie? It's not really a "Coronado" inspired kit, but it is kinda cool. I wouldn't mind one in my collection. DB, you up to building one of these for me?

Let me know what you think.

WeirdBits
19-11-2014, 06:36 PM
It's a 335onado GT!

gavinturner
19-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey Adam,

It's certainly an interesting variation on the stock 335 kit. Kinda reminds me of the Dave Grohl Trini Alvarez DG-335, but without the diamond shaped f-holes. Personally I would have loved to see the swept back horns, but this is certainly a step in the right direction. Will these retail for around $295 like the other trapeze-based 335?

cheers,
Gav.

adam
19-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Gav, I only got 5 in and I'm not really happy with the final product. All they've done is stick a Fender style neck (headstock) on an ES-1G body (I checked and they are an exact match).

It's still a pretty cool looking kit and I honestly wouldn't mind one myself, but I don't think we should add it to the catalogue.

I might just put those 5 kits aside and make them available to the forum regulars at a reduced price ($250).

If anyone is keen to give one a crack, email me or reply to this thread and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

If I don't get any takers here, I'll put it up on the store as a "Fender Coronado inspired" kit and see how it goes. the retail price will be the same as the ES-1G ($285).

WeirdBits
19-11-2014, 07:41 PM
A few things are changed like the pickups, switch position, square block inlays, F-style nut and headstock.. which make it interesting. But, it's more the 335 traits that appeal to me and as such I'd always choose an ES-1G(T) instead. I think it will definitely need its own distinct body shape, more inline with a Coronado, for it to have a market.

Brendan
19-11-2014, 09:24 PM
DB, you up to building one of these for me?

Let me know what you think.

Hasn't DB still got Gav's Conch Girl HB4 to finish first? I haven't seen him build an Iceman or Warlock either and surely, given they have been part of the stock kits should have priority for DB to build than one of these :).

AJ
20-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Gav, I only got 5 in and I'm not really happy with the final product. All they've done is stick a Fender style neck (headstock) on an ES-1G body (I checked and they are an exact match).

It's still a pretty cool looking kit and I honestly wouldn't mind one myself, but I don't think we should add it to the catalogue.

I might just put those 5 kits aside and make them available to the forum regulars at a reduced price ($250).

If anyone is keen to give one a crack, email me or reply to this thread and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

If I don't get any takers here, I'll put it up on the store as a "Fender Coronado inspired" kit and see how it goes. the retail price will be the same as the ES-1G ($285).

PM'd u Adam.

wokkaboy
20-11-2014, 08:48 AM
not a bad looking kit Ads, but as you say it's a 335 with a Fender neck basically with a couple of other small mods.
It's probably the angle of the photo but the bottom F hole looks smaller than the top one. The bottom F hole is where all the electronics will fit into, maybe Ads if you can please check if a pot will fit. The switch is further from the F-hole so this will be harder to install.

adam
20-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah it's just the angle of the shot. Same size f holes as the ES-1G.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
20-11-2014, 03:52 PM
ah ok cheers Ads thought that would be the case

ihasmario
22-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Hey Adam,

I'm a little busy right now, but I'd be happy to take one of these bad boys. Not quite a starcaster, but close enough to be a "straight"caster maybe!

Are the headstocks all shaped or are there some blank ones?

Is the body fully hollow or can it be expanded to fit some oversized humbuckers?

Cheers!

adam
22-11-2014, 03:25 PM
The head stocks are shaped and it's semi hollow like the ES-1G so yes you can rout for buckers.

adam
22-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm going to put them up on the site now at retail $285, but the offer still stands for Forum regulars ($250). If you want one I'll send you a manual invoice.

Gavin1393
23-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Hasn't DB still got Gav's Conch Girl HB4 to finish first? I haven't seen him build an Iceman or Warlock either and surely, given they have been part of the stock kits should have priority for DB to build than one of these :).

Second the motion! :)

Does that mean it's carried?