PDA

View Full Version : PB4 - wiring mods?

GlennGP
22-08-2014, 09:18 AM
So, I've got this PB4 I'm team-building with a mate for his birthday. He wants to keep it nice and natural - suits me.

Looks nice, everything's there and all (thanks fellas!).

Question: is there any point putting a fidelity circuit on this? And is there an "Orange Drop" equivalent for a bass? I only ask because I have all the bits sitting around to be able to throw those in but, since the scratch-plate comes pre-wired, it seems a shame to muck about with it if there's no point.

Advice and opinions gratefully accepted!

GGP

Brendan
22-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Glenn - good to see you back - having both a PB and an VP (Vintage P Bass), I have replaced the electronics on both with Orange Drops (use the 0.47's). Another option is to upgrade the pups with some Entwistles or Toneriders - have used the cheaper Toneriders on the VP and they are SWEET. Tonally they have the edge over the stock pups. I did put a fidelity circuit on both of mine from memory, but I'm not hearing a whole heap of difference - more that I figured for about $0.15 I can practice soldering and improve the sound just that little bit, so wins all round.

In terms of what to be gained - if it's your mate's first guitar build - it gives him the feeling of having done everything and will give him a better idea of what's really inside a guitar. Worst comes to worst and it all gets fried, you can easily put the original stuff back in.

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 10:28 PM
I modded an old bass to have a fidelity circuit because for my bassing style, I like to mess with the volumes live to suit the atmosphere. Originally, I had a large issue of losing tone when I did that, but after installing a fidelity crcuit, that problems gone. It really does make a difference and is worth it.

Fretworn
23-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Tim, AJ and Glenn all re-appearing, must be a good month for this messageboard.

GlennGP
24-08-2014, 05:13 AM
Ah, excellent, thank you gents. I shall go right ahead with the mods.