PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions about Loop Pedal and Amp

ihasmario
17-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I got my first guitar amp, which means it is also my first experience with an "FX" loop. Usually the way I run things, I go straight into my loop pedal (Boss RC300), and then into my inputs. I live loop a bit, but it's usually with something that is more of a PA kind of thing.

However, I was wondering which is the correct signal chain with a guitar amp...

Guitar -> Loop Pedal -> Amp
Guitar -> Amp Preamp Stage -> Loop Pedal (via FX loop) -> Amp

The pedal also has two mono inputs. One is labeled instrument (I assume it is switchable Hi-Z if only one plug is occupied), and the other is just labeled left. Which would you use?

Thanks.

bargeloobs
17-07-2014, 07:47 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from ihasmario on July 16, 2014, 15:44

The pedal also has two mono inputs. One is labeled instrument (I assume it is switchable Hi-Z if only one plug is occupied), and the other is just labeled left. Which would you use?

Thanks.

Hey man, if the pedal you're referring to is the RC300, the 2 inputs are just a stereo option. e.g guitar/stereo chorus/rc300. Otherwise your guitar should just go in the left jack. Also not sure what you mean about "switchable Hi-Z".

lunaticthighs
17-07-2014, 07:57 AM
On the loop side. It really depends on if you want the colour of your preamp before the fx chain or after. It comes down to a sound preference really try them both and see. The only other consideration is the practicality side. On my rig I run a wireless system so it's easier to run my fx through the amp loop but if I am using leads I tend to run between guitar and amp.

ihasmario
17-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys.

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from bargeloobs on July 16, 2014, 16:47
Hey man, if the pedal you're referring to is the RC300, the 2 inputs are just a stereo option. e.g guitar/stereo chorus/rc300. Otherwise your guitar should just go in the left jack. Also not sure what you mean about "switchable Hi-Z".

Hey Barge, the model I have (which is an RC300), the right input is labelled INST and the left is labelled Mono. I use it in stereo for lots of things, but I am just assuming that they have balanced jacks which switch an alternate circuit if only one is plugged in rather than them being balanced jacks.

I could be getting confused since I am doing this from memory. Usually most gear I have the Left is the only channel you use when mono but I am pretty sure it's the right that is labelled "INST".

Kind of like active electronics how they turn on when the jack is in. I figure something like that happens.

No worries though

bargeloobs
17-07-2014, 09:01 AM
but I am just assuming that they have balanced jacks which switch an alternate circuit if only one is plugged in rather than them being balanced jacks.

I'd tend to agree with this. I was just looking at a few RC300 back panels and none of them were labelled the way yours is (not saying it's not or anything). Talk about confusing calling one "INST" and one "MONO"

ihasmario
18-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I got it up and running and hot dog, the tone suck. Huge difference (bad) between it and just going straight in. I keep reading about using buffers or true bypass to fix it. How does that kind of thing work? I don't get it.

lawry
19-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Hey man. First of all, 'true bypass' is just a switch. That means that in effect you are connecting your input directly to the output (like a piece of wire). A buffered bypass means that there are some electronics in the bypass circuit. A buffer is a circuit that 'ideally' puts out what you put in. That is, it buffers it. However, in reality there is no such thing as an ideal buffer. Generally they roll off some of the top end, not intentionally, but it can be enough to take the sparkle out of you signal.

ihasmario
19-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Thanks Lawry.

I think I am going to open up the amp and take a check - apparently during some parts of manufacture there was a problem with the schematic which caused the wrong capacitor capacity to be put onto the effects loop. Might get an amp tech to take a look for me though because I can't say I am super confident dealing with the kinds of watts that go into it.

wokkaboy
19-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Chris, I'd take it to an amp tech if there is a problem with the sound. Leave high voltages to the experts. Are you not happy with the sound of guitar->effects->amp ie not going through the effects loop?