PDA

View Full Version : spray paint help

ponch
28-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Hey guys. My new kit is in the mail so it's time I thought about the finish. What I'm aiming for is a gloss black back and sides, and a candy red top with a black burst. Seeing as this whole building thing is addictive I have decided to buy a compressor with a hvlp gun and an air brush. All the paints will be acrylic, the primer, black, silver, but I'm unsure about the candy.
Jarrod used an auto air product for the black burst in his tutorial for a high gloss finish and they also do a range of small candy bottle concentrates that would easily cover the face of a guitar. Was just wondering if the auto air candy is safe to lay over a silver acrylic and then covered with an acrylic clear. There is another company called spray chief that do a similar product as well. Jarrod laid the black burst over a red dye then acrylic cleared that.
Also, all the tds I have read about these paints suggest you use their system start to finish. How much of this is try and how much is that just a sales pitch? I can source the paint online easy enough but reducers, thinners, primers are a bit more tricky. Closest airbrush shop from where I live is hours away so pretty much have access to supercheap motorspray brand stuff and that's it.
Pretty much brand new to all this paint jargon so any help would be unreal.

ultpanzi
28-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Im not much of a paint person but I used to paint models and basic rule of thumb is dont mix paints with different bases. So dont lay an oil base coat and do an acrylic burst over it. Cos that can be quite bad. Also, with 2K paints (that 2 part stuff) sometimes the stuff in one brand's first part reacts with something in that brand's second part, but from another company different chemicals are used. Apart from that, as far as I know, its safe. But if youre unsure, get some scrap wood and test the paint combinations you want to do and if it blows up or spontaneously combusts (surprisingly common) then dont use it on the guitar.

ponch
28-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tip. As far as I can tell on the spray chief site, it says you can use either 2k or acrylic clears over it so would I be right in assuming that acrylic under the candy will be ok? I might ring the supplier. Besides, what's more metal than a baritone 7 string on fire.

ponch
28-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Oh, and it also states that is a pre mix ready to spray water based acrylic.

ponch
28-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Directly from the suppliers mouth. Get me some candy!

Hello,

Yes the Spray Chief candy 200ml will be perfect for that job.

They can be used with acrylic.

Thanks

David Gatt
Managing Director

VG Auto Paints & Tools
11 Amax Ave
Girraween NSW 2145
www.vgautopaints.com.au
Ph: (02) 9636 5411 FAX: (02) 9636 5300 Mob: 0410 491 453

jarrod
30-07-2014, 09:26 AM
I must admit I have never heard of this brand Andrew but to be honest there are so many brands out there now days. I only use Auto Air because I have shit loads of it left from my air brushing day's . Be carful what you put over Acrylic metallic paint. water base works under but not always over. My rule of thumb with water base colours over clear or colour was with 2 pack only. Acrylic clear and colour can be a highly reactive paint . make sure you have given your under paints a long dry time (like two weeks) before mixing water base over. Do let us know how it goes.

ponch
30-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Mate, I was hoping you'd pop your head in here. With the auto air, is that safe to spray over acrylic? I'll be airbrushing the burst like you did as trying with a rattle can was an excercise in futility and a large spray seems too cumbersome for someone as inexperienced as me. Or would you recommend just using the black acrylic paint toned down with a bit of clear so it's semi opaque and a bit more forgiving. I plan to do a few passes on the burst so I don't go too heavy to fast with the colour density.

ponch
30-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Just had a look at the spray chief how to guide, it says it's compatible with all 2k and acrylic bases and clears. I probably got it confused with DNA or wicked paints. Been looking at heaps lately.

jarrod
30-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Sounds cool then, i would flash a layer of clear before the burst when using metallic as metalic is not a smooth paint .

ponch
30-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Should I candy over the burst or vice versa? Im thinking candy over burst so in the right light the burst looks almost black cherry

jarrod
30-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Wow l reckon thats gonna look sensational bro

ponch
31-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks mate. Can I use thinned acrylic in the airbrush ive got one of the external mix ones.

jarrod
31-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah should be ok

ponch
02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Sweet, thanks