PDA

View Full Version : Dingotone

ultpanzi
20-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Have any of you read the dingotone description yet??

"Dingotone Natural Guitar Finish is an all-natural, professional guitar finish inspired by the raw, earthy colours of the great, sunburnt country that is home to it’s namesake fauna, the Dingo.
From the deep, rich reds of the Kimberley and Uluru, to the untamed greens of the Tasmanian wilderness, the vivid blues of Bondi and the gold of Coolangatta, Dingotone Natural Guitar Finish reflects the diverse, natural colours of the Australian landscape.
“Natural” is a philosophy that Dingotone takes very seriously. Unlike other guitar finishes, there are no harmful chemical ingredients; everything in Dingotone Natural Guitar Finish is 100% natural. You will appreciate this as soon as you open a bottle and take in the heady citrus aroma.
Dingotone also believes strongly in the maximising the tonal properties of your guitar’s wood. Whilst “Two Pack” and Polyurethane finishes can look stunning, they can restrict the natural, tonal properties of your guitar. Dingotone’s philosophy is “let the wood speak”. Dingotone Natural Guitar Finish absorbs into the wood and self-levels, leaving your guitar to resonate at it’s natural frequencies."

DB, please explain why you aren't a professional poet and industry leader in the marketing section. This is too beautiful.

dingobass
20-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Actually, thats Adams work...... Pretty good eh?

lawry
20-07-2014, 09:36 AM
You could turn it into a jingle. Words and music by Adam Boyle. Hehehe

adam
20-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Haha, I did always want to be a Copy Writer... at a prestigious Ad Agency, say on Madison Avenue, in the 60's, and be dating someone who looks like Christina Hendricks. Ho hum.

lawry
20-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Wrong era, wrong, country, wrong body, wrong life. But otherwise I think you're in with a chance, Ads!

surfmusic
21-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Hi Guys, looking for more information on DingoTone.
My next build will be a LPA-1(for me,hehe), want to make it sort of special with a nice face. Not sure of the color yet, but thinking Gold.
Maybe Coolangatta will be just what I need, or is it?

Rick.

lunaticthighs
21-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Can't wait for this to be available. Waiting for deliveries of wudtone from the Aus supplier is just painful.

dingobass
21-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey Surfmusic, the Coolangatta Gold is exactly what you need... It is so intense you need sunnies to look at it :)

adam
21-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Hey Lunaticthighs, are you talking about receiving Wudtone from us, or from the "Wudtone Australia" supplier on the Wudtone site?

If you're ordering from us, you should have your order within a few days.

adam
21-07-2014, 09:36 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 20, 2014, 17:58
Hey Surfmusic, the Coolangatta Gold is exactly what you need... It is so intense you need sunnies to look at it :)

Hey DB, I believe this the Coolangatta Gold?

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/duf30-Cooloongatta-Gold-1.jpg

lunaticthighs
21-07-2014, 09:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on July 20, 2014, 18:32
Hey Lunaticthighs, are you talking about receiving Wudtone from us, or from the "Wudtone Australia" supplier on the Wudtone site?

If you're ordering from us, you should have your order within a few days.
Nah it's not you guys. All stuff I have ordered from you came super fast. Unfortunately you didn't have a few colours in stock that I wanted so had to deal with Wudtone Australia doh. Will send off another please explain where my stuff is again tonight.
Thus the looking forward to the Dingotone post.

stan
21-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Hurry up with the Dingotone - I have just the project - my '57 Harmony!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/louisruby/Guitar/Harmony%20Jazz%20project/016.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/louisruby/media/Guitar/Harmony%20Jazz%20project/016.jpg.html)

ultpanzi
21-07-2014, 10:04 PM
That Coolangatta Gold looks amazing. Cant wait for Dingotone to be released.

dingobass
22-07-2014, 09:56 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on July 20, 2014, 18:36

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 20, 2014, 17:58

Hey DB, I believe this the Coolangatta Gold?

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/duf30-Cooloongatta-Gold-1.jpg

Sure is. I will post a pic tomorrow of the Coolangatta on a Quilted Maple top just so folks can see how intense it can be.

wokkaboy
23-07-2014, 01:49 AM
think I've seen that LP in the flesh and you did need sunnies to view it. What axe has quilted maple DB ? would love to see some PBG kits with quilted maple caps !

rockmof
23-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi Guys, First let me say that the "O" & the "I" are too close on the keyboard.
It's me "Rockmof" formally "Surfmusic" formally "Rickmo". Thanks, Adam for setting that right.

Now that the introductions are through, thanks, Dingo & Adam for the info on DingoTone, after I ordered it I was looking at a gold top Gibson, I want to see the grain , and it's looking good. (hope mine will turn out that good)

Rockmof.

Ps any thoughts on the expected delivery?

ric

Pps. hey my pic is here WOW, I wonder hoe that happened?

ric

dingobass
24-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Here is a pic of the Coolangatta Gold on a Flamed/ Quilted Maple top....
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/9069l-image.jpg

wokkaboy
24-07-2014, 02:17 AM
wow DB that looks frickin awesome, is this one of the fairly new PBG models, what is it ?

DanMade
24-07-2014, 02:28 AM
That looks similar to a 339. A smaller 335.

And that CG looks amazing. I can see some great burst's being done with this.

Gavin1393
24-07-2014, 03:04 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 23, 2014, 10:43
Here is a pic of the Coolangatta Gold on a Flamed/ Quilted Maple top....
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/9069l-image.jpg

Wokka, better fetch the ladder, DB's stuck another guitar body to his ceiling!

wokkaboy
24-07-2014, 03:13 AM
haha good one Gavmiester, think you're right there, some of his pic previews are upside down - they come up the right way when you click on them.
It's not the first time we've had to rescue DB with a ladder - last time he got stuck on his neighbors roof trying to retrieve his router bit ! haha

dingobass
24-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Dont know why that happens... They are the right way up on the ipad...

