PDA

View Full Version : Red Special kit

JCDon12
08-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Hello, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a Red Special kit made, this would probably have to include: Burn's Tri-sonic pickups, Brian May Knife Edge tremolo system and a wilkinson's roller bridge. the body would be made of mahogany and it should have the same hollow cavities on the inside if you are to get the right tone on the guitar.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ykv35-guyton1a.jpg

dingobass
08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
We have looked into this. From memory the RS is a tad too techo for our manufacturers.
Not to mention they are real dogs to wire up....

Gavin1393
09-09-2014, 04:56 AM
C'mon DB, you could knock this together for him...if the price is right!

JCDon12
09-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Sadly, my budget is only about $600 AUD, so I could possibly make some compromisations if necessary. For example, a cheaper bridge or a white oak body. But yeah, little things like that.

bargeloobs
09-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Those Wilkinson bridges are peanuts anyway, there's no reason why you couldn't reproduce this for 600 bucks easily. Give Adam an email with your specs and put in a custom order, don't expect it to be here tomorrow though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GW-Sonic-3-Vintage-sound-at-its-best-MAD-PRICE-Will-fit-Burns-Guitars-/111235177676?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item19e6221ccc

GlennGP
09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Seriously, I have the detailed CAD images for a scratch-build of this. It's on my "to do" list. I'm the one who last asked Adam to check this out, and the kit manufacturers couldn't do it. If you're prepared to forego the chambers, simplify the neck fitting, use an off the shelf bridge, trem and pups, and work out the electronics yourself, it might be possible to get a kit body and neck manufactured, but the finished guitar would not have the same sonic characteristics. For my money, I wouldn't see the point if you couldn't recreate that Red Special sound.

I'll get around to the scratch-build one day. Or, alternatively, I might just be inspired by the Red Special to create something unique which isn't quite so complicated!

Eric67
08-01-2021, 09:24 PM
I would definitely be interested in it. If the kit provides just the basic routing with simplified hardware, it could be be personalized to achieve something closer to the real thing if someone want to go this path, or just have a cool similar looking budget instrument. Please Adam, consider this! There are already some copies on Aliexpress that are looking close enough. It can be further customized by the builder...38732

XweAponX
15-08-2021, 06:38 AM
This is the reason I just joined this forum, to ask if this could be done. I would certainly be interested in a kit like this, it depends upon the price, my only other option is to buy a Chinese clone, I have seen a couple of interesting looking ones but they generally take three months to ship. I don’t know why. I don’t really care if it is exact.

The only other thing I would like is my friend recently got an Ibanez Iceman kit, but I don’t see them for sale on the main website.

Dikkybee007
15-08-2021, 10:38 AM
I bought a copy from the Brian May website. The cost about 5 years ago was around AUD$900 with $250 postage which in the day was still cheaper than a Fender to then learn there was a $275 local tax that was added before they would allow delivery. I of course got the cheaper version where the bridge is an off the shelf type whereas the more expensive model, from memory in the day was about the $4000+ mark, which was an exact copy. The biggest problem I have is the neck and string spacing are a little larger than a Pitbull guitar, about +2 mm at nut and +4 mm at bridge, and the neck is thicker in depth and with my average size hands makes it a challenge when swopping between my other guitars. The 6 slide switches allows you to turn on/off each pickup and put each pickup in a different phase which does allow for some different sounds but at days end I normally go for one of my Pitbull as I found them more comfortable to play. Only reason I could afford the guitar was a recent redundancy so it was used to drown my sorrows, that's what I told my wife.