PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Wiring Question - Lps and 335s

gavinturner
15-06-2014, 01:28 AM
hi guys,

OK, i did a year of circuit theory at uni (fat lot of good it did) and I think I know the answer to this, but I would like some confirmation. It's probably a stupid question but I will ask it anyway.

Q: "Is there a difference electrically and tonally with a guitar circuit if the series capacitance+resistance of the tone circuit is reversed to reistance+capacitance?"

So for instance are these two wiring diagrams electrically equivalent:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/mziqd-circuit1.png

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2gy0c-circuit2.png

The only thing that's different is the position of the capacitor with respect to the variable resistance.
Any help greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Gav.

djdubya
15-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi Gav,

You're right, these two circuits are electrically equivalent. The second drawing is probably the easiest way to lay the wiring out in practice since the caps with their solid leads will be on the back of the pots. That leaves the wiring between pots flexible and therefore easier to handle especially when loading it through the effing f-holes on a 335!

Is this for that tasty looking bass you have in the works?

Cheers,

Dennis.

gavinturner
15-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks Dennis!

I really appreciate you confirming this for me. Yeah it's for the 335 bass. I've wired up two other 335s using the first circuit in the past and it's a right royal pain in the arse to try and get those capacitors "between" the pots. Can't believe I didnt think of this simple fix earlier.

Thanks again dude! Now I can get the soldering finished and start wrestling with my rubber tubes.. :P

cheers,
Gav.

djdubya
15-06-2014, 10:23 AM
No worries mate!

I've been lurking a bit lately hoping to maybe order an ES-1G soon. Your builds have been on my radar and the burst on your ESB among some other recent builds has me thinking of a burst finish instead of a solid colour.

What were you studying at uni that covered circuit theory? I'm in the avionics trade and started with an electronics apprenticeship. Having spent a few years working in aircraft radios and instruments I'm not too worried about squeezing wiring into a 335 body. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that should help. Stuffing up a nice piece of flamed maple however is another thing...

Cheers,

Dennis.

gavinturner
15-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Hi Dennis,

Go the ES - you wont regret it! I love hollow and semi-hollow guitar builds over all others. I did a computer engineering degree initially, hence the circuit theory. Never could quite get my head around the finer points. After I graduated went on to computer science instead. A lot fewer wires ;).

The bass was actually only my second hand-rubbed burst attampt. Once you are used to applying dye with a rag getting a reasonable burst really isn't that difficult. You could easily do a couple of practice runs on cheap wood first to get your technique down.

cheers,
Gav.

x.yamaha
01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Pitbull Gurus

Building an Lp1 and up to wiring stage. Two different pots supplied. A500k and B500k. Internet a bit confusing which type to use for volume and other for tone. Internet seems to be saying no big deal which one you use. Does capacitor have to be wired on tone pot?

Thanks

Peter

dingobass
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi Pete,
A for volume and B for tone.
The cap goes on the tone pot.

Check out Brendan’s excellent wiring diagram to see how it all goes together.

Brendan
01-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Peter,
DB's right, but different people will wire a capacitor differently, I find the easiest is between one of the lugs of the tone pot and the shell of the tone pot to ground it out. If you have any issues with the wiring diagrams, drop us a line on the forum - I'm usually around most nights. If I miss a post, drop me a line at Brendan@pitbullguitars.com. Only reason I suggest the forum first is that that way you'll get access to a couple of wiring geniusses (genii?) that hovver around as well :) .