PDA

View Full Version : Fender VI Kit

dave.king1
03-09-2014, 03:07 AM
G'day Adam,

Many years ago I had a very much loved and now terribly missed Fender VI Series II.

A kit based on this rather wonderful and versatile instrument would be snapped up by at least one person ;)

Here is a pic of it in action around 1972
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/Kimberly_Country/KCB/KCB_a.jpg

Here's a couple of tracks featuring the bass
https://soundcloud.com/suthol/05-sherry-wine

Heavy rock with a band called Hydra in about 1971
https://soundcloud.com/suthol/03-so-far-from-home

wokkaboy
03-09-2014, 03:14 AM
classic pic Dave, bet you wished you never sold the Fender VI !
One of the guys on the forum Bassguy owns one, well he did about 8 months ago.
Sure these would be a popular kit to build

dave.king1
05-09-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd love to know where the old axe finished up it was black with a white pick guard and the bridge pup cavity had been opened up for a humbucker ( yeah I was young and stupid ) but had been converted back to all OEM electrics before I let it go.

dave.king1
11-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Bumped just to bring this back into the conversation :D

nDR01d
11-07-2015, 03:49 PM
I'd buy one 4sure! (actually, any guitar with a baritone neck :p).

xDruichii
11-07-2015, 04:55 PM
I've been looking at these all night. Very tempted to buy the squier one. But a kit would be even better.

dave.king1
11-07-2015, 09:40 PM
I've been looking at these all night. Very tempted to buy the squier one. But a kit would be even better.
The Squier one is pretty much a clone of my one in the pic, the Fender Pawnshop one has a HB in the bridge and for mine is not the same beast.

Funnily enough I purchased mine in the same pawn shop as I got my L series PBass, Elliot's in Elizabeth St Sydney. Sadly now long gone along with the Thooeys brewery in the adjacent block.

Back in the 1960s there was a basement nightclub in the same block that was the favoured haunt of the local Sharpies who took their name from the golf shop with the famous neon sign of the golfer chipping in. We were mods and may or may not have had some epic run ins with said sharpies

Bass Guy
12-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Yes, still have the Squier VI and am planning to record with it in the next few weeks.
It's a Strat for basses. Huge variety of tones.

xDruichii
12-07-2015, 10:46 AM
have you tried the squier? how does it stand up to the original?

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 12:14 PM
have you tried the squier? how does it stand up to the original?

I haven't tried the Squier a I'm pretty sure it would be a decent weapon but I'd b hard pressed to do a valid comparison because I let the original go in about 1976.

Maybe the desire for a kit now is lust for a love long lost but having said that I would buy a VI kit in a heartbeat

dingobass
12-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Did someone say FENDER VI?!!!!! :)

Yes please.

I shall now gently twist Adam's arm until he relents and orders a whole bunch of VI's.....

crampstastic
12-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes Please! I'll buy one.

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 02:02 PM
I feel a divorce coming on :D

Bass Guy
12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
I haven't tried the Squier a I'm pretty sure it would be a decent weapon but I'd b hard pressed to do a valid comparison because I let the original go in about 1976.

Maybe the desire for a kit now is lust for a love long lost but having said that I would buy a VI kit in a heartbeat

I would encourage every guitarist to have one in their arsenal, and for a bassist it's a must have.

I can source the specs of mine if Adam needs them.

dingobass
12-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Bassguy, You rock. \m/

Bass Guy
12-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Specs from the Squier site

http://www.squierguitars.com/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-bass-vi-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

The only issue I can anticipate is maybe sourcing inexpensive strings. I use D'Addario sets specifically made for a Fender VI and I think La Bella make a set.

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Specs from the Squier site

http://www.squierguitars.com/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-bass-vi-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

The only issue I can anticipate is maybe sourcing inexpensive strings. I use D'Addario sets specifically made for a Fender VI and I think La Bella make a set.

