PDA

View Full Version : New colours

adam
07-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Dingobass has been busy in his mad professor lab and he's come up with two new colours...

Bondi Blue

and

Tarkine Green

I know he's put a lot of work into developing these colours, so I hope you all embrace them and give them a go... we'd love to see how they look on some finished guitars.

vh2580
07-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Love it looks like a Bondi Blue and possibly B......gGreen ( I think that one will get me life)

Nickosaurus
07-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Digging the new colours mate.

Keen to see a nice purple!

dingobass
07-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey Saurus :)

I am currently testing a few Purples ATM.

Stay tuned for progress updates on Atherton Amethyst.......

Gavin1393
07-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey Saurus :)
Atherton Amethyst.......

Sounds like a bruised English cricketer.....?

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm testing out the Tarkine green on an ash ST body so I'll post some pics after the next coat. When I get time I'll try the bondi blue and Atherton Amethyst.
DB has been a busy mad professor haha
Might try the purple on a LP Paulownia kit

ponch
08-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Bondi blue looks unreal mate. I would love to use it for the pine Tele I'm hacking up atm, but as it's a test piece I want to spend as little as possible on it. I'll probably end up stuffing it up haha. Question is, I'm planning the burnt finish like the strat I'm doing, Bondi blue, but as a top coat, can I use the wipe on poly varnish over dingotone or will they hate each other. I've just got tonnes of it left from the prs build.

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
wipe on poly should be fine Andrew over DT. I've used tru oil over DT many times and had no issues. I'll just go pour you another pint in the naughty room mate ! haha

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 09:55 AM
as a taste this is what an early version (early March) of Bondi blue looked after 2nd deep coat. This was my SG that ended up grey/black. The FV is Wayne's he's since put two solid blue coats on.
With any luck the new Bondi Blue should look even better

ponch
08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Not gonna lie, that colour is sensational. Thanks for your hard work db! Ordering now.

ponch
08-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Another question haha. Just read about pine being hard to stain evenly and they recommend a sealer first before the dye or stain. How would dt go over a fw sanding sealer, or do you recommend ditching the sealer and doing some finer sanding to 400 to inhibit the stain uptake. I'm in the naughty room for life I think.

Nickosaurus
08-11-2014, 12:06 PM
That Bondi Blue seriously reminds me of PRS's Faded Denim finish (my favourite)

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Another question haha. Just read about pine being hard to stain evenly and they recommend a sealer first before the dye or stain. How would dt go over a fw sanding sealer, or do you recommend ditching the sealer and doing some finer sanding to 400 to inhibit the stain uptake. I'm in the naughty room for life I think.

Andrew, whenever I've stained pine I didn't worry about the sealer. If you sand to 320 I reckon you will be fine, so you gonna put bondi blue on ? not sure if it's available in the store yet, think DB wants some more testing done. I'll try pull my finger out and try the latest batch out

ponch
08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Nah its there, all ordered. Yeah the blue will go on the burnt pine then gloss poly. Ordered the maple tl neck also so I'll hopefully have this one rocking before Christmas.

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 02:31 PM
I got the second intensifying tarkine green coat on an ash ST body and it's deeper, some of the ash grain is tight and hard for the stain to penetrate, but see how 2 more coats go. Stay tuned, I'll probably start a build diary. Headstock will have blackheart sassafras veneer and I've tried it on it and looks choice. Well done DB !
My plan now is to sand back a paulownia LP and do the cap in purple so stay tuned should have pics up in about 90 mins.
Then I got a ST-1 to try bondi blue on so you can see how it looks Andrew, probably tomoz I'll get that sanded back ready

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 02:34 PM
here's some shaded pics to give you an idea, should get a third coat on tomoz, it's going to be 36 degrees in Perth tomoz. roll on summer. Andrew you will have bulk time 47 sleeps till xmas !

ponch
08-11-2014, 02:56 PM
That's nice! Can't wait to see the purple.

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Either can I, its all sanded ready for a coat, stand by

ponch
08-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Standing by!

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
ok, Im beta testing for DB tarkin green and now this is atherton amethyst (purple) on a paulownia LP, I got as much stain coat in as I could. Same as the tarkine green was quite pale on the first coat. Next coat will be much deeper. Anyway you can see hints of purple. Hopefully I'll get a 2nd coat tomoz.
The first pic is raw before I did any staining, in front is a pencil holder an offcut blackheart sassafras with tarkine green on, its pretty dark the grain but the green still came through

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 04:17 PM
here's a pencil holder with a coat of tarkine green, it's an offcut from the blackheart sassafras build. I've never seen grain like it. Looks even better in the flesh

dingobass
08-11-2014, 04:58 PM
These new colours have a great feature.
They dont stain binding :)

I will be gradually changing the entire range to this updated formula.

As well as the Amethyst I have two new opaque colours at testing stage.
A green that is reminicent of the classic sea foam and a potential butterscotch..

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 05:03 PM
sounds great DB the plans. I also got a brown to beta test which is yet to be named.
I noticed I could wipe off any stain on the binding with my finger while it hadn't dried and it came off easy

ponch
08-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Butterscotch!

