PDA

View Full Version : Fret Levelling and the 0th Fret

gavinturner
03-09-2014, 12:10 PM
hi guys,

I'm about to do a fret level and re-crown on the fretboard of my MK-2. I've never handled a fretboard with a 0th fret before. What is the concensus as to how to handle this? Should I just level the 0th fret along with all the others? Should I leave it be? Normally the height of the nut is adjusted after the fret level, but now the 0th fret is controlling string height at what is normally the nut position. If I don't level it, then how do I control it's height? It's enough to drive me to drink :) .

Any help greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
03-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey Gav

Some folks levelled the Zero Fret together with the other frets. This way, the open string acts and sounds like all the other fretted positions on the fretboard.

However, some people tend to put the Zero Fret a hair taller (ie - leave it higher when refretting or leveling, or use larger fretwire for the Zero fret). Others install and treat the zero fret like it is just another fret, since it is... it's works just like a capo'd fret would work. However, I believe leaving a bit taller, just a hair, is good practice - that is what I do.

jarrod
03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Interesting Gav, i kind of wondered what the whole point of a 0 fret was.

gavinturner
03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Gav! that's kinda what I suspected. Maybe if I dont level the 0th fret, its current height will then be a smidge higher than the others.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
05-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Glad I'll find all this out once your Mossie is strung up Gav how it all goes with the zero fret. Hopefully the Dimarzio pickup arrives by tomoz so you can put it all together this weekend

ultpanzi
05-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Leaving it about 1 or 2mm taller is what is recommended to have lower action and youll need less curvature in the neck to prevent buzz.