Mine was originally a burst finish but the original owner had sanded it back to natural timber but still with the tort pickguard, then around 1974 I painted it black and put a white pickguard on it.

For strings I always used the genuine Fender sets and to be honest don't know if there were options back then.

As a player the thing to remember it is a bass and should be played as one with an extended scale so Vai et al need not apply.

Now, when are the kits coming on line ;)

wokkaboy
12-07-2015, 05:33 PM
I'd be keen to buid a IV kit as its axe I don't have. sure the factory can sort it out

GeneralKaos
12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I would encourage every guitarist to have one in their arsenal, and for a bassist it's a must have.

Why? :D

dingobass
12-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Why? :D

Think Jimi Hendrix Experience with Noel Readding on FVI

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Think Jimi Hendrix Experience with Noel Readding on FVI

And Jack Bruce in early Cream and as I have posted elsewhere Jet Harris in The Shadows plus the vastly unerrated Glenn Campbell in Wichita Lineman

Edited to add: Ash body pretty please :D

pablopepper
13-07-2015, 07:10 AM

BG, what gauges of string do you use on such an instrument, if you don't mind me asking?

dave.king1
13-07-2015, 07:16 AM
BG, what gauges of string do you use on such an instrument, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoted direct from Wiki

Specifications
Fender Bass VI string set.

Like other Fenders of the time, the Fender VI had a 7.25-inch fingerboard radius.
The Fender VI, along with the Jaguar, the Jazzmaster and the Electric XII, was given a bound fretboard with rectangular block inlays in 1967, followed by a thicker black CBS-style headstock decal and polyester finishes instead of nitrocellulose lacquer in 1968.

Solid body (alder) fretted electric bass guitar, six strings in six courses tuned E-A-D-G-B-E an octave below the normal guitar tuning.
Scale length 30” / 762 mm (as opposed to 34” / 864 mm for the Jazz and Precision basses) for the US versions, 30,3" for the Japanese versions.
Curved fingerboard (rosewood), radius 7.25” / 184 mm, 21 frets
Standard strings .095 .075 .055 .045 .035 .025 inches, Fender stainless steel, P/N 073-5350-000.
Fender floating tremolo arm.

Bass Guy
13-07-2015, 08:51 AM

D'addario EXL156 set. .024, .034, .044, .056, .072, .084

Tindrrel
13-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Sounds fun, I'd get one.

Bass Guy
13-07-2015, 10:33 AM
https://youtu.be/3Zu5KLG0M30

Demo of "The Prisoner"- named in tribute to the old cult TV series because of the 6 strings.... "you are Number Six", etc...

pablopepper
13-07-2015, 10:38 AM
D'addario EXL156 set. .024, .034, .044, .056, .072, .084

Cheers, BG. Skinny! I suppose that makes sense considering how narrow the neck looks.

Fretworn
13-07-2015, 11:09 AM
And Jack Bruce in early Cream and as I have posted elsewhere Jet Harris in The Shadows plus the vastly unerrated Glenn Campbell in Wichita Lineman

Edited to add: Ash body pretty please :D

Also Aerosmith - "Back in the Saddle" and "Draw the Line"

WeirdBits
13-07-2015, 05:21 PM
The inevitable video link: Pawn Shop vs Squier VI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1oSM1jbLJU)

Bass Guy
13-07-2015, 07:18 PM
The inevitable video link: Pawn Shop vs Squire VI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1oSM1jbLJU)

That was a cool revisit- to my ears the Fender Pawn Shop is more "guitarry" sounding than the Squier.

dave.king1
31-08-2016, 05:55 AM
G'day Adam,

Many years ago I had a very much loved and now terribly missed Fender VI Series II.

