PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Philadelphia, USA

michael
31-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Hi, I'm a bassist in Philadelphia, PA and I just ordered my first bass kit: the IC-6S. I've been interested in lutherie for a few years, and have modified a few basses (defretting, refinishing, etc.). This will be my first bass built from parts, and I'm anxious to get started on it.

Adam has told me that the IC-6S is due in stock in mid-November, so I'm hoping to get it delivered to me in the US by early December, and this will be my winter-time project here. Last winter, we were walloped with snow here, so this looks like a fun snow-day activity. My wife is, fortunately, very supportive, as my bass collection has grown from 1 (five-string 35" scale fretted) to 2 (five-string fretless), 3 (four-string fretted project bass), and, finally (?), to this kit.

I discovered Pit Bull via Google, as I was looking for a bass kit that wasn't a four-string J or P bass. I've always wanted to try playing a six-string bass for longer than 10 minutes in a store, and I love spalted maple. It was an easy decision to make the purchase.

I've read a lot of forum threads over the past week and I'll start my own Build Diary soon (cross-posting to Talk Bass, where I'm a semi-active member) soon, possibly before I even get the kit, so I can share my plans with everyone.

pablopepper
31-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Lovely to have you along Michael. We need a few more low enders to keep all these guitarists in check lol. Check out some build diaries and if you're not sure, ask. No such thing as a stupid question. :)

bargeloobs
31-10-2014, 09:09 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on October 31, 2014, 05:50
No such thing as a stupid question. :)

Is it okay to boil headphones??
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/l6763-Duke-Nukem.PNG

stan
31-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Welcome Michael, lots of friendly , knowledgeable folks here

dingobass
31-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Yay! Another low ender :)
There is waaaay too much treble here ;)

Hope you have a blast building and please dont hesitate to ask questions.

Oh, BTW Bargie... Congratulations, you have just asked the first dumb question :) :)
That will be six months in the naughty room for you :)

pablopepper
31-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I would suggest bleach.

wokkaboy
31-10-2014, 11:52 PM
welcome Michael, good to have another US builder on board and great looking kit the IB-6S (you called it IC-6S), I've built one, pic below and its my favourite bass. Think about a tone monster SB-3K pre-amp I fitted one and really fattens the sound even using stock pups.
Once your build diary is started ask lots of questions and do a mock build when it arrives to make sure everything fits ok taking note of how the neck fits in the pocket.
Best of luck and you have a few weeks to plan the build !
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/123p5-front.jpg

bargeloobs
01-11-2014, 06:21 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on October 31, 2014, 07:48
Oh, BTW Bargie... Congratulations, you have just asked the first dumb question :) :)
That will be six months in the naughty room for you :)

6 months in the naughty room where the beer and pizza flows like a mountain spring...orr well, might be time to put some Coopers Pale Ale on tap.

gavinturner
01-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Welcome Michael! Great to have another member from the US. It's a great kit you have chosen, and I'm eagerly awaiting your build diary. Have fun

cheers,
Gav.

michael
01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Yes, oops, it's the IB-6S (this one (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/bass-guitar-kits/pit-bull-guitars-ib-6s-electric-6-string-bass-guitar-kit-spalted-maple/)), and I've already looked at -- and bookmarked, just about every IB-6S and IB-5 build thread as well as a few other tutorials for staining spalted maple on YouTube.

While I'll finish the spec list as I get closer to building the bass, this is what I have in mind as far as customizing it:

- Fretless, I may replace the rosewood fretboard with ebony
- Piezo pickup with Hipshot bridge
- String-through body
- Bartolini piezo-magnetic bufer
- Either Bartolini or Aguilar pre-amp
- Volume (push/pull), Piezo volume, Magnetic pickup blend, Bass blend, Treble bend knobs
- Gotoh tuners
- Blueburst on spalted maple, undecided for back/sides/back of neck

Essentially, the only things I'll probably actually use from the kit is the wood, and maybe not even all of that! :)

I haven't picked out pickups yet because I don't know the dimensions of the stock pickups/pickup well. Can someone (wokkaboy?) with an IB-6S help me with that?

Gavin1393
01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Welcome on board Michael. It's a great build you have chosen. I'm yet to see a bad one finished, so expectations run high! ;)
Have a look at the Coolangatta Gold for the top (available from our Site). It's made by Dingobass who posted earlier on the thread. You won't go wrong.

Gavmeister

wokkaboy
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
hey Michael,
nice mods planned sound pretty serious !
stock pickups are about 113mm wide by 36/37mm high. They fit snug in the routes so don't order a pup any larger than this

michael
02-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks, wokkaboy. Looks like the standard Bartolini pickups won't fit perfectly in that shape, so I'll have to wait until I get the kit to assess what to order. Or, I have a Dremel to make the bass do my bidding... :)