PDA

View Full Version : acrylic burst? doable?

ponch
03-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi guys. For my first kit I want to do a silverburst finish on an ash bodied explorer. Is acrylic the best bet? And what are some good brands to check out. I live in rural qld so getting paint may be a bit of a pain. Also, I've heard the 3m 1/4" pin striping paint works wonders for masking of faux binding. What do you guys reckon. Thanks heaps.

gavinturner
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey Andrew,

Personally, for my solid spray builds I have always had good experiences using the acrylic touch-up paints from Supercheapauto. The range of colours is good and they spray really nicely from the nozzle (no drips). I generally buy 2-3 cans for a build up-front in case I need ro re-coat.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Gav.

ponch
03-06-2014, 12:14 PM
thanks for the heads up mate. i'm pretty sure they'd have a gloss metallic silver and a gloss black. as for clear coats, just use the same brand as the paints or do you recommend something else? also, is a primer/sealer the way to go before paint or do you think something else would be better. cheers.

gavinturner
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes I would recommend grain filling with a slurry of Timbermate, and then using a general purpose primer before laying down your colour coats. I currently am using acrylic auto clear from a spray gun, but any spray-can auto acrylic clear should be equivalent. Minwax wipe-on poly is also a good affordable choice for a couple of thin clear coats, assuming you have a spray finish on there. Bunnngs sells this.

If you use acrylic clear, check out Jarrod's video tutorial on spraying, buffing and polishing to get great results from your clear.

cheers,
Gav.

ponch
03-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Awesome thanks mate. Ordered the kit last night, bring on the silverburst ex. Now to find some pin striping tape...