PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Bigsby to a ES-1GT

makarauk
17-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Hi All,

I just got my ES-1GT kit delivered, and I have a Bigsby Tremolo that I would like to fit to it rather than the standard tailpiece that comes with the kit.

Does anyone have any advise on this? I have never tried to build my own kit before, so hopefully I am not biting off more than I can chew, but I figure it should be fine....

I had a look over the kit and the tremolo bar and it looks like I will need to drill into the body to fit it...but that also seems to be the case for the standard tailpiece as there are no holes in the body for the tail to screw into...is that the case?

If anyone has any words of wisdom that would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

WeirdBits
18-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Which Bigsby model are you using?

makarauk
19-09-2014, 11:43 PM
hey scott - its the b70

Fretworn
20-09-2014, 02:44 AM
I don't know the construction of the ES-1GT so I don't know how far the centre block goes. If you were going to be screwing the top screws into the centre block, then There really shouldn't be an issue if the B70 will reach up to where the stop tailpiece would have been, there there should be no problem. If you knock on the top can you locate the centre block?

WeirdBits
20-09-2014, 05:04 AM
The centre block on an ES-1G runs through to the tail, and should be the same on your GT, so installing a B70 shouldn't be an issue. If you take your time and are careful you'll be fine even as a first build. Basically, you have two choices, either wait until the guitar has the finish on and the neck glued in before installing the Bigsby, or prior to finishing you clamp the neck in place, position the Bigsby, mark and drill the holes and then continue with the build. Each has pro's and con's, but if you make a mistake it's easier to fix it before the finish goes on... at least, that's my opinion.

Essentially, you clamp the neck in place, work out your centreline, roughly position the Bigsby, then use fishing-line/e-strings to align the Bigsby with the bridge and neck, then mark and drill your holes. The DB approved method looks like this, albeit with a B5 style model, but the process is the same:
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/u26yn-IMG_1364.JPG

This video shows a B7 being installed on a finished Gretsch, but it will be essentially the same with your ES-1GT, either before or after finishing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VhGSC-egQ

There's lots of similar videos, just do a search. If you want more specific help, start a build diary and the community can offer detailed advice as your builld progresses.

Good luck.