PDA

View Full Version : TL-1TH cant get wiring right!

jockster
17-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just wired up my TL-1TH (Wilkinson pickups), after agonising as to whether the diagram is configured looking from above or below the scratchplate. However I think I've wired it both ways now, and can't seem to get any sound from the pickups. I've attached a couple of photos, can anyone see where I've gone wrong? The capacitor is between the centre tab and casing of the tone pot.

Cheers, Jim.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/65089-IMAG0447.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tm103-IMAG0453.jpg

lunaticthighs
17-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Maybe just the pic orientation but I can only see the shield wires connected to the input socket. You have got a connection on the tip too haven't you?

dingobass
17-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Yhep.. Thats the prob.
You need to wire the hot from the volume to the tip.... But i cant see a tip lug there so it looks like you have a faulty output.
Can you take a clear photo of the output? Cause if it is a dud i will send you a replacement.

bargeloobs
17-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah agreed that "hot" purple wire looks like it's joined to the earth on the input jack, could be a camera trick though:P

jockster
17-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Yes, it's a bad pic in that part, but the hot wire is definitely to the tip, and the earth to the outer...

jockster
17-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Yes, it's a bad pic in that part, but the hot wire is definitely to the tip, and the earth to the outer...

jockster
17-07-2014, 08:59 AM
A close up....
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/i8q07-IMAG0460.jpg

dingobass
17-07-2014, 09:28 AM
The switch doesn’t appear to be earthed..
run a wire from the hole in the case back to the tone or volume pot.
an easy way is to apply a strip of copper shielding tape to cover the area of the pots and switch.

WeirdBits
17-07-2014, 09:30 AM
From the pics it appears everything is pretty much in the right place as far as what connects to what. Are the ends of the red and white series link pickup wires soldered together and just covered with the white tape, or have they been connected to something else that we can't see? Does the blue wire on the switch have a solid connection? As a test you can use a length of wire to connect from either pickup lug on the switch to the blue wire lug on the volume pot, tap the relevant pickup's poles with a screwdriver to see if you get a signal.

jockster
17-07-2014, 10:06 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 16, 2014, 18:28
The switch doesn’t appear to be earthed..
run a wire from the hole in the case back to the tone or volume pot.
an easy way is to apply a strip of copper shielding tape to cover the area of the pots and switch.
Do you mean the metal casing of the switch?

lawry
17-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm with Scott. Looks like it's all correct so it's a bit weird why there's no output. Follow Scott's hints and let us know.

jockster
17-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I think I may have found the problem... if I move the wire on the centre pole of the volume pot VERY slightly, I get a signal, although the soldered connection seems good... a faulty pot perhaps? Can anyone tell me the resistance of that pot, and I can buy another one to try? BTW I really appreciate the quick responses!

wokkaboy
17-07-2014, 10:58 AM
try resoldering the wire on the centre pole of the volume, by the sounds its not making a clean connection if you are getting a signal when you move the wire.

WeirdBits
17-07-2014, 11:00 AM
It could just be a dry joint, so try resoldering the connection on that cemtre lug first. If that still doesn't fix it then use a wire to short the centre lug with the left (blue wire) lug and see if that gives you full signal, if it does then you'll know it's the pot itself at fault. It should be a 500KA (log/audio taper) pot.

dingobass
17-07-2014, 11:34 AM
OK... so scratch my previous mutterings....

No need for you to buy a pot, if it is faulty we will replace it for free.

Just shoot me an email to dingobass@pitbullguitars.com with your address and I will send one out to you :)

jockster
17-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks, I'll try re-soldering the connections this morning, if no good I'll email Dingobass... much appreciated

Jim

wokkaboy
17-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Jock if the resoldering of the centre volume lug doesn't help then do the test that Weirdbits suggested above posted July 16th 20:00. There's a chance another solder join may not be making a good connection and may not be a faulty pot.
Best of luck, there's nothing worse trying to diagnose a wiring problem

jockster
18-07-2014, 06:15 PM
I think the problem's solved people, not sure if the pot was faulty but I've resoldered all the terminals, cleaned and lubricated the pots and all seems to be good! Thanks again for the input, I'll post some pics soon Cheers Jim

lawry
19-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Excellent news Jim. Dry joints are the insidious devils of wiring. Sometimes everything looks OK but inside there's evil lurking. The main thing with soldering is to make sure you get enough heat onto the joint and that the solder flows. There are shitloads of youtube videos on good soldering technique and I would encourage anyone who doesn't do a lot of it to check them out.
I'm glad all is up and running for you.