PDA

View Full Version : GR-1SF nut

Patto
19-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Guys,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning a Gretsch build (and probably going way overboard with my plans) just curious about the nut on the Gretsch kits. Does anyone know if a standard size Gibby nut will fit?

Cheers,
Patto

wokkaboy
19-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Hey Patto, I haven't seen too many of these kits built and I haven't built one so can't comment.
Looking at the photo's it does look like a standard Gibbo style nut. Since its something that you don't need to worry about till late in the build I'd order the GR-1SF kit and wait till you receive the kit and remove the plastic nut and order a bone nut or a bone blank for it

WeirdBits
19-11-2014, 09:30 AM
As Wokka says, it's a Gibbo style but probably closer to some of the Epi replacements in size. I just did some (very) quick measurements on mine, so this should give you a rough idea. The kit has a 12" radius fretboard with a G-style flat bottom nut.
Width: 42mm
E-e: 34mm
Thickness: 6.35mm (approx. max)
Height: 8.5mm (approx. max)

Rough numbers only, use at your own risk. There's always some variation with the kits (like the nut's seat depth affecting nut height), so as Wokks suggests, it's probably best to wait to get the exact figures for your particular kit and then go from there.

Patto
19-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Cheers fellas. My next question was gonna be about fretboard radius, so you've beaten me to the punch on that one.

wokkaboy
19-11-2014, 10:36 AM
no worries Patto, as this shipment just arrived I'd be placing an order for the kit as they may sell out fairly quickly and next shipment will be January 2015 at the earliest

Patto
19-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Righto, better nip down the florists to get the missus in a good mood. All jokes aside, I've been considering putting in a special order for one with a maple top. Partly because flamed/quilted maple on an archtop= Dayum!! but also partly for tonal reasons. I know real gretches are either all maple or basswood with maple top, I don't know if I necessarily buy into the all the internet tonewood-hype, but, still, considering some of the upgrades I'm planning this build could get pricey, so I would like to make sure I've got a nice bit of wood to stick all the shiny bits to. Do you guys have any thoughts on maple vs basswood and all of that stuff?

wokkaboy
19-11-2014, 12:08 PM
sounds good Patto.
I think the difference in the sound between a basswood top and a maple top would be so minimal you would have to have the worlds best sound system to pick any difference if any ! To me the flame maple top just looks much nicer. You may be lucky some of the basswood grain can be subtle but still look good stained.

Patto
19-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Cheers Wokka, I do feel a bit sceptical when people say 'Oh yes, well maple has a slight zing in the top register that you wont get with bla bla bla and you'll here that tone on (insert recording by famous artist here)' I mean, wood comes from trees, no two trees are exactly the same, right? I do see that a harder species of wood might have more top end (for example) but I guess I'm curious about what the differences might be in the real world. I see from the galleries you've made a lot of guitars, I take it you don't hear much difference between otherwise identical guitars made from different woods?

wokkaboy
19-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Hey Patto,
the gallery only has a fraction of my builds.
Yes I agree playing two identical guitars made of different timbers (say ash and basswood) my ear can't pick any difference in sound. If you upgrade hardware, have the guitar well setup you will get an improved sound which is noticeable.