PDA

View Full Version : Correctly identifying noise source

ihasmario
03-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

I rewired my guitar because of a noise problem. Now I have a different one I can't diagnose, and I am getting to the point where the joints aren't cleaning up as nicely as they used to. It's related to grounding, as touching the grounded knobs causes it to disappear. The sound is a high pitch whispering (think RFI), but it only happens while I am playing, and it happens identically on both pickups, including when both pickups are going to ground.

Tomorrow I am going to double check that I haven't forgotten to ground anything...

I've tried disconnecting the capacitors and it still occurs.

Everything I can measure a ground on to a cable has roughly the same resistance.from the soldered ground to the sleeve of the cable.

Any ideas? Or rewire again?

dingobass
03-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Assuming you have totally shielded the control rout out, it could be any number of things.
A dodgy pot, a single strand of wire earthing out- (had this one, took three hours and a very strong magnifying glass to locate), dodgy out put jack socket ( an old fav of the Gavmeister and I is to wire it the wrong way around, this can cause general weirdness).

Gavin1393
04-06-2014, 10:44 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 3, 2014, 07:59
Assuming you have totally shielded the control rout out, it could be any number of things.
A dodgy pot, a single strand of wire earthing out- (had this one, took three hours and a very strong magnifying glass to locate), dodgy out put jack socket ( an old fav of the Gavmeister and I is to wire it the wrong way around, this can cause general weirdness).

...which is why I have made an adaptor lead that reverses the reversed "hot" and "ground" leads to immediately figure out if I have done it again.....

wokkaboy
05-06-2014, 02:56 AM
cool idea Gavmiester, can you please post a photo of what a reverse adaptor lead looks like ? Would be funny when you plug this in and all the problems are fixed !

Gavin1393
05-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Sure Wokka ???????

PBG supplied guitar lead cut in half, and re-wired to the 'wrong' wires....

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/me796-jack2jack.jpg

dingobass
05-06-2014, 06:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!
That is quite brilliant, Gav....
Touch wood, I have not made this mistake for quite a while..... :P

Gavin1393
05-06-2014, 07:24 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 4, 2014, 15:24
HAHAHAHAHA!
That is quite brilliant, Gav....
Touch wood, I have not made this mistake for quite a while..... :P

Used it very successfully on the last guitar I put together (my headless guitar) but the dang tuners stripped.....so much for the Overlord of Music!

dingobass
05-06-2014, 11:27 AM
OH CRAP! exactly the same problem I had with a Sl(Hip)sho(t)d headless Bass bridge I spent over 300 bucks on...
I am thinking I have a spare Overlord bridge here lurking arouind a dark and dusty corner of the Man Cave, quite happy to send it to you if you need it :)

ihasmario
08-06-2014, 02:36 PM
The noise source disappeared and got replaced with another one which was way easier to diagnose. Not sure what it was, but it's all gone now.

I've got another problem I need to sort out now, the south end of the humbucker is quieter than the north, and the positions for series, parallel and split (1) sound the same. I suspect there is a short, or something I forgot to ground...

Going to be hard to investigate without taking all the knobs out of the control plate.

Gavin1393
09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 4, 2014, 20:27
OH CRAP! exactly the same problem I had with a Sl(Hip)sho(t)d headless Bass bridge I spent over 300 bucks on...
I am thinking I have a spare Overlord bridge here lurking arouind a dark and dusty corner of the Man Cave, quite happy to send it to you if you need it :)

DB, that would be great if you can send it my way. Cheers!

dingobass
09-06-2014, 11:55 PM
No worries Gavmeister. I will retrieve it and post out to you today (hopefully, not feeling too flash ATM but I should come good)

wokkaboy
10-06-2014, 01:39 AM
we saw that overlord of music bridge in your bottom right drawer from memory DB.
Hope your back gets better DB, you may have to pour a turkey for some pain relief mate !

dingobass
10-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Hahaha, I would love to Woks but She who must be obeyed without question has put me on booze rations..... Must admit I was getting through half a bottle of Turkey a night so she well may have a good reason......

wokkaboy
10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
So if DB is on booze rations that should leave more for the naughty room residents!