PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable temperature soldering iron/station

ultpanzi
21-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Anybody know where to get a cheap adjustable temperature soldering iron or station?? My old soldering iron had a meltdown on me. Thats what I get for using a Chinese power oriented iron with 240V for too long. I do a lot of electronics work, but Im a student and student pay over in sydney really sucks, so by cheap, ~$30 or less would be great. Any opinions would be great. THanks!!

Fretworn
22-08-2014, 02:06 AM
You get what you pay for. If money is an issue I'd be looking for second hand ones on eBay, you never know.

wokkaboy
22-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Eshays, I'd say a temperature controlled iron will cost much more than $30.
How many years did you get out of your old one ?
The way I look at it if you get 2 or 3 years out of a cheapish iron its still money well spent.
I scored 2 gas powered irons and they are the ducks nuts - no leads and they heat up quickly

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 03:01 AM
Fretworn, I paid $50 HK dollars for my last one, so about $7 AU and it did well till it died after a year and a half, so sometimes you score cos Im hesitant to buy electrical tools second hand, cos theres always a reason why its second hand you know.
Wokka, Ive been interested in a gas powered iron, but then Id have to factor in the cost of gas into my budget, whereas the benefits of living with the parents covers the cost of electricity. Is a gas powered one worth it??

wokkaboy
22-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Hi Eshays,
I had a quick look on ebay and gas powered iron under $30 posted but no idea on the quality.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fromfsb=0&_nkw=gas+powered+soldering+iron&_sop=15

Of course buying the gas can refills are an extra cost and would go further if you kept turning the iron on and off which is a pain.
I'd probably recommend a cheap kit from the big green shed and if last a year or 2 its money well spent.
I just like the gas ones heat up quickly and no power lead to trip over !

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, I checked it out and it seems pretty good but a thermostat is always nice and a thirty minute running time might be a little short cos Im a slow worker with electronics cos I check and double check everything as I work. Ill keep looking around but if nothing else comes up this is the best Ive seen so far.

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 08:18 AM
I took a good look on ebay and I found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yihua-Soldering-Station-YH936C-50W-Lead-Free-Solder-ESD-SAFE-CE-Sydney-1Year-WRT/271514158500?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D20140122130056%26meid%3D236a2397665946589983 95b208cecabf%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D20140122130056 %26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D400623702170
Im not sure if I should be suspicious for the price though...

lawry
22-08-2014, 08:27 AM
OK. Here's some info about soldering. 60/40 tin/lead solder has a melting point of 188 degrees Celsius and so, obviously, you need at least this temperature to melt the solder and have it flow into the joint (your joint needs to be at this temp too). However, if you have too much heat you will vapourise the solder and end up with nothing but crap. This is where a good soldering iron comes in. The two types of temperature controlled irons are either adjustable or set. Pick whichever you want. The problem with uncontrolled irons is that either they get too hot and vapourise the solder or don't get hot enough and the solder doesn't flow. This applies to electric and gas irons. So, whatever you buy, check it can do the job properly. I would suggest a variable control iron, but that's my preference.
End of rant. :-)

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Hi Lawry, I work on electronic circuits for a large variety of things and Im all too familiar with the crumbly vaporized solder crap due to my iron overheating towards the later end of its life. Thats the main reason why I prefer temperature controlled irons, as well as to prevent the horrid melted pcb board coating smell that comes with an iron thats too hot and touches the green pcb board coatings. Controlled irons are also great cos it allows me to use lead free solder as well which is a tad harder to melt. Gas powered irons seem pretty cool though, cos the wire free tool has great appeal to me.

AJ
22-08-2014, 10:02 AM
save your money and get a good quality soldering station. it will last you that long you will be nearly old enough to get Alzheimer's..Or a good scope iron.

kells80aus
22-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I agree with AJ. I have had several of the Jaycar $20 two speed models and they just keep sh!tt!ng themselves after a few months. The one I am using now was about $70. if this one dies I am going to take it back to jaycar and jam it up the little.................... well you get the idea

PK

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AJ and PK, Id really love to do that, however, because Im a student, Id like to believe that my income will rise when I can get a better paying job (probably during uni) which is when Ill buy quality tools. For now, I just need tools that will survive until then. I really believe that forking out for tools is money well spent, but at this stage, I don't have much left after these beautiful (and addictive) kits from Pitbull.

lawry
22-08-2014, 10:38 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from ultpanzi on August 21, 2014, 18:02
Hi Lawry, I work on electronic circuits for a large variety of things and Im all too familiar with the crumbly vaporized solder crap due to my iron overheating towards the later end of its life. Thats the main reason why I prefer temperature controlled irons, as well as to prevent the horrid melted pcb board coating smell that comes with an iron thats too hot and touches the green pcb board coatings. Controlled irons are also great cos it allows me to use lead free solder as well which is a tad harder to melt. Gas powered irons seem pretty cool though, cos the wire free tool has great appeal to me.

You make some very good points here, mate. Also, the eutectic temperature for lead free solder can be 20-40 degrees higher than 'standard' tin/lead solder. And it's also best that you don't mix the two types together when soldering as cross contamination may leave you with a dodgy joint unless you're very careful.

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Tin/lead solder has always been my preference but in today's "safe society" theres always someone who wants you to use lead free solder when working on their circuits. Thats the only time Id use lead free solder so I doubt Id be faced with cross contamination.

Gavin1393
22-08-2014, 12:32 PM
This is my soldering station. Pricey at $400 odd... but has the added advantage of being able to shrink heat-shrink!
The variable temp control comes in handy when you need to crank up the temp to get the pot case hot enough to solder ground wires!
Bought mine from Jaycar.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/f33bt-ECTS1574.jpg

ultpanzi
22-08-2014, 10:10 PM
$400 busts my budget by just a little but that looks like a great tool. A jet lighter turned down low works for my to shrink heat shrink and sanding off a little of the cadmium coating of the back of the pots helps the solder stick better, so I can live without a super super fancy tool.

AJ
23-08-2014, 02:48 AM
If your not worried about the life of an iron, you can pick up some "rather cheap" ones from the $2 shops.. for around $10. they will do a few jobs.

keloooe
23-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Personally I use a 60W iron from Altronics, cost me $15 (i think) and is decent for beginners!

ultpanzi
23-08-2014, 11:49 AM
The life of the iron doesnt matter, but the quality of the joints do, so Id rather stay away from obscenely cheap ones.

leetbrown
26-08-2014, 10:56 AM
HI Guys.

I've been using an older model of one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soldering-Iron-Soldering-Station-S-937D-Temperature-Controlled-BLUE-LED-Cheap-AU-/110749281221 for a couple of years. It is a variable temperature model and is a clone of a better brand, it really works quite well.