PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding Issues:-(

bargeloobs
04-10-2014, 05:51 AM
So I was watching a dude on YouTube finishing a guitar with wet and dry paper and he was using scolding hot water with a dash of washing up liquid, the reason being that the heat in the water reduced the scratches and haze when using ultra fine sandpaper.
He seemed to be getting really good results so I had to give it a go for myself.
Everything was going good (or so I thought), went over the whole guitar with 2000 grit, went away to do some other stuff only to come back a half hour later only to discover my guitar had shrunk quite severely.
Has anyone else heard of this happening and if so is there a workaround to help me get this back to a semi-playable size?
Any help would be appreciated, cheers in advance.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/lhvr8-33.jpg

wokkaboy
04-10-2014, 05:55 AM
HAHA nice one Barge, how did you do this bit of paintshopping ? certainly looks like your build.
Maybe use slightly cooler water mate !
If its the real thing I'll post my address and you can post it to me and it will go on the pizza oven door where all my secret working elves live ! :)

bargeloobs
04-10-2014, 06:37 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on October 3, 2014, 14:55
HAHA nice one Barge, how did you do this bit of paintshopping ? certainly looks like your build.
Maybe use slightly cooler water mate !
If its the real thing I'll post my address and you can post it to me and it will go on the pizza oven door where all my secret working elves live ! :)

I wish this was a photoshop hoax Wokks! Unfortunately we've got a serious problem here that I'm not sure is fixable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHH6Ywy47s

wokkaboy
04-10-2014, 06:59 AM
haha you crack me up Barge, where did you get the mini axe ? would love a couple for the workshop

I think major shrinkage is a major understatement mate !

AJ
04-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Dam! I feel for you Barge......................lol

gavinturner
04-10-2014, 09:07 AM
LOL Awesome Bargey. I think it looks cooler this way. I had no idea that's how they made those little replica guitars you see in the shops..

Cheers,
Gav.

stan
04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
very cool Bargy, you can enter it in the PBG Miniature of the Month

Wiring the pickups must be hell, and chasing an earthing short, OMG!

Brendan
04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Dunno - maybe a hot iron and a wet towel - have got a couple of dings out that way - may work for you here Bargie ;) .

Maybe this is a way to do ES' - get them way oversized, wire them up, then shrink them with the hot water and wet 'n dry method.

bargeloobs
05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on October 4, 2014, 08:37
Dunno - maybe a hot iron and a wet towel - have got a couple of dings out that way - may work for you here Bargie ;) .

Maybe this is a way to do ES' - get them way oversized, wire them up, then shrink them with the hot water and wet 'n dry method.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines myself, try and get some moisture back into it to expand things a bit. I like the hot iron idea though man..genius!
I think you might be onto something with the ES kits too, you just need some way to instantly retard the shrinking process or you'll end up with my problem:P

stan
05-10-2014, 05:11 AM
top idea Barge - dehydrated guitars!
you could buy them in packs of six!

bargeloobs
05-10-2014, 06:58 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from stan on October 4, 2014, 14:11
top idea Barge - dehydrated guitars!
you could buy them in packs of six!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/qv5c0-cmu.jpg