PDA

View Full Version : "How did they get that tone" Thread

ihasmario
02-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I don't know if it's just me since I don't really own any guitar gear nor do I really play guitar... But how about a thread where we post an interesting tone and get advice on how to get something close to it? Similar to lotw I guess, maybe tone of the week?...

First up is something that I wouldn't usually want to usually sound like. But at the same time I want to give something like it a crack and have no idea. Pretty neat song too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDK2lkK5Aw

How do did they get that really trebley, grating guitar sound, when it doesn't sound too distorted? What kind of effects do that, or do you reckon its just a crazy eq? Around 0:57 and in the verses out the right side of the mix.

pablopepper
02-07-2014, 12:56 AM
I like this idea. I am fascinated by signal chain, one of the reasons I am so heavily into the Rig Rundown vids that Premier Guitar do.

Of course, every part of the chain goes to making up the tone (and everyone has differing opinions on what's best where etc.) and even with the same gear you might not be able to get the exact sound. That said, to me, it sounds like single coil pickups going into an overdrive pedal with the gain just past the breaking up point and eq'ed heavily to the treble side of things. There might be some sort of modulation going on, maybe a chorus or vibrato, very lightly.

Cool track though.

DanMade
02-07-2014, 02:59 AM
Cool idea.

I think Pablo is pretty close, sounds a lot like a uni vibe on the chorus setting. Some mild delay too.

ihasmario
06-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Classic Radiohead tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDSdDoD4Sg

What kind of pedal gets this kind of tone; overdrive or fuzz? On the album they were clipping a mixing desk and live I think Thom uses an Expandoria which I think is an OD.

I've seen people get similar tones using a JHS Colourbox but it's both expensive and supports some weird cult that also steals pedal designs

Can someone help me out? Doesn't need to be exact... the more versatile the pedal the better. Anyone got a recommendation if I want to get both this sound and the one from Moonshake in one pedal? lol

GeneralKaos
06-06-2015, 06:11 PM
To quote Eric Clapton: "The tone is in your trousers." :D
Everyone sounds different, and thats the fun!!

keloooe
06-06-2015, 06:22 PM
To quote myself: "Tone is something that can be influenced by many, but it is all in your hands."
Now that I read it again, it has a different meaning to what I meant. I first meant that your tone is all in what the player wants, but now also means that the majority of your tone actually does come from your playing style!

Nickosaurus
06-06-2015, 08:06 PM
It is all in the hands but you cant get pantera with single coils straight into a twin reverb ;)

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 08:24 PM
It is all in the hands but you cant get pantera with single coils straight into a twin reverb ;)

Somehow I fail to see a problem with that logic :) but the twin will make your ears bleed if you go hard enough at it

Do a search on YouTube for Bill Kirchen playing Hotrod Lincoln runs for about 10 minutes and the sounds he gets out of an old Tele are amazing ( doesn't drop tune so that rules out some of the recent heavy stuff )

keloooe
07-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I can't see the problem with that either now..... But then again there are a *few* exceptions..... I first came up with that quote of mine back in December 2013, I know a guy who is mates with Chris Wolstenholme's tech (Chris is Muse's bassist). Got to play Matt Bellamy's rig and realised how much I DON'T sound like him even with the exact same gear he uses!

pablopepper
07-06-2015, 08:21 AM
According to the King of Gear website, it's a Crowther Hotcake.

http://thekingofgear.com/thom

I can get a similar over saturated feel with a fuzz pedal (Tall Font Russian), tone knob at about 3 and played with mostly upstrokes. :)

ihasmario
07-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks pabs. The hotcake seems like a pretty versatile pedal and lots of people rave about it with the amps I have.

There's a guy down here with a TFR that I was looking at, but it look like a lot of its sound is past the point I am interested in for most of my playing, which is clean/clean + a little dirt.

The hotcake is quite a pricey pedal - but a lot cheaper than others out there. I might even DIY one, because I think the circuit is out there...

:)