PDA

View Full Version : And the new Forum is live

adam
02-11-2014, 06:19 AM
A big thanks to Darren for getting us up and running on the new Forum.

Have a look around and check out some of the new features. There are a lot of features that we have not activated, to keep it fairly simple for the transition. However, we will start turning those on when people have got used to the new platform.

Cheers

Adam

adam
02-11-2014, 06:28 AM
It appears that our Signatures did not come across. This new platform offers so many more signature options, I think it's a good opportunity to design your new signature.

dingobass
02-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Noticed that the posting time is incorrect...

adam
02-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Looks like it's set to GMT. I'm sure Daz will be all over that.

dingobass
02-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Yep, great job Darren.. This new forum is the ants pants :)

Nickosaurus
02-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Looks wicked. Congratulations guys.

Darren
02-11-2014, 07:09 AM
There are obviously some time issues going on. Seems as part of the transfer from old forum to new, post times were not translated correctly so it seems posts created on the old forum are dated into the future by a number of hours here. So posts made in the past 12 hours will show up as newer than posts made for the next 12 hours - this will sort itself out in about 12 hours :)

As for new posting times etc. You will need to set your time zone in Settings (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions) and turn on DST correction. Seems counter intuitive, but it was the only way I managed to get the time correct (for me in for Perth, where there is no day light savings :confused: )

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
woo hoo only took about 5 goes and 15 mins to remember my password.... DOH

Lookin Good.

PK

vh2580
02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Looks good and is so quick.

dingobass
02-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Now to get my signature back up :)

dingobass
02-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Yay! That was easy.

ponch
02-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Looks epic! Anyone know of an app for android that supports this platform?

adam
02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi Andrew, had a quick look on Google and there is a plugin the we can purchase to provide iOS and Android compatibility, which I guess we can have a look at. Not sure about stand alone phone apps for members.

DanMade
02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Awesome, looks really good. And so much quicker too.

AJ
02-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Looks great, also the time is easily adjusted to suit your area, Like I'm GMT+10hrs for the east coast of Aust with the option of automatic daylight hrs change.
I just need to work out how to change my avitar....

ponch
02-11-2014, 09:45 AM
photo upload test.

ponch
02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Anyone know of a way to upload photos that's a bit simpler than the advanced settings and not imgur?

adam
02-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Hi Andrew, I'm pretty sure it's just through the Advanced option and "Manage Attachments". It seems pretty straightforward and you can post more than three images without using a hosting site.

Edit: I see that the images come up as thumbnails. So, you need to click on the one you want to view full size. I think this is a positive as you may not want every image to display full size and slow down the browsing experience. Some of the Guitar of the Month shots submitted can be massive and take ages to load on the page. This way you can choose which images to view and which to skip.

We'll see what the consensus is. If the majority want loaded, full size pics, I'm sure that can be arranged.

Brendan
02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
As with every new site you create a login for - I'd encourage everyone to have a look through the settings, especially the privacy settings. Just noted that all the privacy stuff defaults to everyone - i.e., you don't need a login to see anything. Easy to change - go to Settings - Profile Privacy

bargeloobs
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Testes testes 1,2....1,2. Lookin' good Adz, lovin' the added functionality, really neat:-)

stan
02-11-2014, 05:17 PM
new site looks awesome, well done team

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM
For those wrestling with how to change the Avitar, you need to change it in gravitars. you cannot change it in the forum settings.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1677 (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/community/mingleforum?action=viewtopic&t=77)

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Or go here. seems the other link is dead. http://imgur.com/

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Or maybe go here, http://en.gravatar.com/. this is the one I used. imgur is the one Adam uses

adam
02-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Are you sure about that Kells80aus? You should just go to "settings" at the top right menu and then "Edit Avatar" under "My Settings" in the left hand pane. Then just load a pic from your computer.

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi Adam, yes I changed my Avatar from the wedgetail guitar toa pic of Carlos Santana. well at least it is visible as Carlos to me. :)

PK

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Adam,
I think you will find that most do not have the level of authority to change their avatar on the Forum site.
To clarify what I mean, my edit Avatar page only has the option *No Avatar selected.
I was able to upload a pic that is used for my profile but this was not available for the avatar usage.

:)

PK

Darren
02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Fixered! You can now add an avatar forum Settings (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/profile.php?do=editavatar). ​If you do this, your Gravatar will no longer be used, Gravatars are only used if no Avatar has been configured in the forum.

Adam,
I think you will find that most do not have the level of authority to change their avatar on the Forum site.
To clarify what I mean, my edit Avatar page only has the option *No Avatar selected.
I was able to upload a pic that is used for my profile but this was not available for the avatar usage.

:)

PK

kells80aus
02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Hi Adam, whatever you did fixed it, so now there is an upload option for the Avatar.

