PDA

View Full Version : Gday

ponch
03-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Hey pitbull crew. Just introducing myself. Haven't bought my kit yet, too many great ones to choose from. Had my eye on the gretsch but after reading about some of the problems I might put it off for a bit. So now it's a toss up between the ex, esp or rg7. Can anyone tell me what kit would be better, the ex or the esp and is ash or basswood the better wood for painted finishes. Can't wait to get started. Cheers.

Gavin1393
03-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi Andrew, quick and relevant question, how much experience have you had with guitar building and with electronics? Knowing this will help us to guide you.

ponch
03-06-2014, 08:49 AM
With building just the one kit I got a few years back. Unsure of the brand as it was a gift so didn't want to mention it on here. It's a thin line Tele in a cross between an gretsch orange and that on the new falcons. Semi gloss. As for electronics I've soldered all my own leads and patch chords, some repairs and switch replacements on my other guitars and that Tele. I'm in no way an expert but I can solder a bit haha.

Gavin1393
03-06-2014, 09:43 AM
The Ex and ESP wiring is the same, no real difficulty with these. Not sure which model you are referring to with the RG-7?

ponch
03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Is it the ib 7 string? The one modelled after the Ibanez rg 7 string with locking trem.

ponch
03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
After a bit of reading tonight I think I'll get the ex with ash first up. Setting up the trem seems to be a bit of a pain, that'll be the next build. Ooh and maybe a 5 string bass...

Brendan
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Everyone's gotta have a 5 string bass :). Welcome along Andrew - keen to see how the EX comes out. Should be a good kit - generally the ash bodies have been very impressive in terms of looks.

wokkaboy
04-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Hey Andrew, welcome to the forum, good luck with the EX build, if you are going to finish it with solid paint you might as well order the standard basswood Ex-1 kit, would be a shame to cover that beautiful ash grain !

ponch
04-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Reason for the ash, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is for its bright and punchy characteristics. I'm a metal head at heart so thing is getting a set of 12-62's and will live in drop b land. I've heard basswood can get muddy in standard let alone drop tunings.

Fretworn
04-06-2014, 01:51 AM
Most "metal" guitars from the 80's and 90's were basswood, but yes ash is a brighter sounding wood than basswood. Having said that I haven't had a issue with muddy-ness on my basswood kit guitar. The other reason for the ash kits is the grain is much more prominent.

ponch
04-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The ash kit is ordered but next time I know to save a few quid if I'm gonna paint it. Next kit will be an ib7 with a spalted maple cap.

wokkaboy
04-06-2014, 05:18 AM
no worries Andrew, don't think the IB7 is available with a spalted maple cap but sure Adam can organise a special order. Don't even think about putting solid paint on that !

ponch
04-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Yeah I emailed him last night. Should get here about August/september. That one will be stained for sure. Thinking of going a deep red like kanes lp but with a very slight black burst and lots of darker grain to make it almost look like a molten fire reflected in clouds.

wokkaboy
04-06-2014, 05:50 AM
sounds like a cool plan Andrew for the IB7

ponch
04-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Thanks mate. Always wanted a 7 string. Man I hope they do an 8 string kit. I'd grab that in an instant.

wokkaboy
04-06-2014, 06:12 AM
why would you want an 8 string axe Andrew ? Is that to play really low chords ?

ponch
04-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Kind of. The low string, when played in a chord can sound muddy. It's tuned to an f#, so imagine playing a chord on 2nd fret of a bass with stacks of distortion. I'd personally use it for single note stuff but some stuff some bands do with 8 string sweeped arpeggios are insane. If you get a chance check out a guy called tosin abassi on YouTube. He is the guitarist from an instrumental band called animals as leaders. Insane.

Oh, and it sounds metal as ****

wokkaboy
04-06-2014, 06:38 AM
wow he sounds cool, just listened to the 1st search 'wave of babies on EMGTV'

ponch
04-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Different. The guys a freak. I mean he incorporates slap bass with tapping.

adam
04-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Andrew, I saw you earlier post. If you want an IB-7 with a spalted maple veneer, it would have to be a custom order, with a 50% deposit. If you want to go ahead, email me and we can get it happening.

ponch
04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks Adam. I was speaking to my wife today and she wants to do it for my birthday in September I think. If not I'll will be ordering it myself pretty soon. Just have to make her understand 10 electrics is perfectly normal haha.

Gavin1393
04-06-2014, 02:52 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from andrew on June 3, 2014, 18:34
Thanks Adam. I was speaking to my wife today and she wants to do it for my birthday in September I think. If not I'll will be ordering it myself pretty soon. Just have to make her understand 10 electrics is perfectly normal haha.

How many pairs of shoes does she have......my arrangement is one guitar per pair of her shoes.....#50 is currently speeding its way to my grubby paws from PBG HQ!

ponch
04-06-2014, 09:01 PM
You sir are a genius. I'll have to use that haha.

Analyst69
05-06-2014, 09:49 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on June 3, 2014, 23:52

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from andrew on June 3, 2014, 18:34

How many pairs of shoes does she have......my arrangement is one guitar per pair of her shoes.....#50 is currently speeding its way to my grubby paws from PBG HQ!

Welcome Andrew.

Now this shoe thing has started a debate in my house.

My wife has 400ish pairs of shoes and says I'd be lucky to get to 1:4 guitars to shoes ratio.

She then suggested that I can have one guitar for each equivalent length of shoes (I think a firebird is maybe about 7 pairs long)....this would give me 57 guitars.

Now she is saying I have to buy her 5 pairs of shoes each time I buy a guitar...the goalposts keep moving....I say I have to catch up with her shoes first (I think I am at about 11 guitars if I include the unbuilt kits)....and now she is saying don't put that on the internet! :)

ponch
06-06-2014, 11:42 PM
My wife supports my GAS to an extent. The old yeah you can get that if you want. Later on, could be days, could be months, she'll use it against me with the big old "well you bought that guitar. How many do you need, you can't play them all". We've all been there haha.

Fretworn
07-06-2014, 01:54 AM
Unfortunately the shoe arguement wouldn't work with my wife. I've apparently reached the limit of the number of guitars I can have, she's agreed to a one guitar in, one guitar out arrangement!

ponch
07-06-2014, 05:27 AM
brutal. thatd be like giving up kids. even my first guitar, a pos ibanez will never leave me.

wokkaboy
07-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Fretty you may have to work out a way of the guitars you have reproducing or swap a single neck for a twin neck kit !

lawry
07-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Ah gentlemen. I can truly understand your dilemma but fortunately I don't suffer from it. Believe me, I'm glad. It would be bold of me to say my wife accepts my GAS but it would be closer to the truth to say 'tolerates'. Fortunately, the band plays often enough that it will fund my musical addictions. It's just that I'm in a 'studio gear' phase at the moment. Once I've saved enough for those toys it will be back to the guitars. Especially the new, gorgeous, hollowbody, ES-3 jazz demon. Mmmm. Can't wait to see how Weirdy's turns out!

Brendan
07-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Frets - have you got any friends that you trust? You could lend one of them a guitar with the ulterior motive of "teaching them guitar", bemoan the fact you have a blank space for a guitar and then go about fixing the issue with a new guitar. When the first guitar comes back, you then obvoiusly need a new stand to make sure you don't damage it which means you then have all these blank spaces that need to be filled with more guitars - after all, you can't have only one guitar in a 7 guitar stand...