PDA

View Full Version : Shielding

Tool Box
11-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi all
I know this topic has been done to death but I am struggling to find answers to my questions.
1. Do I need to shield the pickup cavities on a Les Paul Kit with the Humbuckers supplied by PitBull.
2. I have read about difficulty in shielding cable cavities, if this is the case would it not be worth wiring using shielded wires, the quantity required is small so I don't think it will be expensive.
Regards
Brian :P

DanMade
11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Hi Brian, if you wish to make your shielding job as effective as possible you will want to shield inside the pickup cavity's,
The wire channels aren't to difficult, just fiddly, give it a go.

Shielding can be frustrating the first few times, it just takes some patience and a few deep breaths. Cutting pieces to size and dry fitting them first is the way to go. And on the bigger pieces don't peel the sticky backing off the whole piece, peel it back a little so you can position it correctly. Then peel back the rest as your pushing down and smoothing out.

Hope this helps.

ultpanzi
11-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Personally I dont like shielding humbucker cavities cos that gives about 10% more mids and that kinda screws up my tone. For wire cavities, Id use shielded wire simply cos Im lazy and then Id shield control cavities and it works like a charm for me.

dingobass
11-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Im with Ulti...
I used to shield pup cavities but now days i dont bother as most pups are wax potted and shielded anyways..
For long cable runs i use shielded cables as it is the cabling that will give rise to most RF interference.

In short, shield your control cavity and cavity cover, making sure you have contact between them.
Also, a dab of solder on the joins will ensure good conductivity.

The other great thing about shielding the control is you wont need to run an earth wire between the pots as they will earth out on the shielding :)

And you can get your shielding tape and cabling from us here at Pit Bull for a very reasonable price..

Tool Box
12-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks Guys, I will shield the control cavity and use shielded wire from the 3 way switch.
Regards
Brian

pedro
24-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Can you please send me some copper backed shielding tape for my ST-1

Im with Ulti...
I used to shield pup cavities but now days i dont bother as most pups are wax potted and shielded anyways..
For long cable runs i use shielded cables as it is the cabling that will give rise to most RF interference.

In short, shield your control cavity and cavity cover, making sure you have contact between them.
Also, a dab of solder on the joins will ensure good conductivity.

The other great thing about shielding the control is you wont need to run an earth wire between the pots as they will earth out on the shielding :)

And you can get your shielding tape and cabling from us here at Pit Bull for a very reasonable price..

Brendan
24-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Pedro - copper shielding tape is available here: http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/luthier/pit-bull-guitars-shielding-kit-quality-copper-shielding-tape/

Gavin1393
25-12-2014, 06:04 AM

...and once you have figured out how much time and effort you save NOT having to struggle to get the solder to 'stick' to the post or where the 'ground' is causing untold hum, you will ALWAYS follow this advice from DB.