PDA

View Full Version : dingotone colours

ponch
07-09-2014, 02:00 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if its possible to get a few colour samples for the dingotone range currently in the store. Very interested in the black, just would like to see it on some wood before I order it. Congrats on the launch db and Adam! I'm sure the community will get behind these products, I know I've been hanging out for them.

adam
07-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi Andrew, I think DB has some more photos from his testing, which we can put up when he sends them to me. However, I think it's going to be up to the community to send us photos of the finish on different woods as guitars are built. It would be nice to have a selection of images for each colour on different woods, with different number of coats, etc. That way customers have a better idea of what to expect for their kit.

Yes, we did consider doing up some sample pieces on wood offcuts, but we thought this may not be an accurate representation and also didn't have the time or resources.

So, I think someone is just going have to dive in and give them a go.

ponch
07-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Thanks Adam. Maybe if I post a few pics of the finish I'm thinking about the great man can advise me. I want to get somewhere between the two, a bit darker than the prs, a bit lighter than the mayoness.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2aq73-11070216110731b_2.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/012t2-CATIMG22b5401ba59c5de5330aede6ae37f964.jpg

Brendan
07-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Andrew, from what I've seen the black is darker than BMW from Wudtone. I think it'd be relatively close - will also depend on the wood and how it takes up the stain, application, etc., but the sample that DB showed me a while ago (on a maple neck as a test), was pretty black. The finish is also glossier than Wudtone with less effort. That said, it may not be as glossy as the guitar you're aiming for - I think that would require some acrylic and elbow grease.

ponch
07-09-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks mate. The wood that it's going on is quilted maple, just for the cap. Back and sides will be an Amber colour and a natural neck, probably black head stock.

Brendan
07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Andrew - might be worthwhile sending DB (dingobass@pitbullguitars.com)an email - see if he can post some samples that aren't "shop" grade (won't go on the catalogue), but might give you an idea on how deep the colour is.

dingobass
07-09-2014, 03:36 AM
Andrew, the black is so black that lesser blacks run away and hide...

This isnt the best pic but will give you some idea of how black it is.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/j769q-image.jpg

This is just two coats of the stain.......

Brendan
07-09-2014, 03:42 AM
Andrew - forgot to add - much more user friendly than Wudtone. Just seems to go on nicer. Also smells nicer - if you're married, you may even get away with guitar work in the house!

pablopepper
07-09-2014, 03:45 AM
It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

ponch
07-09-2014, 03:47 AM
Brendan thanks mate. Db, effing wow! Do you think that is all I'd need to pop the grain with the black, then go back over with one light coat to get the polishing effect of a charcoal burst? And is there any way to dilute the colour?

ponch
07-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Sorry Brendan missed a point, im aiming for more of a satin finish anyway so not too concerned about the gloss levels. Also, do you know if the top coats are film so that it fills small pores like the gun stock oil that shall remain unnamed.

dingobass
07-09-2014, 04:10 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from andrew on September 6, 2014, 12:47
Brendan thanks mate. Db, effing wow! Do you think that is all I'd need to pop the grain with the black, then go back over with one light coat to get the polishing effect of a charcoal burst? And is there any way to dilute the colour?

I would say one stain coat then go in with the intensifying coat and you should end up with a nice charcoal burst.
You can manipulate the stain coat by going in lightly at first then slowly build up to the desired intensity..

Diluting the product will upset the balance of the ingredients and may have a detrimental effect on the finish.

ponch
07-09-2014, 04:19 AM
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on the kit in november and give this a bash. Thanks so much for developing this, and congrats on the launch again.

ponch
07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Sorry to be a pest, but do the top coats build film thickness? Not much of an issue with the ib build but the Tele I'm about to start has a 'different' finish to say the least. Google should sugi ban and you'll see what I mean. Was thinking of the colorless kit, but after the guitar is 'stained' I dont want to put something like a sanding sealer on in fear of ruining the finish or using timbermate pre finish caus I don't think butane and timbermate would be mates.

Brendan
07-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Andrew - how about this as an idea?
http://youtu.be/5Jfi0sOawT0

ponch
07-09-2014, 06:09 AM
That's MENTAL! What I love most is he says it's controllable, then woof! Smoke alarm goes of haha. Great idea though. I feel it may be tricky to get my hands on gun powder though. Looks cool though, but still like the sugi method. It looks unreal when you sand it back a bit afterwards.