A kit based on this rather wonderful and versatile instrument would be snapped up by at least one person ;)

Here is a pic of it in action around 1972
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/Kimberly_Country/KCB/KCB_a.jpg

Here's a couple of tracks featuring the bass
https://soundcloud.com/suthol/05-sherry-wine

Heavy rock with a band called Hydra in about 1971
https://soundcloud.com/suthol/03-so-far-from-home

Bump

The Jag post reminded me :D

wazkelly
31-08-2016, 07:18 PM
I'd almost be tempted too.

dave.king1
31-08-2016, 07:27 PM
I'd almost be tempted too.

Hope you're talking about the guitar and not Caroline she would be mid to high 80s now :D

Chuck
01-09-2016, 06:42 AM
I've had one of the Squier ones for a couple of months now and love it. It is an interesting instrument in that you have to play it a specific way - more guitar than bass, more bass than guitar. I put some flatwounds on mine (as I do with all my basses) and they really suit it as there's a bit more tension in the strings (the stock low E can be a bit floppy). This is the one that I have played around with running through two amps (a guitar amp feed with bass rolled off and some fuzz/ a clean bass amp feed). Works really nicely with power chords from the fifth fret up. I also tend to play it with my thumb rather than a pick or fingerstyle for really smooth lines. It's a really fun instrument and I agree that it's a great one to have in the kit bag regardless of whether you are a bass player or guitarist.

dave.king1
01-09-2016, 07:27 AM
I put some flatwounds on mine (as I do with all my basses) and they really suit it as there's a bit more tension in the strings (the stock low E can be a bit floppy)

I always used the stock flat wound Fender set on the VI and always use the heaviest round wounds I can find on the 4 stringers whether 30" or 34" scale, always played the VI with a pick and hybrid pick the 4 stringers.

The amp I am playing through in the pic is a Dan Armstrong 100W through a single JBL 18" in a closed back / unvented box, gave a really tight & fat sound. It was massive through the Lenard SGB 150W though

wazkelly
02-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Hope you're talking about the guitar and not Caroline she would be mid to high 80s now :D

Of course I was talking about the guitar but now you've brought my attention to the lead singer.....

Bet she could teach me a thing or two and have plenty of tales to tell too.

dave.king1
02-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Of course I was talking about the guitar but now you've brought my attention to the lead singer.....

Bet she could teach me a thing or two and have plenty of tales to tell too.

Plenty of tales, no doubt but when that was taken I was 23 and she was 42, now I'm close on 68 ( nuff said )

Seriously though Caroline had a great voice and came here with her family from Reno Nevada so had the accent to suit the music, Bob the guy with the black & white Epi was the lead singer and principle songwriter ( published playwrite and masters in written English ).

I have a guest spot on his radio show every Tuesday afternoon presenting Australian indie country artists ( streams on 893fm.com.au between 12 & 3, I am on straight after the 1pm news )

[/hijack]

wazkelly
03-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Wow, even if you said she was 32 I would have found that hard to believe too.

I have a Tuesday as RDO last one in the month and will have to remember to check out your radio spot.

dave.king1
04-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Wow, even if you said she was 32 I would have found that hard to believe too.

I have a Tuesday as RDO last one in the month and will have to remember to check out your radio spot.

The station website has a listen on demand function which becomes available at the end of each hour and is overwritten by the same time slot of the following weeks show.

Rev
05-10-2016, 10:32 PM
I'd totally freak out over a VI kit. Would be great to be able to modify the thing from the ground up.

Crash Fistfite
26-06-2017, 11:12 AM
I also vote for the bass vi kit! I have wanted one since the first time I saw "This is Spinal Tap"

"This guitar can never be played. Don't even LOOK at it"

elcodyloco
27-06-2017, 06:14 PM
I owned a Squier Bass VI and the Pawn Shop model both back in 2013, and they were different... the quier had a thinner neck, less to really grab onto for me, and it made me like the Pawn Shop neck more. The bridge humbucker in the Pawn Shop model was also a crazy sound through my Bass Muff pedal. The locking vibrato on the Pawn Shop made me more comfortable using it over the non-locking Squier vibrato. The bass cut toggle on the Squier was incredibly useful though, and the Pawn Shop not having it was a letdown. Easy enough mod to add though, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

