PDA

View Full Version : new member scott

scott2476
19-06-2014, 01:54 AM
hey, just became a member after a while of trying to decide on my first build. I'm gonna start with a JR1DC. But am planning on a humbucker instead of the p90 p/up. Confused on how to finish it. Was thinking of making it like a rat rod yesterday but now I wanna tobacco burst it. Tomorrow will prob want it metallic silver! How do u guys pick a finish and stick to it. I havent even ordered it yet and I can't stop thinking about options. It's wicked that you guys have this site, and love all the contributions.

love all the pics of finished guitars. Can't wait to get started.

Nice one.

pablopepper
19-06-2014, 02:03 AM
I have heaps of trouble choosing finishes. I have had my RC4 for almost three weeks now, still no idea. Let it stew for a while, look up pics of DC Jnrs and see what you like. Be aware, you will probably have to modify the pickup rout to get a humbucker in there, or find a soapbar sized one (I have been looking for ages, they exist but they're not common or cheap).

Welcome! Have fun, ask questions, take your time.

gavinturner
19-06-2014, 02:22 AM
Welcome Scott. The JRDC is a great kit! I love mine and can't put it down. It's hard to pick just one finish with so many cool ones out there. The best way is to admit to yourself that this wont be the last guitar you build and that there will be plenty of more chances to try another finish.

Have fun with your build. Start a build diary so we can all share the journey with you!

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
19-06-2014, 02:40 AM
Welcome Scott. Check the colours of the other finished guitars in the gallery section and see how they worked with basswood. In the end you just go with it, you also have to be aware that use, or even discussion, of certain finishes can get you sent to the naughty room.

wokkaboy
19-06-2014, 02:57 AM
welcome Scott. Great kit to start with the junior. As others suggested check out the gallery and google images to get ideas of finishes.
As previously warned you will want to build more than one axe so if there's more than one finish you want try it on the next build !
Best of luck and look forward to the build diary !

scott2476
19-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement and the tips. Even more pumped to get started.

Brendan
19-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Scott welcome along - for me picking finishes is a two way process - one is the guitar picks the finish itself - some lean to a specific look or another. Other times, I work on something I think will look good then change my mind 20 odd times before committing and being surprisingly happy with the outcome. Sometimes it'll be something you weren't expecting that comes out trumps - I built a jazz bass and picked up a blue mirror pickguard on spec (hoping to change it to silver somehow in reality). Once I put it on the guitar it suited it better than the original planned silver...

lawry
19-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the madhouse, Scott. I haven't built a DC yet but my granddaughter 'says' she wants one. But she can't play guitar yet. If she does start and stick with it I'll build her one. Consequently I tend to watch DC builds very closely and yours will be no exception. Also, you can buy humbuckers in a P90 size, so you shouldn't have to modify the cavity (I think DiMarzio do one). Anyway, have fun and post often.
Cheers

kells80aus
20-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Hi Scott,
welcome to the group.
I am currently building three Double Cuts.
two were planned one was not. I am looking at doing one with a mini humbucker
The down side of this is the P90 routes are just a touch big to allow enough meat on the body to screw the pick up surround.

Your idea of a full size humbucker has merrit. but would require re-routing the pickup hole.
Keep us up to date with how you go.

Cheers PK