PDA

View Full Version : body mods on an ST1 for a noob

ScoopD
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi all,
I’m about to start my maiden build with an ST1 kit, which has arrived and been unpacked and checked. I’m wondering if anyone has looked at increasing the forearm shaping in a personal mod?

At the moment the forearm shaping starts about 85 mm from the bridge

I was thinking of increasing that so that it started at about the 40 mm mark and also increasing the depth of the cut slightly. Currently the shaping is short and steep. My mod would make the angle shallower by going over a longer distance but also allow me to go to a thinner profile at the edge

I don’t want to interfere with the pick guard (too much hassle for a noob) and don’t want to compromise the integrity of the body either. I’m basically thinking of doing this for three reasons –
1) to create more of a feature of that shaping & make the guitar more uniquely mine
2) comfort while playing and
3) reduce the weight of the body (not really sure this will be noticeable)

I am also looking at the Tummy shaping and thinking of increasing that

Nobody would see that without looking, so it is less about the look and more about comfort.

I saw what Robin did to a tele in this forum http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2357 and was inspired.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding this? Would it be a significant undertaking on my first project? Would it alter the setup of the guitar? Would it weaken the guitar significantly? Anything else?

I am finishing it with Dingotone natural as I always love to see wood grain and a beautiful light coloured Ash against the dark of the rosewood fret board should be beautiful.

dingobass
08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Go for it!

The mods you have in mind wont weaken the body at all :)

ScoopD
08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks DB. I'm thinking that a file/rasp as a start to remove the bulk and then much sandage. Any thoughts on that? Sanding alone would take far too long I would think - I don't have a belt sander, but even with an orbital and large grit I would be there for ages.

dingobass
08-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Yeah mate, attack it with a rasp first then hook in with the rough sandpaper.

If you have one, a small hand plane is also very handy.

bargeloobs
09-11-2014, 02:42 AM
Thanks DB. I'm thinking that a file/rasp as a start to remove the bulk and then much sandage. Any thoughts on that? Sanding alone would take far too long I would think - I don't have a belt sander, but even with an orbital and large grit I would be there for ages.

Yep definitely take unwanted meat off with the rasp.
An invaluable bit of kit in my arsenal is a rolled up 80 grit shearing disc emery, absolutely perfect for the job. You can get em' at any rural store (about $7), better yet if you know a shearer they'll have em' strewn all over their shed floor.
I even used it to round off the horns and everything because you can get plenty of meat off without fear of gouging out too much unlike the rasp.

dingobass
09-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice tip Bargie :)

I am so stealing that idea!

bargeloobs
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Nice tip Bargie :)

I am so stealing that idea!

Unbelievably handy!! For the record I've never used a brand new 80 grit one, rolled it up and started gnawing wood off.
Mine came off my grinder after sharpening a few hundred cutters so you'll probably find a new one will be extremely bright. Also after they've been used on a grinder (because of the latex backing) they naturally want to curl up, so if you're using a fresh paper you'll have to roll some tape at each end just to keep it tight and prevent it uncurling.
If you get hold of the "Super Grind" ones like in the pic, they're a "Hermes" brand emery made in Germany and the shit will literally last you a lifetime, it's indestructible
They do a 40 grit too (for sharpening combs) and whilst I haven't used one on a guitar I would imagine it would be quite similar to using a rasp, I'll have to try one in the near future and post results.

maxaxe
09-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Go for it dude!
Hoeing into the body is great fun & can be really rewarding.
Lightening up heavy Strats makes a lot of sense to me and I concur with all your reasons for doing so.
Should be an excellent first build IMO.

ultpanzi
10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
If youre worried about taking off too much with a rasp, give the shinto rasp file a shot. Its made up of hacksaw blades riveted together and in all its a legendary tool that removes wood quickly but still gives you full control.

AJ
10-11-2014, 07:39 PM
good tip there ultpanzi..