If PBG made a Bass VI kit, I'd want the following factors: one solid pickguard (no metal parts, which would reduce production cost), a hardtail bridge instead of a vibrato (maybe a Tune-o-matic with a little extra distance between the tailpiece and bridge), and a trio of mini humbuckers instead of the usual Strat pickups so we can get that hum cancelling jangle that plays better with high gain. Maybe a set of four

I have one more project after my current one before I get to the SG 3/4 scale bass I want to customize to be a Bass VI, but Fender style "offset" designs seem to balance better than an SG bass does, so a PBG bass VI would be a welcome addition to the family... Just less JGA-1, and more JZA-1 vibes. The JGA-1 is just ugly.

Dedman
27-06-2017, 08:30 PM
been eyeing off a Gretch baritone, haven't been able to find a Bass 6 to try

Chuck
28-06-2017, 11:40 AM
been eyeing off a Gretch baritone, haven't been able to find a Bass 6 to try

I had the Gretsch baritone and sold it and got a Squier Bass VI instead. To me the Gretsch was more of an instrument for a guitarist than a bass player - although I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that other than I never felt entirely comfortable with it! I'm just so happy with the Squier one as it's very comfortable and easy to play, and I guess I can't help myself when it comes to offset Fender shapes...

elcodyloco
29-06-2017, 06:07 AM
I liked the Gretsch baritone/bass VI, but I didn't like how the electronics weren't very flexible. No room in the cavities to add switches or anything. Plus, it was a little neck-heavy while standing.

On the other hand, if we could repurpose a GR-1SF or an ESB-4SC body with a 30" scale neck... maybe it would be better balanced than the long baritone neck alongside the smaller plywood Gretsch Jet body. Plus, it's easier to add control holes to hollow bodies than a solid body with a small cavity.

adam
02-07-2017, 08:25 AM
I have been working with the factory on this, but we need to settle on a scale length... 27" or 30"

Sorry, we can't do both.

Thoughts?

dave.king1
02-07-2017, 09:31 AM
30" for me

Chuck
02-07-2017, 09:44 AM
The 30" allows you to tune baritone or octave down, whereas a 27" would be baritone only wouldn't it?

dave.king1
02-07-2017, 11:44 AM
The 30" allows you to tune baritone or octave down, whereas a 27" would be baritone only wouldn't it?

Pretty much, Fender and others have the properly gauged sets for the 30" scale bass

Dedman
02-07-2017, 02:50 PM
30" for me thanks!

Rev
03-07-2017, 07:36 AM
30". Save the 27" for baritone conversions (which are cool too, but thats really a different animal I think).

Bass Guy
03-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Definitely 30" scale. Also be aware that Squier VI bridge can be an intonation nightmare. There's an aftermarket bridge by Staytrem which apparently works miracles, but is pretty pricey.

Here's a link that offers suggested solutions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fender-Squier-Bass-VI-Fixing-tone-tuning-and-inton/

Dedman
03-07-2017, 09:48 PM
seen them with Bigsby's too

dave.king1
04-07-2017, 11:25 AM
30". Save the 27" for baritone conversions (which are cool too, but thats really a different animal I think).

Wire as a series 2 VI with the strangle switch and you have the bass and the bari in one.

All bass's are a bari if you don't venture below B on the A or E strings and a 5 string tuned E - B would give you the same thing as the deep five on the VI with the wider string spacing.

The Fender VI basically has Strat string spacing so quite a challenge to slap and tickle

Bass Guy
04-07-2017, 05:17 PM
The Fender VI basically has Strat string spacing so quite a challenge to slap and tickle

Slap is possible with a bit of practice, and it does take some right hand adjustment. I'll post a video later of my experiments with it...

elcodyloco
05-07-2017, 10:40 PM
30" gets my vote! Trying to get E-E Bass VI tuning on a 27 scale instrument is a pain in the neck. BUT! Don't forget that Fender/Squier makes a Jazzmaster Baritone model now that's 30" scale that is tuned in baritone tuning. It's all about string gauges to fit the scale.

