PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Isolator

pablopepper
02-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm all for innovation, but I'm wondering where this fits musically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dWvDZGua6s
Thinking maybe Sonic Youth might get some ideas here. Anyway, weird.

bargeloobs
03-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Definitely got a cool sound and a very clever design but ultimately it's pretty gimmicky with very little practical real world use as far as I can see.
Could probably dial in a similar sound on guitar rig with a bit of knob twiddling.

wokkaboy
03-10-2014, 01:28 AM
yer some cool sounds from the harmonics but agree its probably got limited practical uses

Fretworn
03-10-2014, 02:26 AM
I prefer the Hans Reichel idea of have hammering on behind the bridge to set up harmonics on the neck side of the bridge. His music was pretty out there, but his guitars sounded better than the Harmonic Isolator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qh2kOpPlXk

pablopepper
03-10-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, that was....different. Agreed though Fretworn, sounds a ton better.

wokkaboy
03-10-2014, 05:01 AM
yeah agreed that video sounds heaps better

Nickosaurus
03-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Cool idea but it just sounds like a heavy modulation/chorus all in all. Mix the pedals 100% wet and you will get those sounds easily. I'd rather use a pedal and not a gimmicky looking guitar.

Could really make some cool interludes with that sound... Interesting.

Gavin1393
03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
As a moderator I am wondering if I should invoke my powers of total destruction and apply them to this thread, you know, to protect the forum members sanity and eardrums who haven't as yet suffered through the torture of the first video!???
In fact I'll leave it up so we can play a game of rodeo...who can stand listening through to the end of the video...I think I made 90 seconds, curious to find out if it got any better....it didn't! ;)

AJ
03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Hey.. don't knock the top one fellas... watched any B grade Japanese movies lately. If you had one of them contraptions, I'm sure you'd get all the gigs at the local geisha and dining houses that cater for that style of eastern / oriental music...not to mention backing tracks in their movies... ROFLMSO

On a serious note... it could have possibilities.

stan
03-10-2014, 09:16 PM
the instrument is cleverly made, but there it ends, I made the 90 seconds, but only just

Fretworn
04-10-2014, 02:00 AM
In the avant-garde music world, where Derek Bailey, Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser, Elliott Sharp and the like exist, these guitars would be considered genius. Fortunately for me I'm not in that world. Although I did make it about 3 minutes into the first video.