PDA

View Full Version : how to hang a body for painting

ponch
11-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if you had any tips to hang a set neck body for painting. Cheers

bargeloobs
11-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Hey man, had similar question on my last build and Brendan suggested a clamp using the pup holes to grab onto which actually worked beautifully. I kinda ran with that suggestion and rigged up a hook attached to some vice grips so I could turn the body as I painted and could remove the clamped body from the hook really easily.
NOTE: this is only really effective for the sides/back but the fronts easy enough to do laying down or leaning anyway.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/community/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1165.4

ponch
11-06-2014, 02:22 AM
Awesome man thanks, yeah I read your thread extensively. Beautiful build btw. The jb/59 combo rocks hey. I saw on wokkas lp build he used a piece of wood cut out to fill the neck hb hole, kind of like a t piece. I live in the middle of nowhere rural qld so will have to see if they have any planks that would suit. Any tips on making one? I'm a chef, not a luthier. I can cut the shit out of veggies but with wood I'd lose a finger haha.

ultpanzi
11-06-2014, 03:01 AM
Ive seen it done by drilling a screw into the control cavity (somewhere where it doesnt pop out and leave marks) then use a strong cord like good quality fishing line and tie it to the screw and pop it out the output jack hole and then add a hook and you have an easily removeable hanging hook for it. That way you can spray the neck attached already if you want a constant colour or a smooth top coat joint, etc. It makes more sense for a neck thru but it should be the same for set necks.

bargeloobs
11-06-2014, 03:05 AM
I'd be inclined to have a crack a Wokka's method, that way you can get right round the whole body in one hit.
I couldn't see it being too tricky, I'd just find a bit of wood the same width as the pup cavity then rip down either side so it fits into the neck pocket. I think your fingers will be okay, you chefs are pretty smart blokes!

P.S Yeah man those SD's sound wicked alright, well pleased!

ponch
11-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Awesome thanks for the tips guys. Now just have to wait for the kit to arrive. Damn queens birthday.

wokkaboy
11-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Andrew,
here's some pics of my set neck hanging method. Cheapest option is get a piece of pine say minimum 300mm long by about 15-20mm thick and at least the width of the neck pup cavity. Roughly mark up the shape of the neck pup cavity and if you have access to a bandsaw cut the shape and the handle can be say 40-50mm wide. I drill a large hole in the top of the handle and use pot plant hanging basket hangers in the hole so you can hang the body.
I use a wedge shape piece of wood in a front edge and the back - the back wedge keeps pressure on the front wedge.
Note I wouldn't recommend putting the hanger in a vice, its purely to hang the body while painting or curing.
As most set neck kits have a thin amount of timber under the neck pocket I wouldn't recommend drilling holes into this in fear of drilling through
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/37t5e-2014-04-13-08.38.20.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/69d82-2014-04-13-08.38.41.jpg

ponch
11-06-2014, 06:50 AM
This. You are a legend mate. Thanks so much for your help.

wokkaboy
11-06-2014, 06:56 AM
no worries Andrew, remember not to tap the wedges in too hard, you will know when the hanger feels solid enough

ponch
11-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Noted. Thanks again. Hopefully the kit comes tomorrow. Can't wait to get started.

wokkaboy
11-06-2014, 07:16 AM
what you building again Andrew, a EX-1A ?
start sanding the minute it arrives after a quick mock build

ponch
11-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Yeah mate will do. Got the official pitbull paper coming with it as well so I'm ready. It will (hopefully) be a silver burst explorer with prs style binding. Mods so far planned are 500k pots, some hotter pickups, drop caps, and a decal for the heads stock. Any tips on where bi can get a white decal or water slide done up?

wokkaboy
11-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Think a forum member found somewhere that makes white decals (might have been Barrylicious or Bargeloobs) but try forumite Andyport at citysigns@internode.on.net

he has made many excellent vinyl logos for some of the builds here including some of mine.
Start a build diary when the kit arrives and start training for some sanding !

ponch
11-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the hot tip mate. I've made a kit in the past, an orange thinline Tele. I got it as a gift a year ago so have no idea what the brand of it is. An eBay special I think. Sounds great but the neck needs a bit of love. Came up a treat though. Excited to do this one properly