Also, as much as a Bigsby would be cool, they can be tuning stability nightmares, which isn't something you really want on a bass. I vote hardtail Bass VI.

Bass Guy
07-08-2017, 04:40 PM
I found this link for a European importer of what I suspect is a Chinese built Bass VI. It has the specs detailed and a price of €198 as a pricing reference.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarbass_vs_vintage_series.htm

Bass Guy
07-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Oh, and for those that missed it on my facebook page- some shonky slap bass on a Bass VI!😂😂

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154608815170124&id=708560123

dave.king1
07-08-2017, 05:47 PM
VI is for pick El not slapping or spanking ;)

Bass Guy
07-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Yes I think my attempt proves that irrefutably!😁

wazkelly
07-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Get down funky tonight, Yeah.

fatcatthebassist
16-08-2017, 06:48 AM
I totally agree, but what of pickups? I think the VI uses weird proprietary strat-esque pickups, and I don't know if you can just... find them.

(I'd love one, considering legit Fender ones go for like, $10k used)

dave.king1
16-08-2017, 07:38 AM
They were a Jaguar pickup from 1963, I think the claws were supposed to provide some sort of direction/containment of the magnetic field.

( I let my 1964 VI go for $360.00 back in 1975 when it was just an old guitar )

Dedman
16-08-2017, 08:35 AM
fatcat, I recently picked up a used Squire Bass VI for under $500 and have to say it's very nice. So if Pitbulls factory can't do it there is alternative.

wazkelly
16-08-2017, 07:50 PM
fatcat, I recently picked up a used Squire Bass VI for under $500 and have to say it's very nice. So if Pitbulls factory can't do it there is alternative.

Wandering around the web last night and saw plenty of new Squier ones for around $700 on the eastern seaboard of this land downunder. Should be plenty in North America and most likely way cheaper than what we have to pay.

Simon Barden
16-08-2017, 08:06 PM
The Squier Modified Bass VIs are currently £408 in Andertons, which would make them around Aus$650. So Aus$700 isn't too big a price hike compared to the UK. US main dealer sites list them for around US$450/Aus$570, but it's hard to know what you'd actually pay for one because of different sales taxes that get added on to that price depending upon the State you're in.

wazkelly
16-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Plus a bit more for shipping as you would know from importing PBG kits.

Simon Barden
16-08-2017, 08:17 PM
I was just thinking about what you'd pay locally. Shipping from abroad obviously puts the cost up considerably, but at least import duty/tax is minimal in Australia for lower-cost items. In the UK we'd pay an extra 23% on the item cost + shipping cost for non EU items (and that's likely to change in a few years :( ).

wazkelly
16-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Wow, we only have 10% GST (VAT in your country) plus a few other variable tariff calculations.

Seriously looked at importing a Ric 4003 about 15 months ago from Japan where costs were not too bad but ended up buying one from Melbourne instead. Strangely enough if the goods being imported are under AUD $1,000 it is not so bad and from memory I think that is the trigger point for GST being applied. That may have changed as the Government is seeking to grab as much tax revenue as possible and probably closed that loophole. If not already done, won't take them much longer to get around to it.

Simon Barden
16-08-2017, 08:45 PM
I looked fairly recently and there was no import charges under £1000. A good recognition of Australia's relatively isolated location. Still, as you say, the threshold could quite easily drop tomorrow (and I bet it hasn't risen with inflation).

dave.king1
17-08-2017, 05:31 AM
I thought the GST on imports below $1000 was now applied

andrewdosborne
17-08-2017, 06:26 AM
I thought the GST on imports below $1000 was now applied

Doesn’t yet appear so, I recently imported a new replacement Flender neck from the USA went through customs with no GST or other duty applied....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dikkybee007
17-08-2017, 06:44 AM
Depends on where maybe it originates from. I bought in a guitar from England which cost me $1100 AUD and I then got hit with a $279 so called tax when it reached Sydney and they would not release it until the tax was paid. I know 10% GST on 1100 is not 279 so I do not know what it was but that is what I had to pay. I queried it and was told it was tax and it was charged by the company that delivered it which I think was DHL. But seeing as it was a special guitar that I could not get here it was still cheap for what I got but I did not expect the charge.

