PDA

View Full Version : Pup upgrade for PBH-4

dave.king1
11-09-2014, 11:32 PM
G'day bass players,

I have a PBH-4 kit that I am about to start putting together and have my doubts about the standard pups.

Not sure which direction to go in but am considering a 1970's Fender Tele HB for the bridge position and no idea what to use in the mid / neck position.

The Tele pup will require the cavity to be changed slightly and also a new pick guard because it is mounted from the top with horrible big lugs on the ends that need to be hidden.

The Tele pup is currently on my Yamaha bass which I use for practice only so I'll probably do a simple swap there.

Open to suggestions.

Alternatively does anyone have a demo clip of the PBH-4 played through an amp with flat settings and no effects.

I will be playing it through an H||H IC100-S with a 4x10 Eminence loaded box with possibly a bit of compression and no other effects.

dave.king1
16-09-2014, 11:21 PM
OK, no leads here so I did a heap of reading and decided to go with GFS pups rather than mod the body and also not take the Yamaha bass out of action.

P Bass Alnico vintage for the standard position and MM Pro + Alnico HB for the bridge, just need to sort out the electrics to suit now

pablopepper
16-09-2014, 11:34 PM
I used the GFS MM pro+ in my PBH-4 and I love it. I was going to use the GFS P bass pickup, but they were out of stock so for the middle position I used a Tonerider Precision plus which is outstanding. Good luck!

dave.king1
16-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks Craig, I didn't consider the tonerider after reading the GFS commentary.

I also got the GFS Oversize top mount bass bridge to beef it up a bit.

The whole thing is coming together slowly, grain is sealed and I'll sand and spray the body in the next few days.

BTW what changes if any did you make to the pots & caps, I'm a bit undecided on this but I guess I'll wait and see what recommendation comes with the pups if any.

pablopepper
17-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I just upgraded a bit to alpha pots and an orange drop cap. Good call on the bridge, I used a very similar one and it rules. Makes restringing a breeze.