PDA

View Full Version : Help with the finish

makarauk
06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can advise here.

I've never tried a self build before, and am just about to order the RC-1. I have an idea of how I want it to look at the end of the project but given I've never tried this before i wanted to know what I need to order to get the finish I'm after.

Basically, I'm thinking I want a burst effect, with a white centre blending to the azure blue at the edges....for this would I need to order 2 types of finish? Or can I order the azure blue wudtone and then buy a white separately?

As an aside, I was also wondering if anyone knew if the RC-1 will fit a bigsby vibrato bridge?

If anyone can advise that would be appreciated

Cheers

dingobass
07-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Hey Mak,
The Az lagoon and the white dont go together very well as the Azure is a transparent finish and the white is a solid finish...
I would advise that for your first build keep it simple, bursts take a bit of practice to get looking right :)
Azure Lagoon on its own looks really hot on the Ricci!

With the Bigsby, I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work.

Brendan
07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Mick - another alternative that may give a similar effect is to do the top in Azure Lagoon and then gently sand out the middle to give a burst from colourless (natural) to Azure on the edges. This can also be helped with going heavy on the edges and lighter in the middle. You should be able to do this with 0000 steel wool after you've done the colour layers and before finishing with the top coats. You'll still end up with Azure in the middle, just a lighter version of the edges.

makarauk
07-09-2014, 10:00 PM
That's great, thanks guys...really looking forward to starting this project! I'll post once I'm underway....