PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Platform and Vision

adam
25-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Folks, I am genuinely very excited about this announcement.

After a lot of work behind the scenes, we will be moving to a new Forum platform within the next week (or so). We're just working out the best day/time to make the switch.

We've decided to go with vBulletin, which offers so much more functionality, it's actually quite daunting.

There will be so many more tools and options that it is going to take some adjustment, and I am expecting some of you to have a negative reaction (at first), I just ask that you stick with it and take your time to get to know the new system.

We will launch the new Forum on buildyourownguitar.com.au and will run this as a separate website. The vision is to make this Forum the premier Australian (world?) online resource for amateur and semi-pro guitar builders. You good folk are a big part of that vision.

There's no commercial interest in this side of the business (eg. no ads), although I am sure there will be a lot of links and references back to Pit Bull Guitars (we need to sell kits to pay for this).

PitBullGuitars.com will not change, other than the Community link on the home page will direct you to the new Forum on buildyourownguitar.com.au.

You will be able to use your PBG login on the new forum site. New users, however, will have to register on both (note: they only have to register on PBG if they want to buy something and don't want to checkout as "Guest").

If you want to have a look at a successful vBulletin Forum, checkout The Western Front; the Forum site for The Western Force. This forum is maintained by my good friend Darren, who is the IT genius managing our transition.

The address is: http://twf.com.au/forum.php

Anyhoo, I hope you all embrace the new forum and recognise the potential this has. We will make another announcement when we have a firm day and time for the changeover.

Nickosaurus
25-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Very excited. VB is a great format and a ton more functional than this one.

Will finally be able to skip to the ends of threads from the bloody thread page :P

THis is an investment Ads. Love your vision for the dual sites too.

AJ
25-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Should be good Adam, will it be faster loading than the present forum?

adam
25-10-2014, 11:30 PM
AJ, yes, as it will be hosted on a separate site and server, it will be much faster.

jarrod
26-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Great way forward ads, I love it.

ponch
26-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Nice one boss.

Brendan
26-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Lucky enough to get a sneak peak at the new site... Looking pretty special. If it all goes to plan, all the posts from the old forum will come across, along with everyone's current status (yes Wokks, looks like you'll keep the "Overlord of Music" tag). Also has a range of additional features that the current site doesn't have.

Great work Ads!

Brendan
27-10-2014, 12:50 PM
A little teaser perhaps?
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/jg2yl-Teaser.jpg

keloooe
28-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Nice to hear Adsy, I have been on multiple vBulletin forums and they are so nice and stable!

The idea of the dual-site-system definitely sounds more efficient and faster IMHO.

stan
28-10-2014, 01:52 AM
great work, it is a great platform, PM messaging enabled I hope!

wokkaboy
28-10-2014, 04:34 AM
good news Ads, I had a chance to have a sneak peek at the new platform and it looks good, anything faster and with more features has to be a good step !

ponch
28-10-2014, 04:46 AM
X2 for the pm feature. That'd be a great way to end thread hijacks which I'm too frequently guilty of.

wokkaboy
28-10-2014, 05:07 AM
haha yeah me too Andrew, think the 2 of us are the worst thread jackers on the forum

pablopepper
28-10-2014, 05:07 AM
Well, this is an exciting development. Can't wait to check it out.

robin
28-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Excellent news Adam. You already have the best site for amateur guitar builders in the world. This is going to be something special.

rob

Brendan
30-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Hmmm...
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/455n5-Teaser2.jpg

AJ
31-10-2014, 12:00 AM
will be great :)

ponch
31-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Outstanding!

wokkaboy
31-10-2014, 02:46 AM
presume Ads will announce when the new platform is available to use for all. Can't wait now and having that message feature will be handy and limit thread jacking !

kells80aus
31-10-2014, 05:19 AM
You know what would be really nice, would be an instant message facility that is run by a moderator, say at specific times so ppl could chat about issues they have with work they are doing on their builds, ie; like issues with applying laquer, and how much thiners to use. :)

Otherwise this is a great move forword. If it already has a IM function then disregard. I didn't see it on my quick peek. :)

PK

wokkaboy
31-10-2014, 05:32 AM
great idea PK to instant message but might be hard with up to 3 hours time difference. Would probably work with a message to someone in a similar time zone.

kells80aus
01-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Ah well that would just mean the East coast boys would have to ask permission to stay up late. :P

They used to have a system on Yahoo that a lot of groups used.
But It seems to have gone by the board and it's disappeared.

PK