PDA

View Full Version : IB-5 Jack Help!

SIMpleONe89
05-06-2014, 02:59 AM
Hey guys I decided to revisit an old project. Last time, I had problems with the jack. I couldn't attach the nut from the control cavity as there isn't enough room. Has anyone had this problem before and what did you do to resolve this?

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/7xqh3-IMG_20140604_135715.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2v809-IMG_20140604_135721.jpg

dingobass
05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
O Joy...There are a few options here.

1: Counter bore the hole on the outside so the jack plugs sits in a recess, allowing you to get the nut on.
2: Epoxy the jack in place... this is OK if you NEVER want to remove the jack....

Brendan
05-06-2014, 12:25 PM
What - DB - go to the naughty room! I thought that according to you, there was never any room for epoxy on a guitar...

Gavin1393
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on June 4, 2014, 21:25
What - DB - go to the naughty room! I thought that according to you, there was never any room for epoxy on a guitar...

Absolutely Brendan! I spent 6 months in solitary in the naughty room for daring to use the word 'Epoxy' and 'guitar' in the same sentence!

dingobass
05-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Hahahaha!
Trust our Bman to pick me up on that :)
He never misses a trick! 8-)

SIMpleONe89
05-06-2014, 11:12 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 4, 2014, 20:19
O Joy...There are a few options here.

1: Counter bore the hole on the outside so the jack plugs sits in a recess, allowing you to get the nut on.
2: Epoxy the jack in place... this is OK if you NEVER want to remove the jack....

Thanks db I should have done option 1. I wrapped some duct tape over the jack to make it a tight fit and hammered it in, but now it's too tight to come out! Big mistake!

wokkaboy
06-06-2014, 02:54 AM
I had the same problem with my IB5 SimpleOne. I bored the inside of the jack hole so the nut would reach the thread. You could do either way. This way the jack plate would still be flush with the body

And DB it seems you are spending more time IN the naughty room than out of it so you may need a new supervisor !

SIMpleONe89
06-06-2014, 05:50 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on June 5, 2014, 11:54
I had the same problem with my IB5 SimpleOne. I bored the inside of the jack hole so the nut would reach the thread. You could do either way. This way the jack plate would still be flush with the body

And DB it seems you are spending more time IN the naughty room than out of it so you may need a new supervisor !

Thanks wokka. How did you do it considering that it's such a small space and impossible for the drill to fit?

wokkaboy
06-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Hey SimpleOne, it was about 10 months ago so about 20 builds ago but from memory I used a round sandpaper bit on a dremel and just slowly sanded away where the nut sits now, didn't need to remove much timber, just enough to get the nut on the thread. A spade drill probably won't work and you really need a small pilot hole or it could go anywhere and cause damage.
If you don't own a dremel I'd use the largest drill bit you have and very carefully try and remove some timber near the hole. It doesn't have to be a tidy job as it will be under the cover and probably under copper shielding. Just angle the drill as much as possible (put down some protection like a sheet of cardboard on the body) and gently drill out the perimeter

Brendan
06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Wokks - I think it might be the Gwen Stephanie more than the 20 odd builds :)...

SIMpleONe89
06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on June 5, 2014, 14:59
Hey SimpleOne, it was about 10 months ago so about 20 builds ago but from memory I used a round sandpaper bit on a dremel and just slowly sanded away where the nut sits now, didn't need to remove much timber, just enough to get the nut on the thread. A spade drill probably won't work and you really need a small pilot hole or it could go anywhere and cause damage.
If you don't own a dremel I'd use the largest drill bit you have and very carefully try and remove some timber near the hole. It doesn't have to be a tidy job as it will be under the cover and probably under copper shielding. Just angle the drill as much as possible (put down some protection like a sheet of cardboard on the body) and gently drill out the perimeter

Wow 20 builds ago! haha that's a lot! For now I've already jammed it so tight that it won't come out so I may try next time. Thanks for the help!

wokkaboy
07-06-2014, 12:11 AM
hey SimpleOne, thats a very rough guess of build numbers. Just make sure the output jack doesn't come loose