PDA

View Full Version : DC Junior special attempt

kanelangmaid
21-07-2014, 09:08 AM
It was bound to happen eventually. Pitbull Guitars kit building starts you off and there is always a new guitar build inspiration.

The brain doesn't stop.

Here will be my attempt at a DC Junior special build. Start off with templates, test them on some pine, and then upgrade to nicer wood.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/h373w-image.jpg

Full size Office works $4 a hit.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2lsz0-image.jpg

Hack out some templates with the jigsaw (sanding incomplete).

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/94x30-image.jpg

Hitch up the router with a frame to the work bench. Just missing the mdf table top. Another weekend.

Keep in mind this build may take some time to get together. Will work on it in between my next kit build.

gavinturner
21-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Looks awesome Kane! Is this going to be a set neck or bolt on? Looks set to me? Great to see you starting a scratch build - and with the neck included. Good luck dude!

cheers,
Gav.

kanelangmaid
21-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Picture this one. Like colours just with a pair of P90's.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/bcj90-image.jpg

On no, I am turning into Gav. Soon there will be 5 guitars on the go.

lawry
21-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I like that. Is it black or more of a gunmetal colour?

stan
21-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Looks gunmetal...

Top idea Kane, it will look great with the twin P90s

DanMade
22-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Top stuff Kain. Great to see your making your own neck. For me, the most enjoyable and satisfying part of a build is the neck.
A lot of people think making a neck is some kind of dark art, but it's all pretty straight forward. That said, my first few necks had a bit of a learning curve and were far from perfect, but they helped me refine my process and now I'm comfortable and confident in making them.

Great project, take your time, make some practice parts from scrap and your going to have a great guitar.

wokkaboy
22-07-2014, 01:52 AM
good stuff Kane, look forward to seeing this progress.
Best of luck

kells80aus
22-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Kane, Love the colour of that Charcoal Grey one. as to Gav being the double cut king. ;P Um, Pretty sure I have the Double cut market shown up. I got three on the go. :) and If I can't offload these stupid extras I have it could end up as five. lol add to that the Lute I am building. that's six Bwahhhhhhh.......
Like you I also have the same copy of the paper plans, The one I have is the 58/59 Double cut. I managed to get a Kit made up just for me wich is all mahogany. She is called "Yellow" as she is a as close as I could get to TV Yellow. My son had a look at it as said he hates the colour, but he also hates the Gypsy Carmin Red one as well. The third in this sequence is the "Black" its a '54 styled double cut. as is the Gypsy. All these builds are in a holding pattern at the moment as It is too cold and wet in Melbourne to be sraying acrylic, due to it's tendancy to Fog up in the cold wet weather. If I get desparate I'll head off to one of the panel shops and see if they can spray at least one of them for me...:D
All three of my builds are set necks.

I like what you've done with the router set up. Looks way easier to work with than the Router Bench I have.

Cheers PK

kanelangmaid
22-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes it is gunmetal. I may just use the silver colour I already have and may spray a dark base coat underneath.

@DanMade - ah the neck, the nemesis of every amateur builder. Will be practicing on other wood before trying the real thing. At least the truss rod cavity. Probably go with a hot rod type, that way a straight channel to begin with.

@PK - these plans aren't quite right as the pickguard cuts inside the pickup cavity and the neck tenon is a bit small for my liking so I will be changing these bits. I like the red over the yellow but they have been done and done. Something different for me. Perth is a bit the same for weather, under 20deg no acrylic spraying here either.
The router setup was advice given to me by my wife's grandfather. The ultimate woodsmith with a shed to match with all the toys. A pity he lives in NSW. I just need to add an mdf table top and guard with a vacuum nozzle attached for dust extraction plus adjustable fences.

To all - has anyone had any experience with adding feast and watson prooftint stains to clear acrylic lacquer for translucent finishes? I know they are a spirit based stain but I am sure I have read others doing it with success, I would just like some real trial feedback.

Cheers