WeirdBits
08-11-2014, 05:16 PM
... They dont stain binding :)

hehe and I just spent 4 hours scraping binding, you're a cruel man DB!

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 05:17 PM
wow 4 hours Weirdy thats intense !

wokkaboy
08-11-2014, 11:55 PM
got a coat of bondi blue on a ST1 body, , I think the second coat will really bounce, the new formula is a nice depth

wokkaboy
10-11-2014, 09:10 AM
got third coat of tarkine green on the body and managed to glue a camphor veneer to the headstock and cut the shape and got first coat on the headstock.
I've almost run out of tarkine green so may need a bit more DB, the 3rd coat was rationed as I wanted to save a bit for the headstock and a light 4th coat on the body

wokkaboy
10-11-2014, 09:22 AM
I found a spare ST body I didn't think I had, so got to beta test the 4th new colour, its a brown yet to be named. To me it looks like a deep red oxide colour. This is after first stain coat. Look forward to next coat !

wokkaboy
14-11-2014, 08:01 AM
got 2nd coat of the brown stain on beta test lastnight and really digging this colour, its got much deeper and it's like no other brown I've used. It's almost a clay brown that you see in the Adelaide wine region

wokkaboy
14-11-2014, 08:08 AM
I also got a second beta test bondi blue coat on the ST lastnight and I'm liking the look. This seems to have some difficult parts of basswood not taking the stain but I'm liking the look, almost like an old pair of jeans. We'll see how it looks after a couple more coats the colour should deepen

Fretworn
14-11-2014, 08:57 AM
It's looking like you have to be patient with Dingotone, and let the colour build over a number of coats. The colour isn't as immediate as with Wudtone or some of the other methods. Is that a fair statement?

wokkaboy
14-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Fretty it's hard to say, the grain is different for every guitar body and each one takes the stain differently, so it's hard to compare. If you have a look at the brown stain between coats 1 and 2 it is noticably darker after 2nd coat. I'm pretty sure wudtone would have given me a similar result with parts of the basswood not taking the stain

gavinturner
14-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Wokka, what did you sand down to? The green and blue kinda look like they aren't being absorbed. Maybe these colours need even more tooth than the others?

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
14-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Hey Gav,
I only sanded to about 240 grit. The tarkine green has darkened a bit since the weekend, DB thinks the oils are curing.
I think the bondi blue is on a basswood body that some parts won't take the stain, it's not a good example how it can look

gavinturner
14-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Hey, no prob Wokks. I think they look pretty good as they are.

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
14-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm liking the blue on the basswood more and more each time I look at it, and that brown is starting to look really nice, sort of clay/ochre.

In my limited experience with the Outback Sunset orange, the wood/grain definitely has an impact with how the colour develops. With the basswood body and english sycamore veneer the way the colour looked when it was applied is the way it stayed, it was instantaneous. But with the maple ply cap it always looked a little dull when first applied and took a day or two of drying before the colour developed and become more vibrant. I sanded to 400 for all the DT orange, and 600 for the clear neck kit.

wokkaboy
14-11-2014, 01:53 PM
yeah for sure Scott, I have enough bondi blue for about 2 more coats, think it will look darker after that but I'm liking the old jeans look.
I used a similar version of outback sunset and after first coat it really soaked in nicely.

wokkaboy
15-11-2014, 11:45 PM
got another light coat of tarkine green on the body and headstock. The colour has darkened over the week from the oils curing. Got a coat of coolangatta gold on the neck, pretty happy with progress

AJ
16-11-2014, 08:37 AM
looking great matey!

wokkaboy
16-11-2014, 08:41 AM
cheers AJ, pretty happy how the colour has naturally darkened. I still got a bit left for one more light coat, so we'll see how that goes. AJ, your avatar looks a bit like Maxaxe

ultpanzi
16-11-2014, 04:31 PM
When's the brown gonna hit the store? That stuff's great. Wondering how itll turn out over mahogany.

ScoopD
18-11-2014, 10:09 AM
As well as the Amethyst I have two new opaque colours at testing stage.
A green that is reminicent of the classic sea foam and a potential butterscotch..

Not that I am excited or anything, but BUTTERSCOTCH!!!!!!!! When when when when when?

wokkaboy
18-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Ultpanzi I would think the brown stain can't be too far off hitting the store, after 2 beta test coats I'm fairly confident its a winner. Should go great on mahogany.
ScoopD think the butterscotch is still in the testing phase

wokkaboy
23-11-2014, 08:48 AM
I visited DB Friday and he gave me a new colour to test - butterscotch. I tried an experiment and had a pale coat of the purple stain on a LP-1P, I lightly sanded it and went over it with butterscotch and over a neck, pretty happy with the results. Will hopefully get a 2nd coat on later today

ponch
23-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Oh my word.

andrewdosborne
23-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Nice, looking good

gavinturner
23-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Wow, the butterscotch is looking very nice ideed! :)

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
23-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Any news on the purple?

ScoopD
23-11-2014, 07:04 PM
That butterscotch ... mmmm. I wonder if I have any lollies in the cupboard?

