PDA

View Full Version : Neck finishing

BenWA
28-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Hey, i finished my guitar a few months back and have been playing it since.

was curoius about what the best/durable finish for a neck would be. i pretty much just covered it with a couple of coats of wudtone (the neck specific stuff), and then the clear gloss that came with.

already theres a few patches where the yellow wudtone stain has started to wear off, i never fret levelled the neck so im gonna be taking it off to do that, and was thinking i could maybe refinish the neck while im at it

wokkaboy
28-10-2014, 07:19 AM
hey Ben, have you got any wudtone neck finish left ? Its probably at the end of its life anyway. Sounds like the axe has had a heap of hours played on it. Sounds like it needs more coats on the neck.
I tru oil my necks and they feel great and seems to be fairly durable. I have too many axes to clock up a heap of playing hours, so can't really comment how durable it is

dingobass
28-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Hmmmmm, now thats interesting...
Ben, can you send me a few closeup pics of the wear spots to dingobass@pitbullguitars.com please?
I am rather interested to see this as it really should not have done that as the Wudtone was well within its shelf life limit when supplied to you.

BenWA
28-10-2014, 11:39 PM
ive took some pics but i need to track down the cable for my camera before i can upload them. ive played this guitar a bit, but not too much. wear and tear doesnt bother me really, i was just wondering if i should have used oil/laquer over the wudtone on the neck to protect it and form a barrier again sweat/skin oils etc

wokkaboy
29-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Ben can you take some photos with your phone and upload them ? (if you can't find your camera USB cable)
Can you remember if and how many wudtone top coats you put on the neck ? You should have minimum 2 coats, I generally put 4 or 5 wudtone coats on for the reason of protecting the finish

dingobass
29-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The top coat should have been enough.. I think that the problem is that Wudtone sits on the surface and just wears off way to quickly.

Dingotone does penetrate into the surface fibres of the timber, even Rock Maple necks so the finish colour will stay put.
This is one of the main points of difference between the two products

BenWA
30-10-2014, 12:41 AM
yeah it certainly looks like that dingo.

wokka, i did like 2 coats of the colour, and then 2 coats of the top coat or whatever its called that came with the wudtone neck kits

heres a couple of phone pics i took but i warm you theyre crap-i used a little macro lens i got off ebay to try get in close but its a bit too close really. really need to buy an external card reader

ok so this is the one on the fretboard (9th fret), you can see the shiny bit, and just below that its worn off (instant relicing!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/benyc/IMG_2117_zps594f4ed8.jpg

and this is the other main patch, on the top of the neck, 12th fret
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/benyc/IMG_2119_zpsb52fdea3.jpg

wokkaboy
30-10-2014, 02:11 AM
I've never put wudtone or a stain on the fingerboard, so not sure how long its supposed to last with the constant punishment of bends etc. Looks like you may have to eventually rub it all back and stain it with a Dingotone neck kit. Looks like you didn't tape of the white strip on the side as its got stain on it. I personally like the stain off the white strip, it sets off the neck better

BenWA
30-10-2014, 06:48 AM
yeah i lashed it over the full neck, this was my first build so was just trying to follow the instructional videos as best as possible. i made this thread to ask if it was worth stripping it back. ill see how i go, once i get it playing better i might just leave it

wokkaboy
30-10-2014, 07:03 AM
yeah ok no worries Ben, you can probably put it off for a while stripping the neck back. You will probably do it after a couple more builds