Gavin1393
24-07-2014, 07:16 AM
I am reliably informed that this is a pic of DB exercising in his yard.....I think it explains the I-pad issue....
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/06rvl-DB-Standing-Upside-Down.jpg

The six pack was photo-shopped in...

wokkaboy
24-07-2014, 07:28 AM
hahahaha nice work Gavmeister, you wonder why DB is staining your HB-4 in conch girl ! haha

rockmof
24-07-2014, 09:31 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on July 23, 2014, 11:28
That looks similar to a 339. A smaller 335.

And that CG looks amazing. I can see some great burst's being done with this.

No, an ES Les Paul, only seen them the other day on the Gibson site.
They look very cool indeed.

Will this be a "standard" kit soon?

Rick.

Surya sumantara
29-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi, could you tell us what's in the dingobass finish? If it's a wax what level of protection will it provide? I've just finished a tele with Tru Oil with maple neck done in danish oil and wipe-on poly. Will it have a similar feel to that?

ultpanzi
29-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Another question is when will the clear coats be released?? I cant be the only one dying to get my hands on some.

Gavin1393
29-07-2014, 03:09 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from ultpanzi on July 28, 2014, 19:56
Another question is when will the clear coats be released?? I cant be the only one dying to get my hands on some.

In the queue behind me Eshays ;)

Gavin1393
29-07-2014, 03:12 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Surya sumantara on July 28, 2014, 12:49
Hi, could you tell us what's in the dingobass finish? If it's a wax what level of protection will it provide? I've just finished a tele with Tru Oil with maple neck done in danish oil and wipe-on poly. Will it have a similar feel to that?

Whilst the ingredients are Intellectual property known only by the select few, I am sure DB will confirm that there is indeed a well known wax component to the finish. Having seen the finish myself, I can also confirm that it is very glossy, gives good depth and at the same time is designed to give your guitar excellent protection.

Surya sumantara
29-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Cheers!

dingobass
29-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Not long now...
The countdown has begun and Dingotone will be ready for release towards the end of August.

And yes, the clear finish will be available.

ponch
30-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Giddy up! Do you have any pics of colours yet?

pablopepper
30-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Oh snap! Dead keen to see some samples.

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Hey,

First build, any advice on dingo staining the body and neck all the same just using the body stain? To maintain continuity over the whole guitar what's the best way to attack it... Is there a specific order, or do you have to lay down each coat to every surface at once? I'm planning to stain and intensify everything, the body and neck final coat separate. It's an es-1g.
Appreciate any advice,

Sam.

wokkaboy
16-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Hi Sam,
sure you can stain the neck with the body coat but generally the maple necks are a tighter grain and won't be quite as dark as the body, but may just need a couple more coats than the body. Being a set neck you can't screw a hanger into the body so you can't support the body in a vice.
Are you planning to stain the cap and body sides/back the same colour ?
What I do is cut out a hanger from a scrap piece of pine, to the shape of the neck pup and jam two wedges into the bottom of the neck pup route and one on the heel side of the hanger where the neck pocket is. This is good for hanging the body only. You can sort of move the body around on a clean rag enough to get access to most parts of the body so you should be able to balance it on the bottom edge then wipe the bottom while holding the hanger then hang to cure for about 4 days. Hope this makes sense

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Makes sense now thanks man. Yeah i was gonna do the cap and sides/back, any idea how that looks? if not suggestions... i'm going with outback sunset.

wokkaboy
16-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Hey Sam,
I built an ES over 18 months ago but I went for a red cap and mahogany back/sides to give it a contrast but up to you. Outback sunset is a nice orange colour so sure it will look good all over neck/body.
If you were feeling adventurous you could do a burst on the cap, with maybe karajini red and do the back/sides/neck with the red would look cool but totally up to you.
There should be enough stain to do the whole axe in orange if you are worried about that.
These pics will give you an idea of the hanger I made. Worth putting a thin wedge piece bottom of neck pup cavity and behind the hanger in the neck pocket will keep it tight
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/utitm-2013-03-19-22.32.53.jpg
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/qu5vc-2013-02-21-23.14.29.jpg

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks Wokka, very helpful.
I was originally thinking of a darker side/back colour but yeah i reckon it'd look good all over. Been thinking about bursts (funny you mention it), but maybe on the next build! Only other concern is the binding... read a bit on the forums, some saying to 0000 steel wool it carefully between coats - What do you do?

wokkaboy
16-10-2014, 07:17 AM
no worries Sam,
I'd invest in some thin painters tape and tape off the binding. It's a heap of work to steel wool off the stain and some people have made custom made scrapers with a blade, a bolt and a piece of wood but I think least amount of work is to tape it off, or if the tape is wider get a blade and cut off the part that protudes above the body. Its worth taking your time and getting the tape as close to the binding edge as possible

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Cool i thought the tape was the better option,

Thanks again mate.

dingobass
16-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Woks is right on the money with the tape idea...
it seems I have made Dingotone to good in the stain department :)

On the neck you should get really good coverage with two or three coats.
You wont need to use the intensifying coat though, best to get a bottle of the neck final coat and just apply one or two coats.

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Hey wokka, you got me thinking... the mahogany sides and back looks great, is there a particular brand of stain I should go for? Or just any generic mahogany wood stain.

wokkaboy
16-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Hey Sam, I used wudtone mahogany stain at the time, you could check with DingoBass to see if he has any left. Otherwise you could check out the Feast Watson prooftint range would have a similar colour, jarrah is a bit darker, oak or old baltic stains.

sam.grossmann
16-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks woks!