PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a fretboard

samuelbrick
25-07-2014, 03:54 AM
So I recently made a start on my JM-1 kit and am pretty excited.

I was wondering what the general consensus was on finishing a fretboard. Is lacquer the best option or do people opt for a tung oil or something in that realm?

Thanks!

wokkaboy
25-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Hi Samuel,
don't use a lacquer on the fretboard, there's a range of oils that the forum like using. You can use Dingotone Dingowax I think is available. Dr Ducks Wax finish. Some use linseed/lemon or tung oil. It usually comes down to personal preference. Anything to give it a slick finish

samuelbrick
25-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Awesome! Thanks for that. I was looking on-line and I couldn't find a definitive answer.

lawry
25-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Hi Samuel.
Yeah, like Wokka said, you don't want to be putting lacquer on the rosewood. I haven't used Dingo Wax but I have got some I'm keen to try.
Traditionally I have been using lemon fret oil and have always been happy with it.
And... I've built a JM-1. Cool guitar. A bit heavier than some of the others and consequently has some pretty good sustain and it's own tone.
Cheers

ultpanzi
25-07-2014, 10:02 AM
If its a rosewood fretboard Ive always used lemon oil, but ive found it feels a little different on ebony or maple. Play around a bit and find what suits you. Although...the dingo wax looks extremely promising for my next build.

dingobass
25-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I may be biased, but go the Dingotone wax:) I have put a lot of time and research into it and have been using it on my builds and it works really well.

The oils feed the timber and the waxes leave a durable surface that lasts without clogging up your strings.

Apply it every time you change your strings and you will always have a super fast neck :)

Gavin1393
25-07-2014, 01:36 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 24, 2014, 20:06

Apply it every time you change your strings and you will always have a super fast neck :)

Just to clarify, if you are a guitarist, apply it every time you change your strings, and;

if you are a bassist, at least once every three months.......for we all know bassists NEVER change their strings!

wokkaboy
26-07-2014, 12:06 AM
I've used Dingowax on a fretboard and it feels (and smells) great, so I recommend it. I applied it to a bass so Gavmiester does that mean I only have to rewax every 12 months ?

lawry
26-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Ah, Gavmeister. You wound me! :(
Why, just last year I changed the strings on my 5 string fretless.

ultpanzi
26-07-2014, 09:10 AM
+1 that bassists dont change their strings. Im a bassist and Ive had the same bass for 5 years, play it live twice a week every week, sweated on the strings, licked them once to prove I can play with my tongue to a friend and still never changed the strings. I think the closest to string changing I ever come close to is the great quarterly tuning where I bump the tuning pegs by half a nanometer.

kells80aus
26-07-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't buy new strings I just build another guitar....... :D

LOL PK

dave.king1
06-09-2014, 10:23 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from ultpanzi on July 25, 2014, 18:10
+1 that bassists dont change their strings. Im a bassist and Ive had the same bass for 5 years, play it live twice a week every week, sweated on the strings, licked them once to prove I can play with my tongue to a friend and still never changed the strings. I think the closest to string changing I ever come close to is the great quarterly tuning where I bump the tuning pegs by half a nanometer.

Amateur effort, I don't remember when I changed the strings on my Yamaha bass but I haven't been in a band since 1981 and it was well before then :P

Back then we were playing six nights a week

Pictured here with my 1976 Shergold Masquarader, still have and play both and they both hold tune like there's no tomorrow
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/suthol/P1171951.jpg

Here's my last band at a club gig and if you suffer guitar envy look away now, the two acoustics are Martin D35 & Martin D28 ( father and son respectively )
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/Kimberly_Country/Georges%20River%20Ripples/Ripples_2.jpg

The young bloke is Warren Derwent ( google is your friend ) who won Starmaker at Tamworth 1992, we as a band got pi55ed and got beaten in the final in 1980

Back on topic.

I am getting the lemon Oil / Dingo Wax on a rosewood board but what about and all maple jobbie, I also have a tele build in progress ( from a different supplier so flogging is acceptable and expected )

The tele will get some build pics elsewhere for interest sake because it is a bit different with vintage Schaller HB pups wired without tone control and a 4 way switch.

dingobass
07-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Post that build in non Pit Bull gear... :)

No tone controls? I love it! Tone controls are redundant in this day with all the graphic eq on board most amps..

Shoota
08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Is the wax you are talking about a silicone based wax?

Gavin1393
08-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Before DB comes on here and murders you, no, the wax is Carnuba Wax based, not silicone.....you don't want to use silicone on a guitar. makes it impossible to repair if it ever needs it. :)

Shoota
09-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Ok. Just checking. All this talk of wax I use kitten creme auto polish on my snooker cue which is English ash. Just wondering if it's the same effect.

Brendan
09-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Dave,
Dingotone would be fine for maple as well, cant see DB coming up with something that's not flexible... if you're talking fretless though, you may want to give some thought to CA'ing the fretboard (especially if it's maple) to stabilise it and reduce damage from the strings.

Brendan
09-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Gav - DB would never murder someone - maybe ensure that their next kit turns up pre-stained with and Amaranthine - Conch Girl reversed burst, but never murder someone...

GeneralKaos
14-12-2014, 08:54 PM
if you are a bassist, at least once every three months.......for we all know bassists NEVER change their strings!

You can change the strings on a bass??!!??? :confused:

stan
15-12-2014, 03:01 PM
I thought bassists kept the strings and replaced the guitars as they wore out...

dingobass
18-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I thought bassists kept the strings and replaced the guitars as they wore out...

Yhep.... Thats pretty well spot on Stan :)

DrNomis_44
10-01-2015, 03:09 AM
I've been using a product called Big Bends Fretboard Juice on all my guitars with a Rosewood fingerboard on them, Big Bends Fretboard Juice is basically a Fretboard conditioner that moisturises Fretboards, you can order it online from Bigbends.com