PDA

View Full Version : New to guitar building

Bob
03-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Purchased my first kit an SV-1. It arrived on Tuesday and at the moment it is on kitchen table in a trial setup to see if all parts are there and guess what it's all there. Not decided yet what style finish I'm going to use. First of I was going to do a swirl paint with magic marble paint but can't find it here in Aus. Any tips

stan
03-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Welcome Bob, ejoy the build, and dont forget to do a build thread, we love watching each others guitars come to life

kells80aus
03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
G'Day Bob.
style and finish, you just follow your heart. Guitar building whether it is a Kit or a Scratch build is an expression of you. Yes you can listen to the people on this forum, they will tell you what is in their heart, but to be true to yourself do what you wnat to do. Don't be affraid to step ourside the box and build something special that fullfils your thoughts and feelings.

Go for it.

:D

Cheers PK.

Brendan
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Welcome along Bob, idea sounds interesting - not at all sure where to get that paint from though... Whatever happens though - enjoy the process!

Fretworn
04-07-2014, 01:08 AM
Welcome Bob. There are other ways to get the swirl effect. Go through the recent build diaries as we have had someone achieve that recently. I can't remember the name of the guitar right now though.

pablopepper
04-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Hi Bob, I think Fretworn is talking about this one http://www.pitbullguitars.com/community/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1152. Indeed swirl is achievable with regular enamel paints, warm water and borax.

Gavin1393
04-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Welcome on board Bob, looking forward to seeing this one progress in the build diaries and then hopefully to see it entered in GOTM!

kells80aus
04-07-2014, 03:11 AM
Pablo, is that the process where you use a bucket of water and tip paint onto the top of the water where it floats and you just stir it up a abit then dip the guitar in? there are heaps of Youtube vids of peopl doing this process.

PK

pablopepper
04-07-2014, 03:56 AM
That's the one PK. Looks easy, I bet it's not though. :)

kells80aus
04-07-2014, 04:13 AM
AFAIAC if it fails it's a mighty lot of sanding to redo it.

:)
PK

stan
04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
it's not that hard to do, the tricky thing is you cant really control the swirl, so the end result is a bit of a lottery...

Would be great to see another done here though, enjoy

wokkaboy
04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Hi Bob, welcome and best of luck with the build. If you have never done a swirl technique I'd recommend you practice first, it is quite an art and everything has to be right like tempurature, technique and the mix of paint. Look forward to seeing the SV progress, start a build diary and there's plenty of help on the forum

Brendan
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
In terms of dipping, I think the message that I've seen on the forum is that cardboard boxes and tape aren't enough... you need something stronger. All the best though!

Fretworn
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
I remembered which guitar it was...
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/community/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1152