Fretworn
24-11-2014, 08:48 AM
That butterscotch looks great, especially on the neck.

wokkaboy
24-11-2014, 08:54 AM
yeah the butterscotch looks good and I was hoping to get a second coat on but ran out of time. The neck had a prior coat of coolangatta gold but the butterscotch is deeper in colour.
@ Nick I need to get some more purple to try and I've run out of test bodies !

stan
24-11-2014, 12:20 PM
wow looks so good!
I have a guitar I want purple for, please release it !!

wokkaboy
01-12-2014, 11:44 AM
G'day, gave the LP-1P and ST neck a second coat of butterscotch, very happy with the intensity of the colour. Will see how it looks after a third coat and it could be ready for clearing. Have to decide what colour to do back/sides

ihasmario
15-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Any updates on the blue wokka?

Anyone done a burst with the dingotone yet?

wokkaboy
15-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey Ihasmario,
I took some sample stains for Ads to photograph last weekend, he hasn't updated the pics on the PBG website yet, but here's the bondi blue after 4 coats. I think this body is not how it will typically look, as quite a few areas the stain hasn't taken but I like the look.
I haven't done a full DT burst but here's a ST I did with outback sunset and air brushed a black and red burst line on. Sure a full DT burst would work fine

ihasmario
15-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Well that settles it, I think I'll be going for a blue burst on my next build. Which is what I wanted before but it turned out green

:D

vh2580
15-12-2014, 01:45 PM
That blue is really vibrant and the Outback Sunset is something I will have to have a crack at.

ultpanzi
15-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Any updates on the blue wokka?

Anyone done a burst with the dingotone yet?

I'm doing a black burst with the nullabor ochre, pics are up on the thread "Custom IB-7" I'm only half way through but I've got to say its going amazing. The only qualm I have with dingotone is that it dries very slowly compared to other finishes.

pablopepper
15-12-2014, 03:30 PM
That blue is perfect.

dingobass
17-12-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm doing a black burst with the nullabor ochre, pics are up on the thread "Custom IB-7" I'm only half way through but I've got to say its going amazing. The only qualm I have with dingotone is that it dries very slowly compared to other finishes.

Yes, the DT does dry slower than most..
I have your health and safety in mind so there are no toxic dryers added.

Also, i am hoping to instill a slow build/ finish ethos as this will always give you a far superior end product.
Typically my scratch builds take three months minimum before i call them done. Most of this time is spent on the finish!

Because i am anally retentive about my finishes i leave each coat to dry for at least a week :)

wokkaboy
18-12-2014, 09:05 AM
yeah I have to agree DB its good having multiple builds on the go. I'm trying to wait a week between DT clear coats on my scratch tele.
When are you expanding the naughty room DB its getting bloody crowded !
By the way DB you are only 17 posts off 2000 posts but you won't get the overlord tag. I'm only 25 posts off 4000 posts so will put up a post for suggestions for tags above 4000 posts - and not 'get a life' DB haha

wazkelly
11-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Hi DB, Just noticed in this thread you mentioned a new colour Butterscotch and wanting to confirm whether opaque or if it will act like a stain?
I have a Basswood body and bought Outback Sunset as I thought Coolangatta Gold might be too yellow but would prefer a more caramel butterscotch colour that could still reveal a bit of the timber grain. Looking at other completed Outback Sunset jobs makes me think it will be more Orange and much darker than what I was hoping to achieve.
Any suggestions or do I need to consider a special blend or buy some Coolangatta Gold and mix it up myself? Best guess for a blend would be 2:1 CG:OS ratio or maybe slightly less OS, possibly 3:1 perhaps?

dingobass
13-09-2015, 11:55 AM
The butterscotch can be both translucent and opaque.
Its just a matter of how many coats you apply.

Fuzzbeard
25-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Pretty keen to get my hands on some of this butterscotch, will it be available soon?

Gavin1393
26-12-2015, 01:26 AM
Pretty keen to get my hands on some of this butterscotch, will it be available soon?
If you deliver the scotch, I'm pretty sure DB will add the butter... :P

Bungee
26-12-2015, 03:53 AM

I am also super keen...

Fuzzbeard
26-12-2015, 06:56 AM
If you deliver the scotch, I'm pretty sure DB will add the butter... [emoji14]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151225/959002b57d7cdb7c118824923f5a85be.jpg
I would send some scotch but the stick insect drank it all...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
26-12-2015, 09:38 AM
haha good one Fuzzy, the stick insect has good taste in scotch. Bet he was legless after that !

OliSam
28-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys
wondering how i can use dingotone product to get a blue/black colour on our ST1??

wokkaboy
28-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi Olisam, welcome to the forum, order Dingotone bondi blue http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/dingotone/dingotone-body-finish-kit-bondi-blue/
and black stump black stain http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/dingotone/dingotone-body-finish-kit-black-stump/
The stains are ragged onto the body. Start sanding the ST-1 kit first !

OliSam
28-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks Wokkaboy
I saw the Black Stump....but to my eyes it looked dark green!....
is it truly black?

thanks dude

dingobass
28-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Hey Oli,

The Black Stump is Blacker than Black :)

Brendan
28-12-2015, 08:26 PM
There was some debate over the name - some were preferring none more black.