PDA

View Full Version : microtonal abomination

pablopepper
13-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Found these guitars while looking for something else and had to check them out. I understand microtones are used in some forms of music, Turkish for example, but trying to shoehorn them into western styles, to me, doesn't make sense.

http://youtu.be/O2eukIoSsKM
This, probably very expensive, guitar excels at producing wrong sounding chords. Whatever the theory behind it, my ears disagree.

pablopepper
13-11-2014, 07:28 AM
http://youtu.be/MU27AhOuwSE
If you can make it though this song without feeling seasick, you've done better than me.

Please feel free to disagree with me and explain why this makes any sense. I would really love to know.

wokkaboy
13-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Hey Pablo I have to agree that song does make you feel seasick, sounds almost out of tune at times and if someone keeps pushing the whammy bar up and down. Parts of it sound really cool but think I'll stick to the traditional fretboard !

DanMade
13-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Interesting. I think those pure 7th chords he was playing sounded great.
That's about it though, when he put into the context of a peice of music it sounded terrible. Maybe It was because the peice was trying to showcase the harmonic notes and totally overdid it. If you used the harmonics subtly and tasfully it might sound better.

I won't be trying to build one of these anytime soon, it takes enough work as it is doing the frets on a guitar, let alone twice as many.

gavinturner
13-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Yes @Pabs I just threw up in my mouth a little bit ;). Not my thing at all.

cheers,
Gav.

vh2580
13-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Brought back memories of the sound of the couple of seconds just before your tapedeck shreds your cassette

wokkaboy
13-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Brought back memories of the sound of the couple of seconds just before your tapedeck shreds your cassette

haha classic Tony, that is a beautiful description. I remember that sound and feeling of 'oh not not another cassette shredding"

Did you try and keep the longest side of the cassette tape and wind it on using a bic pen ?

Scott J.
06-12-2014, 05:33 AM
I'm with Gav, ... I ran looking for a bucket!

dingobass
06-12-2014, 07:52 AM
What a w#nk....

Almost as bad as a Guitar i once saw that had wibbly wobbly frets. Theory was perfect intonation.. Pfffffft!
As a Luthier if it was ever bought to me for a fret dress i would laugh and send the owner packing...

Will try and locate a pic.

ihasmario
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I listen to a bit of music with microtonal stuff. I like it when it is done as a lead line, kind of like hitting blue notes in jazz, or using the extra notes in a bebop scale.

But I don't agree with the chord voicing in the second video. He used too many dissonant chords in a row. It would have been way better if he used standard chords and used the microtones in a lead setup, or had spaced them with nicer sounding chords. It just sounded like he was jamming a whammy or something because of how he chose to play.

The first video they sounded nice, but after a while it was just stacking up a wall of sound rather than creating interesting sounds, because its from the harmonic series, so I don't think it is too desirable in that case. When you venture out of a standard triad, you're looking for interesting sounds that grab you in a particular way. I think those chords as basically open harmonic series do the opposite.

IMHO.

I wouldn't play it. But I like it. I think his licks were pretty nice.