PK

WeirdBits
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
New forum looks great Adam, much faster and smoother. Regarding images, given the option, I'd prefer having a larger size rather than the thumbnails. The smaller size may make the loading faster but as we're usually wanting to see the detail in the images, overall it makes it less convenient and more time consuming.

maxaxe
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Great Scott! It works - it works!
If old f***knuckle Maxaxe can use this very cool & quicker format, everyone should be able to. I'm elated.
Great job Adam & co.

adam
02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry Weirdy, I just don't agree. In the past, I've been on some threads waiting for images to load and I thought I was on dial-up again. I think with the thumbnail option you can select the images you want to see. But, I will listen to the consensus.

ponch
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Is there a way to set it on the users end as an option. I understand the point of the thumbnails, but I'm +1 for full res from the get go. Having the option would satisfy both parties.

pablopepper
03-11-2014, 05:50 AM
As a mainly mobile user, the thumbnail pics pose a little bit of a problem as they tend to want to align themselves off the screen when enlarged. While it is amusing trying to chase them down as they move around, it will be annoying. And yes, I've tried using the app and the mobile option in settings, don't like em.

wokkaboy
03-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I like the new platform Ads, just getting my head around it but seems pretty easy to use and the thumbnail pics make the browsing of a thread quicker, the thumbnail shows enough detail so you can click on it for a full size photo. The main thing is I've kept my post numbers and Overlord status ! I just noticed Pablo has entered his location. We should encourage forum members to do this so its clear who lives nearby !

adam
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I like the new platform Ads, just getting my head around it but seems pretty easy to use and the thumbnail pics make the browsing of a thread quicker, the thumbnail shows enough detail so you can click on it for a full size photo. The main thing is I've kept my post numbers and Overlord status ! I just noticed Pablo has entered his location. We should encourage forum members to do this so its clear who lives nearby !

Yeah I agree Wokka. The location feature is handy. If you want to use the forum on your phone or pad I can highly recommend d/loading the Forum Runner app. It's about $2.50 and well worth the small investment.

pablopepper
03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
My personal favourite new feature.

adam
03-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Pablo, Darren has set up a new Lite version which might resolve your mobile issues. Also the thumbnails are now 3 times bigger.

wokkaboy
03-11-2014, 11:32 AM
that is a cool feature whats new to save you reading all the last post date/times. Sure there are a few more new features that will be handy. Has anyone tried the chat/message feature ?

pablopepper
03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Cheers Adam. Chances are I'll still use it as is. The reason I didn't like using the app is it loses a lot of the fancy new features. I got used to the old forum, the niggles with this one are minor in comparison. Appreciate all the hard work that has obviously gone in. :)

WeirdBits
03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
I like the 3x thumbnail size, it lets you see you enough detail without always needing to click on the attachment.

adam
03-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Agreed Weirdy, the thumbnails are now big enough to see what's going on, with the option of clicking to magnify if you choose.

I like the 3x thumbnail size, it lets you see you enough detail without always needing to click on the attachment.

ponch
03-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Anyone else experiencing problems with pics loading that were uploaded via the forum runner app?

adam
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Anyone else experiencing problems with pics loading that were uploaded via the forum runner app?

What problem are you experiencing?

ponch
03-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Photos uploaded via the app are not visable via the app, but I can see them on the full site, but it seems the resolution has dropped dramatically.

ponch
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Here is a pic to test.

ponch
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah can't see it on the app, but writing this from the main site and everything is perfect. I love this new platform btw! Probably a problem with the app.

wokkaboy
04-11-2014, 07:59 AM
loving the new forum platform Ads, it is smooth, quick and loving the "what's new" feature. Bigger thumbnail size pics work really well and don't slow down the browsing.
In your new profile pic Ads did you just receive a Miss Fiona email ?

adam
04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
loving the new forum platform Ads, it is smooth, quick and loving the "what's new" feature. Bigger thumbnail size pics work really well and don't slow down the browsing. In your new profile pic Ads did you just receive a Miss Fiona email ?

Haha no it's actually my work ID photo. I'll change it when I get a better photo.

wokkaboy
04-11-2014, 08:25 AM
haha all good Ads, you look a little serious in the pic !

AJ
04-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Exclusive news flash..
News hot off the press is they now have the tele napper in custody. The courts have sentenced him to hard labour in a drummer's cell... :cool:

Mug shot modified to hide the true identity!

The culprit is said to have been caught with his hands in the case that holds the elusive telecaster!

Hey Adam, nothin wrong with your Avatar pickie..

wokkaboy
04-11-2014, 12:26 PM
nice one AJ, so my scratch tele build should be safe now ? how long is he in for ?

AJ
04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
nice one AJ, so my scratch tele build should be safe now ? how long is he in for ?
You know , back in the early settler days, when you'd get a free boat trip n permanent holiday for scoring a loaf of bread from "Buckin Huge Palace".... well I believe it was the son of the son of that judge and he's in for the count! (life)
hehehehehe..

gavinturner
12-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Really loving the new forum guys. It's got some great features for posting, and makes it much easier to see what's been posted since my last visit (ie 10 minutes ago ;) ).

cheers,
Gav.

adam
12-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Cheers Gav I'm really liking it too. There's a lot more features that we are yet to activate. Just got to get my head around them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ponch
12-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Tapatalk! Downloading now