PDA

View Full Version : metallic acryllic paint

ponch
06-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Hey guys. I've been doing some research into metallic spray cans and there seems to be a few different ways to go about things. Just wondering g what you guys think would be the best way.
Basically it'll be sealed with timbermate, sanded back, then an primer surfacer, sanded back. Here is where I need help. Some say sand in between each colour coat then proceed, others say don't sand because it's metallic. Not too sure what to do so any help would be appreciated. Colour is a silver with black and white metallics, white, lilac and red pearls.

pablopepper
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
The trick with rattle cans is to heat them up for a while in hot tap water before you spray and do lots of very light coats. This way you shouldn't need to sand in between coats unless you get crud sticking to it or runs (but that's why you do light coats). Then do a fine sand before clear.

ponch
06-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Even with metallic a find sand before clear. From what I've heard the sand tends to take the metallic bits of the surface defeating the purpose of a metallic paint. Thanks for the tip of many light coats. After the metallic is down I'll be doing a solid colour burst. Should I put a few clear layers between the metallic and the black?

Brendan
06-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Andrew - whatever you do - acrylic, oil, etc, the trick is thin coats.

jarrod
06-06-2014, 12:47 PM
OK Andrew NO NO NO do not cut the metallic back what ever you do.
Very light coats so that you just get coverage. one thin coat of clear to seal it in, then one coat of your burst then your clear coats, leave it for two - three weeks to harden then cut your clear coats right back so that its shiney but a thin finish as Brendan says.

dingobass
06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Yay for the Jman! Just knew he would be along to solve this one.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how freely information is passed on in this community... I love it! :)

stan
06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
timing is perfect Jarrod, was thinking aboput this type of finish myself - thanks

Good luck with yours Andrew

ponch
06-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks so much guys. I want to make sure I get this right the first time and with the advice from you fellas I'm sure I'll nail it. Thanks again guys. And Jarrod, your a lifesaver.

jarrod
07-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Hey no worries Andrew I'm only glad to help.

pablopepper
07-06-2014, 05:00 AM
Oops, sorry bro. Jarrod's the paint guru around here, he's the man to listen to.

ponch
16-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Do you think a few fine most coats over the metallic before I do the burst is a good idea. Just thinking it may be a good insurance policy incase I get a few wayward black dots I can go back over with some steel wool real light just until the dot is removed and the clear will protect the silver.

ultpanzi
16-06-2014, 10:27 AM
I dont see a problem with that except that you might lose a little tone from the thickness of the finish, but if youre fine with that, its a sensible idea.

ponch
16-06-2014, 10:31 AM
It's my first burst so just to err on the safe side I think I'll go with it.

stan
16-06-2014, 10:13 PM
the only disadvantage with that idea is the ability to blend your black and silver as well. But with some finesse you should get a nice result

ponch
16-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Ahhhh now I don't know what to do haha. I'd go with you Stan but seeing as it's a metallic finish, any black overspray I'll need to sand wrecking the metallic underneath. Confused now ....

Brendan
17-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Andrew - how about getting some cheapo pine / ash from the big green barn and trying it out? Get a touch of practice in and work out which way works best for you.... I think when you come down to it, there are many ways to skin a cat - different ways work for each person better or worse.

ponch
17-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Heh that's the go I think. I'll use a sheet of cardcoard the shaape of the ex and have a crack. No green sheds out this way unfortunately.

Andyport
18-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Yeah, a couple of thin clear coats over the silver before spraying the black burst is a good idea.
Especially seeming that it's your first build. As you say, it's a good insurance policy.
I did that with my paisley JM...sprayed clear over the print before I did the black burst.
Worked fine...blended nicely. Although I use a touchup spray gun, which would give more control than rattle cans, but you should be fine.