PDA

View Full Version : Inlaying supposedly made easy Ive not tried this but looks interesting

kimball492
10-09-2014, 05:15 PM
http://youtu.be/ZvFb9WNacbU

Best wishes

Kimball

bargeloobs
10-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Definitely a cheaper solution than getting a custom inlay cut but from what I can see this technique's success (or failure) is solely determined by your skills using a dremel, if you stuff up the etching in any way, shape or form as soon as you drop the filler in it's gonna be accentuated and unfortunately irreparable. Unlike a traditional inlay where if you stuff up the rout a little bit you can just use filler, what you see is what you get with this one.
Unless you've got the steady hands of a surgeon I'd be hesitant to try this.

gavinturner
10-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Very cool! If I ever progress to neck making I'll definitely give this a try!

Cheers,
Gav

stan
11-09-2014, 02:01 AM
interesting vid, thanks

AJ
11-09-2014, 04:07 AM
great idea me thinks, definitely worth a crack at

wokkaboy
11-09-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm with Barge on this one, not a bad technique but stuff up the routing and its going to be messy to fix. Think the only way to do it is with a MOP inlay

Gavin1393
11-09-2014, 07:23 AM
No, this is actually incredibly easy to do with a dremmel and a 1/32 or 3/64 inch drill bit. You are far more likely to break the bit than have the router escape from your grip and trash your fretboard.
This is in fact how I do all my inlays except that I use MOP. Because his inlay is fairly complex with 'itty-bitty' curves and sections, his method makes some sense. but I know that I'd be finished well before he is if I was to route the channels and cut the MOP for my inlays. In fact my inlay would be sitting in glue within 15-20 minutes.

Just some comments on his process. I would NEVER be using a square block or free hand to sand the fretboard. He should be using a radiussed block over the length of the fretboard when levelling the inlay. Guaranteed to give you buzzing issues if you follow his method. But then I'm sure this was just for demonstration purposes of his technique.
i was wondering how he planned to harden the Timbermate (was surprised the solution involved Timbermate) so that was very interesting. left me wondering if you could colour the timber mate to mimic MOP before applying the super glue....may need to conduct an experiment!

Enjoyed the post and learned something at the same time!

Brendan
11-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I hope that the neck is the same width as the fretboard and he doesn't need to shave a little off the sides :).

dingobass
11-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Hmmmmmm, nice idea but timber mate isnt designed to do this kind of job.. Even with the glue i can see this cracking and falling apart, especially when the frets are pressed or hammered in.

Gavin1393
11-09-2014, 02:26 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on September 10, 2014, 22:28
Hmmmmmm, nice idea but timber mate isnt designed to do this kind of job.. Even with the glue i can see this cracking and falling apart, especially when the frets are pressed or hammered in.

That was my feeling as well....

bargeloobs
11-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I guess you could do a fine sawdust blend with the Timbermate to increase elasticity and strength but obviously you're gonna lose the bright white appearance.
I still reckon the average person would have difficulty routing complex designs freehand with any degree of precision.

stan
12-09-2014, 12:44 AM
He's doing it on an already radiused fretboard as well, extra difficulty points

jarrod
15-09-2014, 11:16 PM
thank god for cnc ;)

kimball492
21-09-2014, 04:30 AM
When did you get a cnc machine Jarrod . He he he I didn't realise lol. Hope it's going well
Kimball