PDA

View Full Version : colour options for my forthcoming ES1 build

danluland@dodo.com.au
25-06-2014, 11:57 PM
So I'm thinking cherry flamenco with gold highlights and a gloss top coat for the body but what about the neck?

The traditionalist in me wants the neck to be cherry too, but with the difference in wood types I guess the body and neck could end up looking quite different - has anyone tried this?

If I go with a standard amber or yellow neck finish from wudtone is it feasible to use the flamenco cherry on the face of the headstock?

Cheers,

Dan

gavinturner
26-06-2014, 12:19 AM
hi Dan,

Both the neck and the veneer are maple so the colour may not be as different as you imagine.

In terms of doing the headstock face a different colour this is relatively straightforward. I would do the neck first, then give the headstock face a light sand to remove anything that might have overlapped. Then I would mask off around the edge of the headstock (just to be safe) and then carefully apply the new colour to the headstock. I did this without issue on my LPJnr build and it turned out great.

cheers,
Gav.

danluland@dodo.com.au
26-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Thanks Gav,

Do you think there would be enough paint in one pack of flamenco cherry to do the ES1 body and neck?

wokkaboy
26-06-2014, 05:25 AM
Hey Dan, either option will look good ie yellow/amber neck or CF all over.
I'd try and see how you go with one CF kit, last time I ordered it, it came with a deep coat and 2 colour coats, so there should be enough to do the whole axe including neck in CF I'd say.
Be careful the flame maple caps are very thin, don't over sand the cap.

danluland@dodo.com.au
27-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll start on the body for now and see how I go.

(looking out the window, waiting for postie...)