PDA

View Full Version : FB-1 "Firebird Question"

adam
13-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Hey Folks, I have a question on email from Stephen:

"I'm looking at your FB-1 kit as a possible option for sourcing a replacement neck for an Epiphone Firebird (bolt-on neck).

I can't tell from the photos on your webpage (it may just be a trick of the eye) if the position of the tuner holes in the headstock are aligned with the nut slots.. in other words does the position of the holes keep the strings in a straight line from the bridge to the tuner or is there a change in angle past the nut?

Also, is the neck profile C or D? Slim like an SG or fat like an LP?"

I don't have any FB-1 kits here to check, can someone who has one of these kits answer these questions?

bargeloobs
13-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Well I'll answer the easy one, there is most definitely a change in string angle that occurs at the nut (both on the X and Y plane)although difficult to see with a Firebird headstock the mere fact that the strings have to go around a tuning peg creates a slight angle.
Because of the downward break angle created at the nut any sideways string variation that occurs from the nut to the tuners should have little bearing on the overall playability of the instrument.
I'd be more concerned about the fit at the neck pocket, the chances of a PBG neck fitting an Epiphone neck pocket without some sort of reworking would be slim I'd imagine.

ear_spear
13-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply, bargleoobs. I appreciate your input.

I'm not concerned about the normal headstock angle, anything mimicking a Gibbo's going to have that and it's definitely necessary for correct string tension. So all good with that.

As far as the issue of string alignment? It's purely aesthetic for me. As you know these 'Birds have an unusual shape to the headstock as it is and it would be kind of nice to see straight strings right through.. nice, but not essential.

I take your point about the dimensions of the neck pocket, but any difference is something I can work around. Using an FB-1 kit neck is a far easier course of action than sourcing one elsewhere.. the guitar belongs to my son and currently has a neck sourced from a dubious Chinese supplier.. it's virtually unplayable, albeit a fair replica visually. Replacements for these bolt-on neck Firebirds are impossible to find due to the originals all being neck through body.

Thanks again for the info.

stan
13-10-2014, 09:05 AM
hey mate, if it is simply a broken neck, there are some very skilled people here, especially DB and the Gavmeister, who may be able to fix it...

bargeloobs
13-10-2014, 09:14 AM
/<\\/p>[[b]]<\\/p>/
it would be kind of nice to see straight strings right through.. nice, but not essential.

You may luck out with the peg holes and get nice straight strings but in my experience with the hole placement on these kits it's pretty hit and miss, in all fairness take a look at half the Gibsons out there and see how straight the alignment is:P
I guess if you've got no problems playing round with the pocket/neck heel in order to get things to fit properly one of these necks should do nicely I reckon.

ear_spear
13-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Hey Stan, nice to hear from you.

This Firebird was, believe it or not, retrieved in pretty new nick from someone's hard rubbish about a year ago.. the headstock was snapped off at the nut and missing, but everything else was there, right down to the pickgaurd, Tune-O-Matic and saddle. It's the cheap Epi Firebird that came out of Korea in the nineties, bolt on neck, laminate body, etc. It was given to me because I like to build and refurb guitars as a hobby, and I figured I'd use the hardware and switchgear on a future project.

My son took a look at it, fell in love with it and asked me to fix it up for him as a little extra present for his eighteenth birthday. So some frustrating months later I managed to secure a 22 fret neck with a blank paddle headstock and knocked out a neck for it. The upshot is that my son wants me to build the 'Bird for him so that it has sentimental value.

I really appreciate the offer to put me in touch with someone who can repair the old neck but I'll respectfully and gratefully decline.I guess my son wants to be able to say his old man built it for him.

ear_spear
13-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I hear you, bargeloobs. OEMs don't always get it right, and I guess that's why we build our own. The search for perfection is never ending...

pablopepper
13-10-2014, 09:09 PM
A possible alternative: build the kit as is and use the guts from the Epi to deck out the new guitar.

Fretworn
14-10-2014, 01:22 AM
You would probably find it difficult to replicate the original firebird headstock from the neck in the kit. There isn't enough wood in the unshaped paddle, so you would have to come up with a compromise headstock anyway. As far as the string alignment on the headstock, from the pictures of the two FB-1s in the gallery, I think the strings are pretty straight from the nut to the tuning machines.

PBG necks are usually pretty meaty with a D profile (I haven't made a FB-1 so they may be different) but it is easy enough with some diligent sanding to reshape the neck into a shallower C profile. Like Bargey said the neck pocket will be your biggest issue. But it's definitely worth a try.

You could always go for the Randall Hall "Telebird"
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/bob081191/rh2.png

ear_spear
14-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Hey Fretworn, nice to hear from you.

I take your point about the compromised headstock.. the headstock on it at present is a much shorter version of a ridgey didge Firebird, more like reverse strat in size. But I can live with that, methinks.

Hi Pablopepper. I'd be happy to build the PBG kit and transplant, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the FB-1 kit body supplied routed for standard humbuckers? The Epi has minis, pretty important if you're after that 'Bird sound. If the kit's supplied with minis then your suggestion is definitely viable.

That Telebird is a beast, one of a kind for sure. if this guitar was for me, I'd probably make something like it out of what I have.

I really appreciate everyone's input into this issue.. all advise and suggestions are very much welcome.

stan
14-10-2014, 09:10 AM
sounds like you have a direction and a plan - good luck, and do a rebuild thread, would love to see it come to life