PDA

View Full Version : Dumb questions

dapickaxe
27-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Hi Guys
ESB-4 kit arrived yesterday there is about .055 thou" (about 1.5mm) clearance between the neck and body, should i shim this? (i have maple bout offcuts from another project)
I was going to use titebond but why not 2 pack epoxy ? (iv'e used it on broken neck repairs)
can the neck be fitted before stain/ clear coat as it will be easier to hide discrepancies?

Cheers!

Dave

wokkaboy
27-08-2014, 05:53 AM
hey Dave, there are no dumb questions, start a build diary and post some photos of the neck clearance. I'd suggest to glue a shim first and let the glue dry before you glue the neck. I've not used a 2 pack epoxy to glue a neck, if you are confident it will be strong enough then go ahead. I've only used titebond.
As for fitting the neck before staining thats up to you, if you don't mind hanging and working on the bass in one piece then go for it !

ultpanzi
27-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Fitting the neck and staining as a whole has its downsides as its harder to work with (you have a giant single piece rather than two smaller ones) and the neck is maple while the body is probably basswood so they will accept the stain slightly differently so theres no saying if one might be lighter. So I personally would stay with staining them seperately as you may want to stain one more (probably the neck) to make the colours match. No dumb questions, Ive asked my share of dumb questions on a variety of forums from when I first started modding then building guitars. Everyone starts somewhere.

stan
27-08-2014, 10:54 PM
up to you really, but i find it is easier to finish each piece separately as they are easier to handle, mask and deal with