Dedman
17-08-2017, 11:12 AM
the freight companies charge a "collection" fee

Simon Barden
17-08-2017, 04:45 PM
You need to remember that at $1000 and above you also have to pay 5% duty, then 10% GST on top of that for (total of the item + duty + transport cost). And then of course there is the 'handling change' for filling in the tax forms for the Government.

So 5% of $1100 is $55 in duty. Let's say shipping was declared at $100. You then have to pay 10% of (item+duty+shipping cost), which is ($1100+$55+$100), which is 10% of $1255, which is $125.50.

So the total duty + GST is now $180.50, not $110. Obviously if shipping was a lot more than $100 because of extra insurance, then the GST value goes up. But it looks like DHL charged you quite a hefty processing fee in that total.

Dikkybee007
17-08-2017, 06:20 PM
All up the $1100 was with postage included so it is just 10% of the 1100 and it would be divided between the supplier of the guitar and the courier so at the worst if it is 10% GST plus the other 5% duty, which I have been informed is on everything now that comes in Australia as the $1000 has been removed as the limit, it should have been another $165 which is 15% of $1100. When I asked what the price was for I was told it was to cover the tax as I had already paid the total for transportation and insurance as quoted. If I have to pay the tax then I have no problem as the suppliers, like Harvey Norman, here are delusional that by adding 10% will force us to pay their overpriced amounts. I mainly try to buy from Europe or Singapore as the postage is quicker and cheaper than if I buy here or America but sometimes if I want something I just have to buy from where ever I can get what I want but I try and limit what I get here as the prices are too high and Australia Post is an over priced joke. It takes the same time to get an article from Sydney as it does to get an article from Singapore and it has to go through customs which is another joke.

Dedman
17-08-2017, 06:31 PM
I had a CD posted from Japan on Friday, and a small package posted from Brisbane also on Friday. the CD arrived on Tuesday, the package from Bris on Wednesday. I could track the package via Japan post all the way to my door, , the same tracking number in Aus post says its still in Japan.
Aus post, the best 1/2 arsed service there is.

Simon Barden
17-08-2017, 06:45 PM
In theory it should be possible to arrange and pay the duty + tax yourself to avoid having to pay the exorbitant courier/postal handling charges. But how easy this would be in practice is another matter.

adam
22-09-2017, 05:56 PM
We have some Bass VI "Inspired" kits due in November.

Honestly, I'm not sure what we are going to receive, but there is a new guy at the Factory who is throwing some weight around and seems to be on our side, so I am hopeful it is something you guys (and I) will like.

Bass Guy
22-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Fantastic news! I'll be very excited to see what they come up with...

adam
22-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Fantastic news! I'll be very excited to see what they come up with...

Like you need another Bass.

Bass Guy
22-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Like you need another Bass.

Ah but I do!😂

dave.king1
06-10-2017, 05:24 PM
We have some Bass VI "Inspired" kits due in November.

Honestly, I'm not sure what we are going to receive, but there is a new guy at the Factory who is throwing some weight around and seems to be on our side, so I am hopeful it is something you guys (and I) will like.

Any previews for us Adam if it's as appealing as I hope it is I need to start organising my spiel to the minister of finance

popscene
07-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Any more news about this? I'm tossing up between this if it comes to pass or a 12 string as my next build

wokkaboy
07-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Hey Popscene I'd send Ads an email to ask but I'd say he has enough new kits to worry about so you might as well order a 12 string.