PDA

View Full Version : Measuring and drilling before finishing?

twins4me
07-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi

The approach from the online instructions seems to be finish the guitar completely (sanding/staining/painting) and then do the assembly. Does it make any difference if I install the bridge, position the neck and drill the holes, and pickguard holes then remove all the hardware and complete the finish before redoing the assembly?

I understand that there is additional work in putting things on, taking them off then putting them back on again but that doesn't bother me. Since it is my first build I would like to be able to worry about how things should go together and getting the neck alignment perfect without worrying about messing up the finish I have spent a lot of time on.

Does anybody know of any reason that I shouldn't take this approach?

Thanks

Stuart

pablopepper
07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
It's a good idea to drill at least the neck and bridge, that way you can make sure it's aligned correctly. The rest depends on how you're planning on finishing your guitar. If you are going to be doing any wet sanding you want as few holes as possible because any water that seeps in to them could expand the wood and ruin your finish.

Gavin1393
07-06-2014, 01:16 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from twins4me on June 6, 2014, 18:45
The approach from the online instructions seems to be finish the guitar completely (sanding/staining/painting) and then do the assembly. Does it make any difference if I install the bridge, position the neck and drill the holes, and pickguard holes then remove all the hardware and complete the finish before redoing the assembly?

I am pretty sure the instructions say to complete a mock build first.

We encourage this because in the very rare circumstance that there is something seriously wrong with the kit this is the best time to pick it up. The worst time is after you have spent hour upon hour sanding your guitar and then days painting and curing and then discovering the issue.

So put the guitar together taking into consideration whether there is a need for wet sanding or not and to be sure you have everything you are supposed to have in the appropriate proportions and sizes before you start proper!

twins4me
08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Apologies, I assumed the mock build was just a dry fit of the parts to check that everything was present in the kit.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Stuart